GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best placement for Jackstands fnt/back?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best placement for Jackstands fnt/back?

As with most of us, the time comes to raise our toys to look, play, tighten, clean, paint, whatever...

What is the best location for floorjack placement (for inital lift) and for jack stand placement, both front and rear?

It appears I will be swapping axle-backs this weekend...whoo hoo! and thought I might do the caliper paint job while it is up.

Thanks for the replies!

=Mach=
Old 1/29/07, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a good question. on the rear some of the forum members have promoted jacking right under the differential housing. Scary, because the owners manual indicates exactly otherwise! Up front some, seem to be jacking on the heavy crossmember holding the sway bar et al, Its pretty stout looking but I wonder. Myself, I try to use a thin piece of wood on the jack and I look for a hard point on the uni body, like up front where the K member attaches. I jack right under the bolt head. I bought one of those pinch weld jack adapters (Eastwood), only to find the adapter is totally unsuitable ... a) it does not transfer the load directly to the pinch weld like your sissor jack does and b) its too big and the rocker panels get in its way. Won't work on my 69 Mustang either.
Old 1/29/07, 06:49 PM
GT Member

For the front, I place the jack pad underneath the center of the crossmember where it ripples. Jackstands at both ends of the crossmember.

for the rear, I jack up by the diff housing. I've done it on other cars for years. You just have to be real careful not to put pressure on the cover or else you'll cause a fluid leak. A piece of wood or a rubber cushion work well. I place the jackstands under the rear axles or in front of the LCAs depending on what kind of work needs to be done.
Old 1/30/07, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sook
For the front, I place the jack pad underneath the center of the crossmember where it ripples. Jackstands at both ends of the crossmember.

for the rear, I jack up by the diff housing. I've done it on other cars for years. You just have to be real careful not to put pressure on the cover or else you'll cause a fluid leak. A piece of wood or a rubber cushion work well. I place the jackstands under the rear axles or in front of the LCAs depending on what kind of work needs to be done.
+1
Old 1/30/07, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

all you need is a better diff cover.
Attached Thumbnails Best placement for Jackstands fnt/back?-p1010059.jpg  
Old 1/30/07, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Actually, Ford has done a minor re-design on the cover and the lower lip does not extend down as far as it used to (looks like it was just cut off) so there is lees chance of damaging the cover, and no, my '07 doesn't have it either, it seems to have been a job#2 change. Oh, and I agree with what Bill said, jack up on the diff and the K-member where it looks corrugated in the middle.