GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Benefits of Sway Bar Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/06, 12:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Benefits of Sway Bar Upgrades?

I have the Roush rear springs approx. 1 inch drop and would like a little better handling in corners. I am thinking that replacing the sway bars would give me better handling without going the shocks, springs, relocation brackets route.

Can anyone with a GT give me some feedback on just doing the sway bar change? Also there are different manufacturers and I was thniking either Eibach, Steeda or Ford Racing.
Old 8/21/06, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did the whole FRPP kit (shocks, struts, springs and swaybars) it is a night and day difference.
Old 8/21/06, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

I also have the FRPP handling kit as well as a Fays2 Watts Link and my '07 GT corners like it is on rails! The only downside is sacraficing the ride quality a little bit.

I have heard people recommend using suspension components that are designed to be used together so there is no mismatching. Made sense to me.
Old 8/21/06, 06:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody have Tokico D spec adjustable shocks with their lowering springs? I want to lower mine but don't want to sacrifice ride quality. Will these help??
Old 8/21/06, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Does anyone have just aftermarket sways bars?
Old 8/21/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Anybody have Tokico D spec adjustable shocks with their lowering springs? I want to lower mine but don't want to sacrifice ride quality. Will these help??
Absolutely. You can even adjust their settings so they are even plusher than stock (if you want... ).
Old 8/21/06, 07:49 PM

I just installed the FRPP anti-roll bar kit (M-5490-A) on my '06 GT this weekend. It definitely tightens up the steering feel and cuts down on the body roll compared to the stock parts. Before the install the car tended to " plough" a bit going into ramps and tight curves (understeer) which drove me nuts, especially considering my previous car was a Mini Cooper S that really sliced and diced corners. With the new bars the steering feel is very close to neutral - to me it's how the car should have come from the factory. I started with the front sway bar in the middle adjustment (3 positions available) and will drive it a week or two before trying another position but it will probably end up where it is now. The install itself is very easy and can be done with the car on ramps with the wheels on. The rear bar install is simple and the front bar is ridiculously easy to replace.

When I researched the FRPP kit my findings indicated that the bars are made by Eibach for FRPP. The urethane bushings in the kit are from Energy Suspension, their instructions were in the frt bar bushings/clamp kit. An added benefit to the FRPP kit is the bushing caps have zerc fittings to make greasing the bar bushings fast and easy.

My only other suspension mods are the FRPP strut tower brace and a Steeda G-Trac brace. I decided against lowering the vehicle because I didn't want to worry about ride harshness, speed bumps, opening doors next to high curbs, etc. Like you I also didn't want to deal with adjustable panhard bars, relocation brackets, etc., etc. Replacing the sway bars made a noticeable improvement in the handling and if it's made the ride any harsher it's negligible. The sway bar upgrade gets a from me.
Old 8/21/06, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks............Good Info!
Old 8/21/06, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eat.the.rude
I just installed the FRPP anti-roll bar kit (M-5490-A) on my '06 GT this weekend. It definitely tightens up the steering feel and cuts down on the body roll compared to the stock parts. Before the install the car tended to " plough" a bit going into ramps and tight curves (understeer) which drove me nuts, especially considering my previous car was a Mini Cooper S that really sliced and diced corners. With the new bars the steering feel is very close to neutral - to me it's how the car should have come from the factory. I started with the front sway bar in the middle adjustment (3 positions available) and will drive it a week or two before trying another position but it will probably end up where it is now. The install itself is very easy and can be done with the car on ramps with the wheels on. The rear bar install is simple and the front bar is ridiculously easy to replace.

When I researched the FRPP kit my findings indicated that the bars are made by Eibach for FRPP. The urethane bushings in the kit are from Energy Suspension, their instructions were in the frt bar bushings/clamp kit. An added benefit to the FRPP kit is the bushing caps have zerc fittings to make greasing the bar bushings fast and easy.

My only other suspension mods are the FRPP strut tower brace and a Steeda G-Trac brace. I decided against lowering the vehicle because I didn't want to worry about ride harshness, speed bumps, opening doors next to high curbs, etc. Like you I also didn't want to deal with adjustable panhard bars, relocation brackets, etc., etc. Replacing the sway bars made a noticeable improvement in the handling and if it's made the ride any harsher it's negligible. The sway bar upgrade gets a from me.
Now that's what I was looking for! Thank you~
Old 8/21/06, 09:48 PM
GTR Member

Sorry Rich.My bad
Old 8/21/06, 10:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

LOL, it's OK I got the info I was looking for!
Old 8/22/06, 01:52 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Dude, i just installed them last friday (had the eibachs since last october) and i cannot BELIEVE that i waited this long. i HATED the way the car handled with just springs...talk about sacrificing ride quality, just springs was the WORST idea i've ever had (i knew it was wrong to do but i just wanted them in and didn't have money for the d-specs just then).

the car rides like butter now...i love it. and while i was in there, i cranked the upper link to the sway bar (front) down and the creaking/bumping noise is totally gone.

best money i've spent on the car so far.

people, i don't understand how you drive the car with only rear springs in, or worse, cut spring.
Old 8/22/06, 07:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Dude, i just installed them last friday (had the eibachs since last october) and i cannot BELIEVE that i waited this long. i HATED the way the car handled with just springs...talk about sacrificing ride quality, just springs was the WORST idea i've ever had (i knew it was wrong to do but i just wanted them in and didn't have money for the d-specs just then).

the car rides like butter now...i love it. and while i was in there, i cranked the upper link to the sway bar (front) down and the creaking/bumping noise is totally gone.

best money i've spent on the car so far.

people, i don't understand how you drive the car with only rear springs in, or worse, cut spring.
may I ask the cost of your dspecs? also,you get to update your sig!!
Old 8/22/06, 09:05 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

may I ask the cost of your dspecs? also,you get to update your sig!!
hey good point!!

i bought the d-specs from shox.com and they were $591 and free shipping within the US. No tax if you don't live in Cali. either. They are worth every penny...plus I installed them myself (with help from a certified mechanic). you can do it in about two hours with a lift...i love air tools.

k
Old 8/22/06, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

the frpp bars with the front bar set in the center were worth 3 seconds at the track but when i upped to the full frpp setup the lap times got interesting!

then i put the front bar in the "stiff" setting and the lap times dropped by an other 1.5 seconds!!!

do the full set up and dont look back
the look is killer and the lateral g's are in the 1.25+ range

jay