GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 07:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nynvolt
Can you just bang this up and down or will you have to push to the stops like the stock only without holding the button? If you do have to push it up and down to stops will the throw distance be shorter?

I'm really supprised at the sour reception, the prototype thread was frothing over with excitement and anticipation. So what if it doesn't look fancy, I think most of the people interested wanted it for
function not asthetics.
It would be nice to have both
Old 11/8/06, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psfracer
My only concern is: how close does the ****/t-handle sit relative to the a/c controls while in park? In the picture it looks really close. Doug, when you get one installed could you post how close the shifter is to the dash?
the pic is the flyer photo is BAD!.. I didn't want it in there but it was too late to make any changes.The unit will not sit that close while the unit is in park!Look at the photo: even the indicator area is a greenish color. Obviously not the finished version I am showing, so please take that with a "grain of salt". I can keep the B&M engraved logo or ditch it.. it doesn't matter to me, but most of you said you didn't want it there...Hint: ALSO part of the prototype versions!
Old 11/8/06, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nynvolt
Can you just bang this up and down or will you have to push to the stops like the stock only without holding the button? If you do have to push it up and down to stops will the throw distance be shorter?

I'm really supprised at the sour reception, the prototype thread was frothing over with excitement and anticipation. So what if it doesn't look fancy, I think most of the people interested wanted it for function not asthetics.

BANG it up and down through the gears if you want!.that is what makes our quicksilver mechanism so popular with the auto crowds and the reason we chose to utilize it for this car!
Old 11/8/06, 08:24 PM

I like it and don't think the B&M logo looks bad either.
Old 11/8/06, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris, I have a suggestion, I live up here in the Stockton/Modesto area, send me one of the proto-types with both the cueball and T-handle, I will install it in my car as the test mule, get some great shots with my Kodak digital camera and post them up, then all the guys who drive the manuals can **** and moan all they want and the auto guys can either order one or just live with the current pos in the car, I am willing to do this to help out B&M to promote this product, I will say that as with all the other mods I've done with my car, it may end up with some personal "tweaking". a chromed bezel with the B&M logo will look better in my IUP-less interior and also match the MGW hardware planned for the area around the shifter.
Old 11/8/06, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Well, I guess I can look at it this way, Dan and I will be at the front of the line now

You know Chris, once you ship a few and people post good pictures of it, there'll be some converts.

Here's a question, I know there will be a channel for running wires up the shaft if one were to want to add another button on say a T-Handle. I suppose you could actually swap the OD button with one in the handle. So could there be an OD delete option? And by that I mean not have OD engraved in the bezel? I have another use in mind for where the OD button is
Well I like it and will be the first to step up and buy it when subzero05 offers it.

I say keep the B&M engraved logo! Any way you go I'm in for one.
Old 11/9/06, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6
Chris, I have a suggestion, I live up here in the Stockton/Modesto area, send me one of the proto-types with both the cueball and T-handle, I will install it in my car as the test mule, get some great shots with my Kodak digital camera and post them up, then all the guys who drive the manuals can **** and moan all they want and the auto guys can either order one or just live with the current pos in the car, I am willing to do this to help out B&M to promote this product, I will say that as with all the other mods I've done with my car, it may end up with some personal "tweaking". a chromed bezel with the B&M logo will look better in my IUP-less interior and also match the MGW hardware planned for the area around the shifter.
thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of people who want a "free" kit to be test mules.. Kris Horton is already stepped into this role.
Old 11/9/06, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

yea, but he has a kodak, let the man through!
Old 11/9/06, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
To me, the biggest reason to go with an aftermarket shifter is the stock unit is plastic, feels cheap and is sloppy.

This is more like what I had in mind.... not a flat metal plate, a straight shaft and an orange on top...
the flyer looks horrible, but the updated pic subzero posted looks way better.

the pic that bwilder posted looks like it addresses the issue of the post being too tall becasue the design raises the top surface and the contour disguises some of the length.

I would imagine B&M could fabricate a cover plate like that without having to redesign the whole shifter, no?
Old 11/9/06, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilder10h
To me, the biggest reason to go with an aftermarket shifter is the stock unit is plastic, feels cheap and is sloppy.

This is more like what I had in mind.... not a flat metal plate, a straight shaft and an orange on top...
Now I would buy something like that! The pics I've seen here of the new one do nothing for me.
Old 11/9/06, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
BANG it up and down through the gears if you want!.that is what makes our quicksilver mechanism so popular with the auto crowds and the reason we chose to utilize it for this car!
Kinda new to the forum...but I want one!!!
Old 11/9/06, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Error404
yea, but he has a kodak, let the man through!

listen to the people, remember I am just trying to help.
Old 11/9/06, 10:45 PM

If it looks like the unit in this picture then I'm in.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...6&d=1163002454
Old 11/9/06, 11:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I missed the early parts of the thread, but if the rod was beefed up to some sort of plate and the ball into a Hurst type "T" shifter, I think it would fly. Small changes in my mind, but may be bigger on the production side. These are cosmetic things, as long at it works as an auto shifter who cares.
Questions I have are :
1 what about the OD switch?
2 what about the shift lock?
I like the idea, just not the looks.
Old 11/10/06, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pyrat
If it looks like the unit in this picture then I in.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...6&d=1163002454
that's what its gonna look like!
Old 11/10/06, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I missed the early parts of the thread, but if the rod was beefed up to some sort of plate and the ball into a Hurst type "T" shifter, I think it would fly. Small changes in my mind, but may be bigger on the production side. These are cosmetic things, as long at it works as an auto shifter who cares.
Questions I have are :
1 what about the OD switch?
2 what about the shift lock?
I like the idea, just not the looks.
The rod is billet...not gonna get much stronger than that!..You want a Hurst T-Handle?..Great, put it on!..In fact I encourage you to do that. Heck, maybe we can sell you one
Old 11/10/06, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
You want a Hurst T-Handle?..Great, put it on!..In fact I encourage you to do that. Heck, maybe we can sell you one
Hey, are you hinting at something here. Are you guys buying "an interest" in Hurst finally?

-Dan
Old 11/10/06, 02:32 PM
FR500 Member

He's hinted heavily in the other thread that "something" is in the works on that front.
Old 11/10/06, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

if I was so inclined to add a boot to the shifter, it wasnt hard to find one that could easily fit or be modified to fit, modding is about customizing and creativity anyway, check out this link.

oops link didnt work, hold on, heres the pict!

Old 11/10/06, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6
if I was so inclined to add a boot to the shifter, it wasnt hard to find one that could easily fit or be modified to fit, modding is about customizing and creativity anyway, check out this link.

oops link didnt work, hold on, heres the pict!

I'm not quite so sure that would work, the stick has to travel pretty far.

Quick Reply: B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..