GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is the "Black Box" , i.e., the Tattletell module

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/05, 12:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
module that could be unplugged and removed? Not to start a wild debate - just wondering the "mechanics" of the thing?

Anyone familiar with it? :scratch:
Old 2/9/05, 12:22 AM
V6 Member

I am interested in hearing about this. I talked to the shop foreman at the dealer I used to work at about this today, and he said he has not heard of anything about it yet. He said that the ABS module will record information in the event of an accident, but even then, more than likely the information will only be used if you are trying to sue Ford like saying you were doing 50 and the brakes went out, when it reality you were doing 130 and tried to make a u-turn.

I also asked him what if I blow the motor up, he said don't worry about it, we will take care of ya. So, he seems pretty confident that if there is something, it can be taken care of, provided you know the right people.

As for being disabled, if it does truly exist, then I highly doubt that. It is most likely part of the ECU. I have searched through the online employee area for Ford Technicians (FMCDealer.com) and have not been able to find any information even leading to there being a 'black box' although who knows what Ford would call it. That leads me to believe that it is integrated into the ECU. And that it is not 'black box', just something that serves as a double function, one of which is a 'black box'.
Old 2/9/05, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

It's part of the computer itself. It's really just a buffer. All the data from the computer is logged, and the buffer just holds data samples from the last few seconds, and they roll over and get over-written when the buffer fills. There's no way to remove the hardware, but it *might* be possible to disable the data logging buffer in firmware...this will be something the tuners & programmers will have to figure out.