GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Baer Brake upgarde

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/06, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to share my brake upgrade with you guys. After looking at all that is available and there is a bunch available for our cars, I decided on a medium of the road upgrade. A few things that led me to my choice was a increase in power, some possible autocross events, a big gap behind my 19 inch wheels, and I'm trying to create a very balanced overall car that you can do almost anything in.

Lets start with what's out there. There are several one piece rotor upgrades, pad upgrades and several 6 piston and 4 piston front upgrade kits. I knew I wanted upgraded rotors of the two piece variety for weight savings and I really wanted to get a better front caliper if possible without robbing the bank. I also wanted matching rotors front and back. After searching I found the Eradispeed Rotors from Baer. They offer a plus two upgrade for all four corners (which is rotors only). This sounded like a good option but I soon found out that I would be limited to the stock caliper in the front. This info made me go ahead and purchase their GT-plus kit for the front which includes the Eradispeed rotors, 2 piston calipers, brackets and lines. I then purchased the Eradispeed rotors for the rear and I was done, $1500 to my door for everything.

After getting the packages I noticed it was going to be a easy swap. They really did their homework on this. You could install the entire kit in under two hours for sure and possibly less than a hour. The rotors felt heavy at first until I pulled the stock ones off. Yep they are lighter [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] Luckily the first rotor I test fitted was wrong, which led me to check out the rest of them. They have to spin a certain direction and I had one that was mislabled. I encourage you to check this right off the bat. Also the kit says 18 inch and larger wheels will work, be sure and check this before you buy. The way my 19's are made led to tight clearances with the caliper. They worked of course but barely, make sure you check this!! I painted the calipers,etc and the installation went flawless. The only downside is it took a week to get the rotor replaced, but they paid for all the frieght and a call tag for the bad one.

As far as performance goes I'm still breaking them in. I can tell that they grab quicker,but that doesn't say alot. Pedal feel seems slightly better under normal braking too. I'll add to this once I get them broke in. For now I just wanted to give out the info and pictures for fellow stangers.

Thanks Mike

The back rotors are are the ones with brackets in the middle. Notice they both spin the same way(wrong). The front rotors are noticably different, but they have the same patern to match. Also notice the calipers are gray before the install. I panited them red with the Baer name visible just like the factory.There is also a top shot of the rotors and a complete picture of the car although a poor shot due to the car being in the garage. The skinny rotor is the rear.
Old 2/19/06, 08:35 PM
GT Member

bear brakes are awesome you got your self some nice stuff right there i bet those braks grab like glue now... id get new brakes but i can never find my self dishing out 1000+ for brakes
Old 2/19/06, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Those look great. Hope to have some, one day.
Old 2/19/06, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice! Thanks for posting....I've been looking forward to your review. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome looking setup!
Old 2/19/06, 08:59 PM
GT Member

yea when I put the same kit on the front it really did make a world of difference despite still being a 2 piston caliper. That rear kit looks really good too-I wish I could run those but then there goes any chance of getting 17in et streets on there. Looks really good.
Old 2/19/06, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know information on slotted vs drilled rotors vs slotted and drilled rotors. I swear I saw some TV show that talked about this and said that slotted and drilled rotors weren't good for a street application. Something about reduced surface area for braking effectiveness and maybe potential cracking of the rotors due to the stress points made from the drilled holes. If I remember right, they recommended slotted rotors for the street.

Trust me, I am NOT bagging on these brakes, seeing the pictures just brought that memory up from the basement of my mind. I am definitely interested in upgrading the brakes on the mustang when I finally pull the trigger and buy a new one.
Old 2/19/06, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Not just a performance upgrade, but appearance too! I like it alot! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shatter @ February 19, 2006, 10:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyone know information on slotted vs drilled rotors vs slotted and drilled rotors. I swear I saw some TV show that talked about this and said that slotted and drilled rotors weren't good for a street application. Something about reduced surface area for braking effectiveness and maybe potential cracking of the rotors due to the stress points made from the drilled holes. If I remember right, they recommended slotted rotors for the street.

Trust me, I am NOT bagging on these brakes, seeing the pictures just brought that memory up from the basement of my mind. I am definitely interested in upgrading the brakes on the mustang when I finally pull the trigger and buy a new one.
[/b][/quote]

Actaully that was probably track use?? The drilled rotors under extreme conditions can crack which is why most will recommend slotted only. Had my car been track only thats what I would've done. Ever since they made that statement drilled rotors have become "kryptonite" and no one wants to touch them. However I spotted them on some Ferarri's and Porsche's in the latest Car and Driver so they can't be that bad??

Thanks for all the replies. I hope to be able to get some stopping results by the weekend or at least a reveiw on if they were worth it anyway.

Thanks MIke