GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BMR Lower Control Arm (LCA) and Relocation Bracket Installation (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/07, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Interesting. I was originally I was planning on keeping my stock LCA's because BMR told me they'd fit in either hole.
you can use two bolts in place of the bolt with spacer. The stock arms should fit that way.
Old 11/15/07, 07:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT
Can you post some shots of the completed work w/ the wheels back on, to show the difference in ground clearance w/ the new bracket?

ALSO--how much clearance is there between the new brackets and the lip of the wheels? I'm running a 9.5" wheel so I'd like to see where the brackets are compared to the stock 18x8.5.
Maybe Leo can take some pics of those 2 things.
If not, I'll see him this Sunday at a carshow we're entering, will takes pics then.

One other thing--what is the purpose of the relocation brackets? Just to bring the suspension geometry back to stock alignment after lowering? Does this aid launching or traction?
I've read that it's to correct the rear geometry in relation to the rear axle after a car is lowered. Or, to provide more of a downward force on the rear axle when the car is launched forward.
Old 11/15/07, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty Sweet Bill!

Can you post some shots of the completed work w/ the wheels back on, to show the difference in ground clearance w/ the new bracket?

TONS of speedbumps here in AZ, I usually go over them with only one side of the car...might hit the brackets if they're pretty low.

ALSO--how much clearance is there between the new brackets and the lip of the wheels? I'm running a 9.5" wheel so I'd like to see where the brackets are compared to the stock 18x8.5.

Thanks!
Speed bumps should not be an issue with the Brackets installed since they are in about the same location as the centerline of the wheel.

Richard
Old 11/15/07, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill, why do they give you the option or a higher or lower hole on the relocation bracket? Is it there because some cars are obviously lower than others?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11/15/07, 10:21 AM
RKW

What concerns me about my BMR drop brackets is the fact that they are now the lowest point on my car and provide less than 3 inches of ground clearance with the stock 27 inch diameter tires:

Attachment 35744

One of my LCA's is slightly bent and now I cannot use the local car wash as the bracket interferes with the rail system. I am worried that if I ever hit a RR track or some other obstruction at speed there will be major damage.

BTW, it does not look as though I could use the upper hole with the stock LCA without modifying it. So much for adjustability. If I did use the upper hole, I would be even more worried about the bracket catching on something.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bracket that works with stock LCAs and provides minimal drop?
Attached Thumbnails BMR Lower Control Arm (LCA) and Relocation Bracket Installation (w/pics)-005.jpg  
Old 11/15/07, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RKW
What concerns me about my BMR drop brackets is the fact that they are now the lowest point on my car and provide less than 3 inches of ground clearance with the stock 27 inch diameter tires:

Attachment 35744

One of my LCA's is slightly bent and now I cannot use the local car wash as the bracket interferes with the rail system. I am worried that if I ever hit a RR track or some other obstruction at speed there will be major damage.

BTW, it does not look as though I could use the upper hole with the stock LCA without modifying it. So much for adjustability. If I did use the upper hole, I would be even more worried about the bracket catching on something.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bracket that works with stock LCAs and provides minimal drop?
Since the bracket is attached to the axle I don't think it would be possible to bottom out unless there's a rod or something crazy sticking out of the road in which case I guess you'd be screwed anyways.
Old 11/15/07, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Maybe Leo can take some pics of those 2 things.
If not, I'll see him this Sunday at a carshow we're entering, will takes pics then.

I've read that it's to correct the rear geometry in relation to the rear axle after a car is lowered. Or, to provide more of a downward force on the rear axle when the car is launched forward.

Thanks for the clarification
Old 11/19/07, 09:01 AM

Got some ground clearance pics from Leo's car yesterday.

Tires are 235/50ZR18 (stock 18" Bullitt)

Old 11/19/07, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Only about 1" lower than the sway bar.

Richard
Old 11/19/07, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the additional pics, Bill.
Old 11/20/07, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

BMR Lower Control Arms

I went to the BMR homepage and discovered 3 different sets of lower control arms and I didn't see any explanation of the differences. I am interested in getting rid of the wheel hop, not racing or lowering my 07 GT. Will the $129 version serve this purpose?

Ron
Old 11/20/07, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ronslakie
I went to the BMR homepage and discovered 3 different sets of lower control arms and I didn't see any explanation of the differences. I am interested in getting rid of the wheel hop, not racing or lowering my 07 GT. Will the $129 version serve this purpose?

Ron
Yes those are the ones you see installed in the write-up above.
Old 11/24/07, 09:38 PM
RKW

There are other brackets that would give more ground clearance in this application since the lower mounting point is not used. For stock (or GT500) LCAs, the BMR brackets are too low for street use IMHO.
Old 11/28/07, 02:24 AM
Banned

Thanks for the install write-up Bill, it was very done. I just ordered my car today and you have inspired me to do some of these installs myself. Thanks!

As a noob, I must ask, were the bushings greased with a "grease gun"? Also, what type of grease was used? TIA
Old 11/28/07, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by LonghornTX
As a noob, I must ask, were the bushings greased with a "grease gun"? Also, what type of grease was used? TIA
ur welcome!

Yes, I used a standard grease gun. Mine was preloaded with SeaDoo synthetic grease (for my watercraft, but's it's fully synthetic and waterproof), so that's what I used.

If I had to go buy a grease cartridge, I'd probably get the Mobil 1 since I'm using it's products already.
Old 11/28/07, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Interesting. I was originally I was planning on keeping my stock LCA's because BMR told me they'd fit in either hole.

I'll be the next one to confirm that the stock Ford LCA's will not go together using the top hole in the BMR relo bracket. However, I've been driving my car with the BMR relo brackets and the stock Ford LCAs in the lower hole for over a year with no ground clearance issues. You'd have to drive a rear tire nearly parallel off a tall concrete curb to hit it due to its close proximity to the tire.

Another function of the relo brackets besides returning the suspension angles to more of a stock set-up for lowered cars is that you can make adjustments to the car's instant center to control weight distribution for launching your car.

Lastly, regarding marking the shocks, that is one way to estimate normal ride height. The car should be at normal ride height before tightening the LCA bolts in order to prevent pre-loading the suspension. If you go with LCAs with rod ends, you don't need to have the car at ride height to tighten the bolts. Other ways to accomplish this... a drive-on lift or jack the car up and set the her down on ramps so you still have room to get under the car to get to the bolts.
Old 11/28/07, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had the BMR LCA's and relo brackets on my car for about two years, no issues with ground clearance. I am using the older BMR tubular LCA and the weld in bracket with the stock sway bar and mounts. My car is lowered 1.3" front and 1.5" rear.

The issue I have with the relo bracket is that the right side bracket makes contact with the sway bar when I turn to the right on an incline, as in going from the street into a drive way or parking lot that has anything more than a 10 degree incline. This only happens with the right side bracket.

Has anyone experienced that problem, if so, did you correct it and how did you do it.

Bobby M.
Attached Thumbnails BMR Lower Control Arm (LCA) and Relocation Bracket Installation (w/pics)-pa210248a.jpg  
Old 11/28/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Since there was talk of clearance I just noticed in the above picture that the LCA Bracket does not appear to be any lower than the gas tank already sits.

Richard
Old 11/28/07, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
I have had the BMR LCA's and relo brackets on my car for about two years, no issues with ground clearance. I am using the older BMR tubular LCA and the weld in bracket with the stock sway bar and mounts. My car is lowered 1.3" front and 1.5" rear.

The issue I have with the relo bracket is that the right side bracket makes contact with the sway bar when I turn to the right on an incline, as in going from the street into a drive way or parking lot that has anything more than a 10 degree incline. This only happens with the right side bracket.

Has anyone experienced that problem, if so, did you correct it and how did you do it.

Bobby M.
seeing how yours are welded on I would think grinding some of the bracket away enough to clear the sway bar would be ok.
Old 11/28/07, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
seeing how yours are welded on I would think grinding some of the bracket away enough to clear the sway bar would be ok.
Looking at ToacBill's photos above seems like BMR added that radiused section to clear the sway bar. I'll have to check out mine tonight.

Quick Reply: BMR Lower Control Arm (LCA) and Relocation Bracket Installation (w/pics)