GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best way to reach 400-425 hp

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/06, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best way to reach 400-425 hp

Now that my exterior mods are all done, I'd like to start thinking about more serious performance mods. My current mod list (see signature) is very short. What I'm wanting to do is be able to produce about 400-425 rwhp w/ out a lot of extra engine modifications. I'd like to do this and keep the rest of my engine stock. I'd like everyone's suggestions. I've researched blowers, superchargers, turbo's etc and I still don't know which one would be the best for me. Again, I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible and keep from having to change gears, etc......... I know 400-425 hp isn't a lofty goal by any means, but I'd be completely satisfied with it. I'd really like something that would give me a lot of low end torque off the line and keep on pulling throughout the midrange as well. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and your help.

Also, what kind of $$$$$$$ could I expect to spend.......I'm just lookin for ballpark figures here.
Old 8/13/06, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger. im biased but go kenne bell best bang for the buck.
Old 8/13/06, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 94tbird
supercharger. im biased but go kenne bell best bang for the buck.
Definatly, if you want to keep low end torque stay away from any centrifical unit. I've driven many different Vortech's and Paxton's on the 3v's and below 3000 rpm's you wouldn't even know it was supercharged.

You can get in on a Saleen or Magnacharger unit for around 5G too.
Old 8/13/06, 10:17 PM
Cam Tease

Anything twin-screw will do.
Old 8/13/06, 10:33 PM

i say kennebell most reliable and well known

also get every bolt on u can think of
Old 8/14/06, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I know 400-425 hp isn't a lofty goal by any means, but I'd be completely satisfied with it.
We have heard that before. Once you get to 425 you know you will want more.
Old 8/14/06, 09:15 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll have to supercharge your car,

At 415 RWHP, I think the rods could be in danger
Old 8/14/06, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
super charger
Old 8/14/06, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like a supercharger is in your future
Old 8/14/06, 12:22 PM

rods in danger at 415 RWHP???
C'mon so many of us are running more power than that without a problem.
The Kenne Bell kit puts out more than that without changing pullies. There are lots of KB blown cars out there on stock shortblock.
Old 8/14/06, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm very partial to what I have, which is a Roushcharger. I think you could reach that figure with a 7 psi pulley, which Roush will eventually release (and Steeda is working on an upgrade as well). The 5 psi kits have been putting out 355-370 rwhp (with a few examples making a little more), but I suspect the tune is pretty conservative. I'm going to dyno mine after a few more miles and some cooler temps (non-100+ degrees). Since your hp goals are not that lofty you should consider taking advantage of the superior attention-to-detail that the Roush system has to offer, especially if concerns such as that are high on your list. Their close association with Ford powertrain development shows as the kit is very OE looking and fitting. Due to the conservative nature of this kit, it's certainly not for everyone but I thought in your case it might be worth looking at.
Old 8/14/06, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
I've driven many different Vortech's and Paxton's on the 3v's and below 3000 rpm's you wouldn't even know it was supercharged.
Is that really a bad thing? Seems like having the ability to stay out of the boost would be a good thing for a daily driven street car. After all, doesn't that mean less wear and tear on the clutch, tranny and differential?

I've been asking myself this same question, and as it stands right now I'm torn between a positive displacement blower and a centrifugal model. As much power as turbos are capable of, I don't think that's in the cards for me. Too much temptation to turn up the boost and subsequent damage.
Old 8/14/06, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by uberPony
The Kenne Bell kit puts out more than that without changing pullies. There are lots of KB blown cars out there on stock shortblock.
Yes, there are many healthy motors making good power, that is true. But happens you know. Because of a catalytic converter failure, my rods let loose at under 400rwhp, and with virtually no timing in the car.

And as I've said many times before: If you want to play, be prepared to pay!!
Old 8/14/06, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by GoFaster
Is that really a bad thing? Seems like having the ability to stay out of the boost would be a good thing for a daily driven street car. After all, doesn't that mean less wear and tear on the clutch, tranny and differential?

I've been asking myself this same question, and as it stands right now I'm torn between a positive displacement blower and a centrifugal model. As much power as turbos are capable of, I don't think that's in the cards for me. Too much temptation to turn up the boost and subsequent damage.
During normal street driving, a PD blower isn't in boost at all. My boost/vac gauge shows vacuum (not boost) most of the time. It can pull away from a light nice and mellow, or cruise down the highway like an N/A car. But when you mash the loud pedal, it comes on strong at all rpms, unlike a centri unit which builds boost with rpm.
Old 8/14/06, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

One thing to mention is that the 5 psi Rousch supercharger will cover your 36,000 mile/3 yr warranty on related damages. Then after that period you can swap out the pulley for more boost.
Old 8/14/06, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Anything twin-screw will do.
I second this. KenneBell or Wipple would be my choices.
Scott

Old 8/14/06, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by uberPony

After you have blown up one come back and give your opinion. PLEASE!!!
Old 8/15/06, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Plus you've got 3:73 gears, which already gives you some low end grunt. I know for me, when I go the SC route, I'll want something that stays pretty docile off the line for normal driving as the gears already take care of getting me out of the hole pretty well. But as said earlier, once you hit the go pedal, that's when I want the boost.

With taller gears, wouldn't that be the preferred method? Sounds reasonable to me, but then again, I don't know jack.
Old 8/15/06, 10:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azoufan
Plus you've got 3:73 gears, which already gives you some low end grunt. I know for me, when I go the SC route, I'll want something that stays pretty docile off the line for normal driving as the gears already take care of getting me out of the hole pretty well. But as said earlier, once you hit the go pedal, that's when I want the boost.

With taller gears, wouldn't that be the preferred method? Sounds reasonable to me, but then again, I don't know jack.
I know I'm the one asking for the advice here, but that makes sense......doesn't it????????? Anyone? anyone?
Old 8/15/06, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

You should go with the one you think looks the coolest. I like the Saleen myself. Even though you can't see it that well. I like the intercooler placement and, the way the inlet goes over the top.

Quick Reply: Best way to reach 400-425 hp