GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bama vs Canned SCT X4 Tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/16, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bama vs Canned SCT X4 Tunes?

Question for you all; Are the Bama tunes that are loaded on the X4 from AM, are that much better than the SCT canned X4 tunes. I am wondering because up in the Great white north, I am able to get a SCT X4 for $535 cad, as opposed to paying closer to $630 cad for the Bama. Now I realize they give you tunes for life, but is it worth the extra $100 on a stock 2006 GT 5spd with only a cat-back? And I don't really plan on doing any more mods in the near future. Thanks in advance!
Old 2/27/16, 02:08 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by joshjohnson93
Question for you all; Are the Bama tunes that are loaded on the X4 from AM, are that much better than the SCT canned X4 tunes. I am wondering because up in the Great white north, I am able to get a SCT X4 for $535 cad, as opposed to paying closer to $630 cad for the Bama. Now I realize they give you tunes for life, but is it worth the extra $100 on a stock 2006 GT 5spd with only a cat-back? And I don't really plan on doing any more mods in the near future. Thanks in advance!
Yes ! They are much better and here's why.. Unlike the canned SCT tunes that come preloaded on the X4.. The tunes you get from tuners like AM/Bama, Brenspeed, JDM and Lund are custom tuning files written specifically for your vehicle's individual ECM a.k.a your car's computer..

In addition, the custom tuners mentioned also have years of R&D experience when it comes to custom tuning.. Examples are providing tunes that offer increased performance/improved throttle response over stock, but also make certain your timing/spark and air/fuel curves are properly calibrated for your car's individual ECM as well..

If you don't want to spend the additional $90-$100.00 for AM/Bama preloaded X4.. You can always have them write you a custom tune in which they'll send you the tuning file via e-mail to upload into the SCT X4 programmer that your interested in purchasing for $535.00..

This way, you'll be able to save yourself some $$$$ and also enjoy the full benefits of having a custom e-mail tune for your Mustang..

And btw: If your not aware of this.. The SCT X4 programmer is also capable of storing up to 10 custom tuning programs in addition to the SCT preloaded tunes and your car's stock OEM calibration if whenever you should ever need to return your vehicle back to stock

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/27/16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 2/28/16, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

Yes ! They are much better and here's why.. Unlike the canned SCT tunes that come preloaded on the X4.. The tunes you get from tuners like AM/Bama, Brenspeed, JDM and Lund are custom tuning files written specifically for your vehicle's individual ECM a.k.a your car's computer..

In addition, the custom tuners mentioned also have years of R&D experience when it comes to custom tuning.. Examples are providing tunes that offer increased performance/improved throttle response over stock, but also make certain your timing/spark and air/fuel curves are properly calibrated for your car's individual ECM as well..

If you don't want to spend the additional $90-$100.00 for AM/Bama preloaded X4.. You can always have them write you a custom tune in which they'll send you the tuning file via e-mail to upload into the SCT X4 programmer that your interested in purchasing for $535.00..

This way, you'll be able to save yourself some $$$$ and also enjoy the full benefits of having a custom e-mail tune for your Mustang..

And btw: If your not aware of this.. The SCT X4 programmer is also capable of storing up to 10 custom tuning programs in addition to the SCT preloaded tunes and your car's stock OEM calibration if whenever you should ever need to return your vehicle back to stock
Thanks for the info, another question I have now then, is how much does a tuner typically charge for a single custom tune? I noticed on AM that you can buy the Bama "tunes for life' package for $150 usd, but if I go that route I am spending more than just buying the Bama X4. So I guess that is where I am kinda on the fence.
Old 2/28/16, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the info, another question I have now then, is how much does a tuner typically charge for a single custom tune? I noticed on AM that you can buy the Bama "tunes for life' package for $150 usd, but if I go that route I am spending more than just buying the Bama X4. So I guess that is where I am kinda on the fence.
here locally (can't say for other tunners) I went to a local tuning place that also does builds and they wanted about the same price per tune ($140) so I figured the $150 life time tunes is more then worth it, same price for unlimited tunes written, and they will do it as I build my car, just need to tell them what I am adding and done...
Old 2/28/16, 05:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
True ! You'll be spending more.. So it would therefore be in your best interest to pay the extra $90.00 for the Bama X4 that already includes the custom tunes for life package rather than purchase the SCT X4 programmer that has only canned tunes which aren't going to provide you with the kind of throttle response and improved performance that you can only get from a custom tune that's written exclusively for your Mustang's ECM..

Also take into consideration that when your ready to do future mod upgrades, you won't be able to get tune revisions from SCT, as they do not provide tune support upgrades for their programmers.. Therefore in the end, your going to end up having to purchase a custom tune file package anyhow..

With that being said, you just might as well get the Bama X4 programmer with the piece of mind in knowing you'll have free tune support revision upgrades for life in addition to getting the best improved performance and throttle response from which you can only get from having a custom tune

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/29/16 at 04:18 PM.