GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and I have repeatedly not seen a picture of this shifter with a T handle yet...
Old 11/20/06, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

is it soooo hard to imagine the shifter with a T-handle or any other ****/handle for that matter?

If that is the case you must not be the trailblazing type of person that can invision things, you have to be the follower, the copier....

It'll look great, even for a performance minded shifter.

-Dan
Old 11/20/06, 03:20 PM
FR500 Member

For the un-inspired Texans in the audience

Old 11/20/06, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
is it soooo hard to imagine the shifter with a T-handle or any other ****/handle for that matter?

If that is the case you must not be the trailblazing type of person that can invision things, you have to be the follower, the copier....

It'll look great, even for a performance minded shifter.

-Dan
...ok sorry if I came off a bit brash. No need to be cruel and unfriendly. Do you enjoy name calling people who may not share your exact opinion?
Old 11/20/06, 04:17 PM
FR500 Member

Actually he does!
Old 11/20/06, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

... oook then
Old 11/20/06, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
For the un-inspired Texans in the audience

its becoming clearer now what my shifter will look like, chrome out the bezel and this is it, I LOVE IT, thanks for the pict there Tony
Old 11/21/06, 02:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
To me, the biggest reason to go with an aftermarket shifter is the stock unit is plastic, feels cheap and is sloppy.

This is more like what I had in mind.... not a flat metal plate, a straight shaft and an orange on top...
I would purchase this one!!
Old 11/21/06, 02:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
I'm still going to carry it too as I truly think it looks better then the stock plastic shifter. I have a few billet things in my interior too so I think the shifter will fit nicely into my package. I'll be sure and post photo's when I have mine installed along with a write up on installation.

Thanks Doug.
With your tunes we don't need to shift gears. Just put it in D and mash the gas and hang on.
Old 11/23/06, 04:12 PM

I haven't read this thread till now, been watching the other one and have a few questions about the unit it self, can the shaft be a bit thicker.. more girth... Looks real skinny, also since this is made from Billet can the plate be polished?
Old 11/23/06, 10:39 PM
Cobra Member

I had an 05 auto when the B&M thread first began. I was VERY excited about this project and followed the progress very closely. All along I assumed this would be the typical B&M shifter with the flat shifter rod with B&M engraved on the side. When I saw the picture of the round rod I expressed my displeasure in the other thread and learned that there were no plans on changing it, so I immediately lost interest. My personal opinion (and it is just my opinion, take it or leave it) is the whole thing is absolutely hideous. The cover plate is boring and the round rod looks like something out of an 80's Camaro. It doesn't fit with the stylish interior of the new Mustangs. I have since traded my 05 on an 07 manual, so it's no biggie to me at this point.
Old 11/23/06, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
looks like something out of an 80's Camaro.
whats wrong with that?
Old 11/24/06, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I had an 05 auto when the B&M thread first began. I was VERY excited about this project and followed the progress very closely. All along I assumed this would be the typical B&M shifter with the flat shifter rod with B&M engraved on the side. When I saw the picture of the round rod I expressed my displeasure in the other thread and learned that there were no plans on changing it, so I immediately lost interest. My personal opinion (and it is just my opinion, take it or leave it) is the whole thing is absolutely hideous. The cover plate is boring and the round rod looks like something out of an 80's Camaro. It doesn't fit with the stylish interior of the new Mustangs. I have since traded my 05 on an 07 manual, so it's no biggie to me at this point.
Its smelly... I think theres a market for a auto shifter. I might even be interested, but the photo's of that B&M thing looks like first run prototype material!.....Back to the Auto Cad boys, you can do better !....
Old 11/25/06, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

oh god here we go again with you guys purely looking at the flyer photo that Doug scanned and posted...So, you ask is the bezel polished?..Yes! and anodized to MATCH the interior of the car..Specifically the steering wheel and the IUP if you have it. Can the stick itself be a big bigger around?.. No, because it would rub on the channel. Oh well, so much for pleasing everyone.
Old 11/25/06, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Hey Sub, Don't worry about the critics. There's enough folks who are ready to lay our money down to keep B&M busy. Thanks for your efforts, and let me know when and where to send the $$$$!
Old 11/25/06, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Yo Subzero05! A couple of questions, if you've got a minute.

First. In the picture you posted, the shifter appears to be in Park, yes?
If so, can you tell me why the shifter channel continues forward beyond this point?

Second. The stock shifter provides an access point for the brake-shift interlock override.
Is this function specific to the stock shifter and somehow rendered obsolete by your offering
or has it simply been deleted?

Thanks.
Old 11/25/06, 06:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subzero05
oh god here we go again with you guys purely looking at the flyer photo that Doug scanned and posted...So, you ask is the bezel polished?..Yes! and anodized to MATCH the interior of the car..Specifically the steering wheel and the IUP if you have it.
Can the stick itself be a big bigger around?.. No, because it would rub on the channel. Oh well, so much for pleasing everyone.
what about flat??I think that would look awesome
Old 11/25/06, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

My original thought was to make the stick itself flat like the original Quiksilver shifter we have. But, because of the shift control on the stock vehicle and the unit we had to build to fit the car, a flat type stick may not be strong enough to withstand rigorous shifting, whereas the round billet stick is much more sturdy. On the Brake -shift interlock ; are you questioning if you still have to press the brake pedal to move the stick from park?...if so yes you do. We have adjusted the spring mechanism on this new shifter to provide enough clearnance for the stick to travel to the park position on the shifter, but not have it face too far forward where it would be too close to the dash console. Another reason I didn't like the flyer photo that was posted...It appears just the opposite!..Because its a "ratchet" design, the unit will be in park , but look like it sits a bit farther back.
Old 11/26/06, 08:01 AM

I dont want to offend you with another question but the stock shifter will not allow you to put it into neutral while shifting, is it the same with the new one? My old 99 had the B&M ratchet and that's the only thing about it I didnt like, it allowed you to throw it into neutral when shifting without pulling up on the T.
Old 11/26/06, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
On the Brake -shift interlock ; are you questioning if you still have to press the brake pedal to move the stick from park?...if so yes you do.
No, I realise that. But on the stock shifter, there is a access panel covering a mechanism that allow the driver to use the key to override the interlock, should the need arise. I don't see a way to do that on B&M's shifter, so I assume it's either been overlooked, or deleted. If this function is specific to the stock shifter, then no worries, but if it's something to do with the tranny, then I have to wonder if removing it is a good idea? I've never had to use it (knock on wood), but it's there, and Ford wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense of installing it if it wasn't indicated.

Quick Reply: B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..