GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

best brand gears and what size for around town driving

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/08, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard good and bad about Ford and Motive but I guess it really boils down to the gear installers expertise and not necessarily the brand in some cases. The only 3.90 set I have seen advertised is made by Motive.

Last edited by 2006stang; 7/4/08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 7/4/08, 11:43 AM

Five Oh Brian, how's your 2nd to 3rd gear? Doug from Bama had complained about the gearing issues in auto and dropped to 3.55...
Old 7/4/08, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bored out
Interesting debate between 3.73 and 4.10's. I wish someone lived around here with 4.10's i could ride in because I want to feel the difference that everyone is talking about. I just can't see how it increased performance that much.

Here is a question to help answer that...would the same driver in the same car be faster at the track with 4.10's over 3.55's and if so by how much?
over the 1/4 mile I noticed no change. buy some long tube headers instead.
Old 7/4/08, 11:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fluffy
Five Oh Brian, how's your 2nd to 3rd gear? Doug from Bama had complained about the gearing issues in auto and dropped to 3.55...
The 2-3 shift is wicked hard; the car will lurch sideways into 3rd if I'm not paying attention. Even before the supercharger, the 2-3 shift was very hard and chirped authoritatively. I'm guessing that Doug probably thought 2nd and 3rd weren't spaced far enough apart? I think it makes 3rd gear a strong puller and I like it. I've had cars with too much difference in gearing from 2nd to 3rd where you feel like the car bogs and lugs when you hit 3rd, but like how the 5R55S and 4.10's work together.
Old 7/5/08, 10:46 PM

can stock tires handle 4.10? will it need the steeda no wheel hop kit?
Old 7/6/08, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

What is so tough about this install? Why can't the lay person complete a gear change? I know there are some savvy mechinics here but most have a shop complete this install and it costs around $300-400 bucks.
Old 7/7/08, 11:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by muslenutz
Pretty much its a toy that will get a couple thousand a year on it.
If I were driving it only a couple thou a year I'd go with a 4.30. As it is, it's my daily driver and I'd go back to the 3.73 if I found a few hundred bucks to do it.
Old 7/8/08, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly, going from 3.55s to 3.73's is truly not worth the pain in the butt or the expense...

Plus the odds of not getting your new gears set up properly are somewhere over 75%... The reason so many halfassed job get done is because it is a real pain in the butt to do right and most guys doing it aren't too concerned about getting it perfect, because it generally takes over 10,000 miles to see the results (before your gears & most likely bearings chew themselves up) of a shoddy job and by that time it isn't their problem...

Originally Posted by PenguinGT
IMO - 3.73s are a nice compromise for city/hwy driving and they get the job done at the strip as well.

However, if you have factory 3.55s, then the investment for 3.73s may not be enough of a change to be justified...

Lower rear end gears are just like lower gears in your transmission.

If you would like to see the difference, try starting off from a stand still quickly in third gear, then second gear, then first gear.

Now think of the third gear start as starting off in 1st gear in a mustang with 3.31 rear end gears , the second gear start as starting off in 1st gear in a mustang with 3.73 rear end gears and the first gear start as starting off in 1st gear in a mustang with 4.10 rear end gears.

Originally Posted by bored out
Interesting debate between 3.73 and 4.10's. I wish someone lived around here with 4.10's i could ride in because I want to feel the difference that everyone is talking about. I just can't see how it increased performance that much.

Here is a question to help answer that...would the same driver in the same car be faster at the track with 4.10's over 3.55's and if so by how much?

Long tube headers instead? Do you have any dyno numbers to show your long tube headers ONLY gains? If you are seeing plus 8-15 horsepower above 5000 RPM with lower torque numbers from idle through 4000 rpm whats the point of that?

I'm talking about the same tune and air intake with and without the headers, not stock versus air intake, tune and long tube headers.

Because, you are just NOT getting much/any low RPM (READ: Where you feel/need it) horsepower or torque from long tube headers...

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
over the 1/4 mile I noticed no change. buy some long tube headers instead.

Last edited by Black GT500; 7/8/08 at 01:33 AM.
Old 7/9/08, 09:57 AM

Gears

3:73 will make a difference with 17`s, if your running 20" tires it will not. Just like 4 wheel drives, when they run the bigger tires, you must install taller or more higher numerical gearing to compensate for the taller tire. If running 17`s 3:73 might be the ticket for your daily driver with track duty. If your into more performance at the drags and are running 18" or a simmilar height drag tire , your better choice would be a 4:10/ 4:11 gear and above. Just keep in mind you will loose top end speed and increase your engine rpm`s with the higher numerical gear sets at highway cruising speeds. On your choice or gearing there is a forumla that considers tire heigth, rear gearing/ final drive ratio and the rpm`s you want to be in across the finish line, being 1/8 or 1/4 mile. This should be your determining factor in your choice in the rear gearing for your car.
JK