GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bassani, Loudmouth, or Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/05, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Which do you have/prefer/love the sound of?

Bassani with its x-pipe (factory cats) is deep and not-too-loud,...'

SLP is nice and loud, but not too throaty/deep...what could you do to make it deeper and more throaty? Which X-pipe would you add?

Anyone have any clips of their Prochamber? I want to know if it goes along well with the SLP Loudmouths... I love the sound on the SLPs, I just want something a little more deeper and throatier..

What about combos? Anyone run magnapaks with Bassani x-pipes or ProChambers? COMMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!!!
Old 7/5/05, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

I with you ghost I like the deep throaty sound, but I'll end up going with the SLPs to wake the neighbors. I just got my car in today!! And was amazed at the stock dual exhaust how good they sounded every stop light someone was trying to get me to rev up. It sounded good but I still want them to scream like a red-headed stepchild getting kicked in the nads.
Old 7/5/05, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL NC thats exactly how i feel. I love deepness and all, but it gets kinda too deep on my dad's car sometimes (he has an escalade with dual magnaflows). I want to wake people up and leave my mark etched in their heads at night...heheheh... Thats why I want to know what people run, and if anyone has clips of the SLP's WITH a prochamber...

ANYONE??!
Old 7/5/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW happy birthday NC!
Old 7/5/05, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have SLPs installed with Bassani X-pipe, keeping stock cats. Note that the stock pipes behind the cats must be cut to attach the x-pipe (the other side of the stock H-pipe bolts on/off).

The sound is great. The X-pipe definiately added a deeper rumble to the already sweet-sounding SLPs. Its loud, but also not too loud, and will lay down at cruising speeds. When you get on it, though, it growls. You can also feel the vibrations from the X-pipe underfoot - but its light and fun, not annoying. The X-pipe did add a bit of a kind-of echo or reverberation that I think is a little tiny ("tin-y" not "ti-ney"), but its subtle and overall the sound is still great. It may also calm down if/once the x-pipe breaks in a little.

I think it's a nice combo, esp. for the $ - approx. $250 each for the SLPs and X-pipe. Some axel backs cost $500-700 alone.

I'll try to make and post a sound clip/video, but I garage my car and don't see it much during the week (live in NYC and commute on the subways). I'll try to do it on Saturday or so.
Old 7/5/05, 10:16 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I really should get paid for saying this, but have you considered Borla? It is the deepest sounding system I've heard and quite loud. You can probably go with just axle-backs or catback and get the sound you want without doing midpipe/headers.
Old 7/5/05, 10:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Dan. Borla is the best I've heard. (too pricy for me though)
EVERY Bassani I've heard sounds like an exhaust with a sore throat. (JMO)
For the money, JBA sounds the best, but I would like them to be a little louder.
Old 7/5/05, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

GhostGT, HAha! You seem to be going just as crazy as me trying to find the right exhaust setup. Have you listened to the clips on the exhaust thread? I've listened to 'em all many times and still am not sure. So far probably a catted X-pipe (Magnaflow or Bassani...still unsure) and axleback(still unsure). I want it DEEP, LOUD, and MEAN. A little crackle when ya let off the gas doesn't hurt! Not crazy about the metallic sound some of the exhausts make, though. Still have a few months to figure it out. Anybody heard the catted Magnaflow x-pipe with Magnapaks?
Old 7/5/05, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget the SLP Power Flo axlebacks... they sound great. I have a video posted here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=417620
Old 7/6/05, 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond+July 5, 2005, 9:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ILikeBond @ July 5, 2005, 9:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have SLPs installed with Bassani X-pipe, keeping stock cats. Note that the stock pipes behind the cats must be cut to attach the x-pipe (the other side of the stock H-pipe bolts on/off).

The sound is great. The X-pipe definiately added a deeper rumble to the already sweet-sounding SLPs. Its loud, but also not too loud, and will lay down at cruising speeds. When you get on it, though, it growls. You can also feel the vibrations from the X-pipe underfoot - but its light and fun, not annoying. The X-pipe did add a bit of a kind-of echo or reverberation that I think is a little tiny ("tin-y" not "ti-ney"), but its subtle and overall the sound is still great. It may also calm down if/once the x-pipe breaks in a little.

I think it's a nice combo, esp. for the $ - approx. $250 each for the SLPs and X-pipe. Some axel backs cost $500-700 alone.

I'll try to make and post a sound clip/video, but I garage my car and don't see it much during the week (live in NYC and commute on the subways). I'll try to do it on Saturday or so.
[/b]

Thanks Bond, that would be awesome. I was just talking to my friends and we all agreed that, granted, the Loudmouths sound AWESOME, it would be even AWESOM-ER ( ) to have something deeper.

Originally posted by Dan@July 5, 2005, 10:19 PM
I really should get paid for saying this, but have you considered Borla? It is the deepest sounding system I've heard and quite loud. You can probably go with just axle-backs or catback and get the sound you want without doing midpipe/headers.
Ive heard Borla, and Magnaflow, and personally, I think I want something a little louder.

Originally posted by FireDragon@July 5, 2005, 10:56 PM
GhostGT, HAha! You seem to be going just as crazy as me trying to find the right exhaust setup. Have you listened to the clips on the exhaust thread? I've listened to 'em all many times and still am not sure. So far probably a catted X-pipe (Magnaflow or Bassani...still unsure) and axleback(still unsure). I want it DEEP, LOUD, and MEAN. A little crackle when ya let off the gas doesn't hurt! Not crazy about the metallic sound some of the exhausts make, though. Still have a few months to figure it out. Anybody heard the catted Magnaflow x-pipe with Magnapaks?
Oh man FireDragon, we are DEF on the same darn page.

<!--QuoteBegin-don_w
@July 5, 2005, 11:22 PM
Don't forget the SLP Power Flo axlebacks... they sound great. I have a video posted here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=417620
[/quote]

Hey don. ur a great guy and always help out on both forums Im on. Powerflo's are awesome, but the sound is too subtle for my taste. Nice system, tho!

Lets get some more feedback goin..

Loudness...
The SLP Loudmouth is loud. How can you make it a bit deeper? Add a Bassani X-Pipe with stock cats? Add a Prochamber? WHat do you guys recommend?

Burbles
You rev the car or let off the gas or shift, and the exhaust burbles and sounds really awesome... what would help maximize this effect?

Smog Check!!! :bang:
Is an SLP Loudmouths/Any X-pipe (stock cats) combination emmissions-legal?

Personally, I wanted Magnaflow first, then Bassani, but have figured out that SLP Loudmouths sound GREAT and would be BETTER if more burbles, and a deeper, louder edge could be achieved with a Prochamber or a X-pipe...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS SAY??
Old 7/6/05, 01:41 AM
GT Member

I have the SLP loudmouths with the pro chamber with factory cats. It sounds about the same as with the factory H-pipe just a little quieter and a litter deeper. I really didn't notice that much of a difference. It's not loud or deep enough for me. I'm thinking of gutting my cats to wake it up.
I posted a soundclip under the exhaust thread with the sticky.
If I were to do it again I'd just keep the factory H-pipe and get MAC mufflers maybe gut the cats on that setup too.

The pro chamber does add to the Burble effect though, I love that sound.
Old 7/6/05, 01:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rakkassan what Pro Chamber do you have... can you maybe send me a link of where i could get YOUR exact one for a good price?

And I cant get the links to work for ur files...help!

Pro Chambers

Which is it from there that you have? Should I get the one that bolt to my stock cats or get the one "w/ catalytics?" Which is deeper/louder and LEGAL?
Old 7/6/05, 04:47 AM
Cobra R Member

If you read my sig, you see that I have Bassani. I love the crackle in my exhaust. Sore throat? HA! I have taped mine, but am having trouble getting a good wav file from it. I may have to take my laptop for a ride.
Old 7/6/05, 04:53 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 1:55 AM
Rakkassan what Pro Chamber do you have... can you maybe send me a link of where i could get YOUR exact one for a good price?

And I cant get the links to work for ur files...help!

Pro Chambers

Which is it from there that you have? Should I get the one that bolt to my stock cats or get the one "w/ catalytics?" Which is deeper/louder and LEGAL?
I got the one from RPMoutlet.com it bolts up to the stock cats but some cutting of the stock exhaust is required.
I had alot of trouble with attaching the soundclip if you type in (do not click on it or copy and paste) this link it should work, no underscores those are spaces

http://rakkassan34.bravehost.com/slp and pro chamber.wav
Old 7/6/05, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 2:19 AM
Smog Check!!! :bang:
Is an SLP Loudmouths/Any X-pipe (stock cats) combination emmissions-legal?
Personally, I wanted Magnaflow first, then Bassani, but have figured out that SLP Loudmouths sound GREAT and would be BETTER if more burbles, and a deeper, louder edge could be achieved with a Prochamber or a X-pipe...
As long as you have stock cats, it'll be smog/emissions legal. Swapping the h-pipe for an x-pipe or taking away the mufflers won't affect emissions.
Old 7/6/05, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rakkassan34@July 6, 2005, 4:56 AM
I got the one from RPMoutlet.com it bolts up to the stock cats but some cutting of the stock exhaust is required.
I had alot of trouble with attaching the soundclip if you type in (do not click on it or copy and paste) this link it should work, no underscores those are spaces

http://rakkassan34.bravehost.com/slp and pro chamber.wav
Eric i STILL can't get the darn link to work, even when I type it in exactly as you said...Any ideas?

Are you happy with your SLP combo? Man I wish I could here BOTH the SLP and the SLP/ProChamber combo.. :scratch:

EDIT: Got the link working... but sounds like this is the SLP with the prochamber only...did u have another video?
Old 7/6/05, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 11:18 AM
Eric i STILL can't get the darn link to work, even when I type it in exactly as you said...Any ideas?

Are you happy with your SLP combo? Man I wish I could here BOTH the SLP and the SLP/ProChamber combo.. :scratch:

EDIT: Got the link working... but sounds like this is the SLP with the prochamber only...did u have another video?
I have one with the stock setup and just the SLP if that's what you're looking for. The soundclips sound about the same to me(may have been too many IED's and mortar atacks made me darn near deaf though) In person the pro chamber just made the car sound like I put a muffler on it.

type this in http://rakkassan34.bravehost.com/slp and stock H pipe.wav

Personally I think switching out the mid pipe is a waste of time. I was looking for a nice 60's era big block sound but switching out the midpipe isn't going to do that. I think the only way to do this is long tube headers, off road mid pipe of any kind, chambered mufflers, and a nice lumpy cam. That's the combo I'm saving my money for.
Old 7/6/05, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rakkassan have you found any video that shows a Pro Chamber that DOESNT have the stock cats? Maybe high-flows or no cats at all? (Offroad). Im DESPERATELY looking for some sound or video clips of the Pro chamber with no cats/hiflows.
Old 7/7/05, 01:29 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 10:16 PM
Rakkassan have you found any video that shows a Pro Chamber that DOESNT have the stock cats? Maybe high-flows or no cats at all? (Offroad). Im DESPERATELY looking for some sound or video clips of the Pro chamber with no cats/hiflows.
No I sure haven't. If you find one let me know.