GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BMR radiator brace, ok for daily drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/06, 07:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblr
You could do that and take it out for a test drive. Probably want to wire both ends of the bar to the car. For safety reasons, you want to take it out completely if you're going to drive around for awhile. And definately at the track, although some folks have been known to just wire it up while at the track.
Why don't they just take out 1 end-link? That renders the sway bar useless, and it won't be dangerous, either.
Old 11/29/06, 06:01 PM
GTR Member

I took my swaybar and end links off and have been driving around for a few days. There is no more body sway (that I can notice) than with the sway bar and I've been taking corners harder than usual to test out the swaybar removal.

The ride is a little better now, too. Since each lower control arm isn't connected to the frame and to each other via the swaybar, less vibration travels through the body to the driver. The ride is a little less "busy" now and it sorta feels like you float a little over the road.

I could leave it like this, or I could order the BMR kit to get rid of the heavy crossmember since all it's doing now is supporting the radiator.

Also, my car sits more level now since there is zero pre-load on the swaybar causing the car to lean (since there isn't a swaybar to have pre-load on it!).
Old 11/29/06, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I took my swaybar and end links off and have been driving around for a few days. There is no more body sway (that I can notice) than with the sway bar and I've been taking corners harder than usual to test out the swaybar removal.

The ride is a little better now, too. Since each lower control arm isn't connected to the frame and to each other via the swaybar, less vibration travels through the body to the driver. The ride is a little less "busy" now and it sorta feels like you float a little over the road.

I could leave it like this, or I could order the BMR kit to get rid of the heavy crossmember since all it's doing now is supporting the radiator.

Also, my car sits more level now since there is zero pre-load on the swaybar causing the car to lean (since there isn't a swaybar to have pre-load on it!).
Cool, good info. I'll be taking mine off soon to test it as well.
Old 11/29/06, 09:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Cool, good info. I'll be taking mine off soon to test it as well.
Let me know how it feels to you when you do remove it (any body roll? any additional ride comfort?).

I'm still stuck on whether I should buy the kit or not. So far, by removing the swaybar and links for $0.00, I have:

1) removed 15.5 lbs off the nose
2) leveled the car
3) slightly improved ride comfort

If I buy the BMR crossmember, for $149.00, I will:

1) remove 11.0 more lbs off the nose
2) have a neat looking bar under the car that only I will probably see

Is it worth it?
Old 11/29/06, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

If you remove all the stuff mentioned (way bar, links,radiator brace) then add the BMR brace......
Would adding a Strut tower brace help with the handling.
Kinda use it to take up the slack from the missing sway bar?
Old 11/29/06, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by INTRUDER
If you remove all the stuff mentioned (way bar, links,radiator brace) then add the BMR brace......
I don't believe so since the sway bar keeps the car from rolling side to side like a boat, i.e., keeps it level. The strut tower brace is supposed to firm up the front end but would move from side to side with the car if the sway bar is not installed. I don't have a strut tower brace, however, have read minimal handling is gained by them.
Old 11/30/06, 05:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by INTRUDER
Well, of course you would have to get the BMR brace if the stock radiator crossmember is removed since you need something to support the radiator. I'm asking if it's worth $149 to save 11 more lbs and to have a neato bar that nobody will see but me. (Stock brace = 16.5 lbs, BMR brace = 5.5 lbs, difference = 11.0 lbs.) Right now I just have the swaybar and the endlink removed = 15.5 lbs.

The strut tower brace won't do anything for body roll. It helps keep the strut towers from flexing during cornering.
Old 12/1/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

"The strut tower brace won't do anything for body roll. It helps keep the strut towers from flexing during cornering."

Just asking now......

Is this not a contridiction?
Isn't the top of the strut tower connected to the bottom......hence
making the top stiffer makes the bottom stiffer, thus helping with the negative aspects body roll?

Dumb Question #2?

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds?

Less wieght=minus bracket......better handling=sway bar.

Would shedding 30 pounds at the waist line have the same effect at the finish line ,as removing the same weight all the way at the front and low?

I think two different principles are in effect here.
IF, someone can..... please explain to me how/why the front end deletion helps so much with ET AND TOP SPEED?
Old 12/1/06, 07:54 PM
GTR Member

"The strut tower brace won't do anything for body roll. It helps keep the strut towers from flexing during cornering."
Just asking now......
Is this not a contridiction?
Isn't the top of the strut tower connected to the bottom......hence
making the top stiffer makes the bottom stiffer, thus helping with the negative aspects body roll?

No. The body roll the swaybar prevents is the entire body and frame leaning (or rolling) one way or another around a corner. The strut tower brace prevents the top of the strut towers from getting closer to one another or farther apart from one another when turning. If you put a strut tower brace on, the strut towers will remain the same distance apart through a corner, but the body and frame will still roll through a corner.

Dumb Question #2?

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds?
Less wieght=minus bracket......better handling=sway bar.
Would shedding 30 pounds at the waist line have the same effect at the finish line ,as removing the same weight all the way at the front and low?
I think two different principles are in effect here.
IF, someone can..... please explain to me how/why the front end deletion helps so much with ET AND TOP SPEED?

I may not be able to help as much with this one. I think the car handles for street driving just as well without the swaybar as it did with the swaybar. Now if I was road racing, I may want the swaybar back. I had a guy (who also owns a 2006 Mustang GT) drive my car this morning and I told him I beefed up the front sway bar (when actually it's missing!)... I told him to let me know how it handled through some turns. When he came back he told me it felt the same as it did before (not that there was more body roll). So, I made him focus on the handling without telling him the swaybar was missing. If it rolled more, he would have said the "beefed up" swaybar wasn't working.
Old 12/2/06, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I took my front sway bar off many months ago for two reasons. 1. to get rid of that **** clunking sound on the passenger front side of the car and 2. Becuase I wanted better weight transfer to the rear wheels.
When the sway bar is removed and you get on it the front raises up in the air just like in the ole days.......really cool If any of you old guys remember. I can.......barely

I liked it so much I installed the BMR front sway and radiator support delete.

I have not noticed any difference in handling. I dont take corners like a wild man either.

I went a step further and installed the dual STB and it tightened up the front of the car very noticably.

Unless you have a specific reason/s for removing this stuff there is no sense in doing so.
Attached Thumbnails BMR radiator brace, ok for daily drivers-p1000101-small-.jpg  
Old 12/2/06, 04:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GT John
I took my front sway bar off many months ago for two reasons. 1. to get rid of that **** clunking sound on the passenger front side of the car and 2. Becuase I wanted better weight transfer to the rear wheels.
When the sway bar is removed and you get on it the front raises up in the air just like in the ole days.......really cool If any of you old guys remember. I can.......barely

I liked it so much I installed the BMR front sway and radiator support delete.

I have not noticed any difference in handling. I dont take corners like a wild man either.

I went a step further and installed the dual STB and it tightened up the front of the car very noticably.

Unless you have a specific reason/s for removing this stuff there is no sense in doing so.
I like how it raises up a little more, too, when you get on it. I also like the absence of any pre-load on the swaybar. I also like how it brings back some ride comfort since each side is truely independant now and there are no forces acting on the frame. I also like almost 30lbs of dead weight off the nose. All of this and it still doesn't roll through the corners.

These should be good enough reasons for anybody to remove it.

No STB for me with the shaker, though! Curious... what STB is that that clears the plenum cover? Before the shaker, I had a MWAG plenum cover and couldn't find a STB to clear it.
Old 12/3/06, 10:04 PM
GTR Member

GT John?
Old 12/4/06, 03:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
GT John?

GMS Dual STB. With a little work.
Available from Jegs.com