GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Back-end chatter after lowering question...

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/07, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back-end chatter after lowering question...

I have had my car lowered for about a month now and seem to notice a chatter (imagine the sound of a diving board bouncing into place after jumping on it) coming from the back end of the car after I go over any type of aggressive bump or dip... Like really bad roads... It's real quick, but I am more worried that it is due to something not being set right, anyone have an idea of what this could be? Is this normal?

Thanks!
Old 7/5/07, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this 'diving board' noise resonates after one bump or is this the sound created by a series of bumps... the reason I ask, I have a noise made by the trunk latch hitting on the catch if the rear pitches up due to an abrupt dip or bump and will chatter when going over a washboard surface.

If the sound can't be pin pointed as coming from under the rear of the car, you may be experiencing the same problem I'm having. And I have no answer for stopping the noise.. I even had Ford replace the latch assy. and it didn't last until I got back home.

Bobby M.
Old 7/5/07, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

The sound comes after a single bump, but can continue if I am going along a bumpy road, kinda depending on the varying bumps... Bust mostly it's just after a single bump/dip that is happens. Since I am driving the car everytime, I know it's coming from the back of the car, but no idea where... I thought it might actually be the spare tire, maybe the latch isn't screwed down all the way or something, I need to actually check that out... But it *sounds* like it's coming from under the car, so I don't know if that'll help...
Old 7/5/07, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Just drop the rear seat backs down and take it for a test drive.. if the trunk latch is making the noise... You'll know it right away... This is a really metalic, high freqency noise.

Bobby M
Old 7/5/07, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Just drop the rear seat backs down and take it for a test drive.. if the trunk latch is making the noise... You'll know it right away... This is a really metalic, high freqency noise.
I can't, I have a Vert... I have done it with the top down though and it sounds like metal on metal... But it's not high frequency... More like a couple of dull thud type sounds...
Old 7/5/07, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you checked to see if the over the axle exhaust pipe might be hitting on the body.

Bobby M.
Old 7/5/07, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

No, I didn't even think about that... I'll definitely give that a look...