GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best mods for the money

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/10, 12:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan1112
Well if all you're looking for is throttle mashing fun then the tuner, CAI, and gears are the best bet (that's how I started) but I got bored with just going in a straight line for 13 seconds.

LOL X2, yes with a gear upgrade you will definitely feel the tires want to spin more easily No doubt about that.

As long as the rear is still centered after lowering a panhard rod is not needed but for the price its a good mod just to keep the axle under control. Even when drag racing the panhard rod helped keep things straight.

I know people think that fixing the front geometry is unnecessary after lowering but without either ball joints or control arm relocation the camber will actually start going back into positive under hard cornering. It helps braking, tire wear, and the car won't lean as much since it brings the roll center back up spec. You can even run less negative camber for better tire wear and get the same cornering results.

We all have different goals with our mods but there's just something about killing european cars in the corners with a heavy american brute that just does it for me.
I drive fast at times, but do not really push it on the turns......so yes all that fancy suspension stuff is worthwhile for guys like yourself My car is only insured for 3 months during the year and is driven only on nice sunny days.

So I agree, one must select mods based on their own personal goals with their vehicle.
Old 2/21/14, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reverend
I have modified my Mustang extensively and I can tell you that certain mods are well worth the money. But at the same time certain mods change your car so much that I wished I had done it earlier.

My thoughts:
The best budget HP mod is Intake, Tune, CMCV plates, and Underdrive pulleys. $1k for 60hp. While more HP is nice, you rarely use it on a daily basis. My experience is that the additional 60hp will soon be unnoticeable and the seat of the pants get used to the extra horsepower. But there is a better mod sequence out there.

My first performance modification would be suspension. The car is transformed with new suspension parts. The car is converted from a straight line muscle car into a Sports car. I can't emphasize enough how amazing the Mustang drives with a decent suspension under it. People who ride with me, who drive sports cars, are more than impressed. The Mustang can take 20 mph turns at 75mph, and 90 degree turns at 65mph in 2nd gear at 6.5k rpms.

I would replace the shocks with Koni Sports @ ~$700 and the springs with FRPP K-Springs or Steeda Ultralights @ ~$200. When money allows, Eibach or Strano Front and Rear Swaybars @ ~$360. Followed by upper and lower control arms from Steeda/BMR/CHE for $300. Then get a nice set of tires, 275 or 285mm all the way around.

Suspension mods are where it is at. HP mods you get used to, brake mods are rarely necessary, exhaust mods are merely personal taste, looks mods are like armpits; everyone does them and they all stink.
Just got myself a 07 GT Convertible. Am a total newb. But this makes total sense.

Reverend - would really appreciate a few tips and pointers
Old 2/21/14, 02:25 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reverend
I have modified my Mustang extensively and I can tell you that certain mods are well worth the money. But at the same time certain mods change your car so much that I wished I had done it earlier. My thoughts: The best budget HP mod is Intake, Tune, CMCV plates, and Underdrive pulleys. $1k for 60hp. While more HP is nice, you rarely use it on a daily basis. My experience is that the additional 60hp will soon be unnoticeable and the seat of the pants get used to the extra horsepower. But there is a better mod sequence out there. My first performance modification would be suspension. The car is transformed with new suspension parts. The car is converted from a straight line muscle car into a Sports car. I can't emphasize enough how amazing the Mustang drives with a decent suspension under it. People who ride with me, who drive sports cars, are more than impressed. The Mustang can take 20 mph turns at 75mph, and 90 degree turns at 65mph in 2nd gear at 6.5k rpms. I would replace the shocks with Koni Sports @ ~$700 and the springs with FRPP K-Springs or Steeda Ultralights @ ~$200. When money allows, Eibach or Strano Front and Rear Swaybars @ ~$360. Followed by upper and lower control arms from Steeda/BMR/CHE for $300. Then get a nice set of tires, 275 or 285mm all the way around. Suspension mods are where it is at. HP mods you get used to, brake mods are rarely necessary, exhaust mods are merely personal taste, looks mods are like armpits; everyone does them and they all stink.
This is the biggest load I've seen or smelled here in a long time. This is a mustang were talking about. If you want what you are implying, buy a different car. This is a mustang, raw, loud, and powerful. Suspension can be upgraded as needed. Car is already lowered so that part is good enough. Exhaust is always a great next step just to make her sound right. No real performance value but an absolute must. Then go for power. If she doesn't hook any more, tires or suspension mods. One cheap piece at a time. Otherwise you have a car that will hug the road like a champ. Just too bad you will still be going slow. More power than you can handle is so much more fun.