GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
So what is the point of this "auto shifter"? To make it look like a manual shifter?

To me, the biggest reason to go with an aftermarket shifter is the stock unit is plastic, feels cheap and is sloppy.

This is more like what I had in mind.... not a flat metal plate, a straight shaft and an orange on top...
Attached Images  
Old 11/8/06, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
To me, the biggest reason to go with an aftermarket shifter is the stock unit is plastic, feels cheap and is sloppy.

This is more like what I had in mind.... not a flat metal plate, a straight shaft and an orange on top...
That boot and handle would make it good for me.

-Bryan
Old 11/8/06, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

now wait a minute guys....You have ALL seen the pic I posted of the shifter.. Keep in mind 1 major thing. The pic doug scanned was from our new products flyer and it was the ONLY prototype pieces we had created to bring to SEMA. The pic of the unit that is in the car with the dashboard pieces in the background is NOT what the shifter looks like on the console. It is the picture i am showing here!.. This is what you have all seen and this will likely be the finished product. Obviously we can't put a boot on the shifter, the bezel and console won't allow it. Also all the pieces we are going to use for this shifter are Billet!.. Not cheap plastic like the stock unit. The black delrin **** that is supplied is for the "masses" like we taked about. You can put any **** on there you want!.T-handle, different ball, Hurst **** whatever. The B&M logo will not be in the bezel either as most of you didn't want that. This unit matches the IUP package almost identically so it goes perfect color wise in the car.In fact, just to let everyone know the shifter that was on display at SEMA that doug saw in the case didn't even function yet!. We had to rush this for the new products display showing. The pic I include here IS the one I showed ALL of you previously and is the best one avail of what the end result will be. Just FYI, i too made mention that I didn't like the flyers that were produced for the show and recommended we change them..There was not enough time to do that however. Also, we cannot produce a bent stick on this unit because of the channel underneath the car.. It won't allow it and would not have enough strength during spirited shifting.
Attached Thumbnails B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..-mustang-qkslvr-cons.jpg  
Old 11/8/06, 09:42 AM
FR500 Member

Well, I guess I can look at it this way, Dan and I will be at the front of the line now

You know Chris, once you ship a few and people post good pictures of it, there'll be some converts.

Here's a question, I know there will be a channel for running wires up the shaft if one were to want to add another button on say a T-Handle. I suppose you could actually swap the OD button with one in the handle. So could there be an OD delete option? And by that I mean not have OD engraved in the bezel? I have another use in mind for where the OD button is
Old 11/8/06, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
You know Chris, once you ship a few and people post good pictures of it, there'll be some converts.
when I get mine, I can take some pictures. Never under estimate the value of a good photograph
Old 11/8/06, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think a picture of the final product installed in a IUP stang with a T-handle may help change some minds here. Your point of it matching the IUP could make a big difference. Unfortunately, none of the photos so far really give us that view. I'll keep an open mind until I see more pics. Either way, your hard work on getting this done, and your willingness to give us a price break, is greatly appreciated.
Old 11/8/06, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I guess I can look at it this way, Dan and I will be at the front of the line now

Here's a question, I know there will be a channel for running wires up the shaft if one were to want to add another button on say a T-Handle. I suppose you could actually swap the OD button with one in the handle. So could there be an OD delete option? And by that I mean not have OD engraved in the bezel? I have another use in mind for where the OD button is
Amen to that!

-Dan
Old 11/8/06, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

I wish someone would make just a t-handle shift **** for the stock shifter...
Old 11/8/06, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
I think one of the problems in this thread is that most of the haters (myself included) drive 5-speeds. Ah well, we shall see what happens when it hits the market.
I drive a stick but I'm not biased based on that. I like the shifter, but the aethestics are bad... maybe i'll have a diff opinion once i see one in a car...

again, not hating.... just being realistic in my evaluation of how it looks.
Old 11/8/06, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

You could route the wiring different I guess and run it into a t handle with a button and use the OD button for whatever you want. Remember, we need to keep it easily identifyable for the masses, but i'm sure your creativity would prevail.
Old 11/8/06, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

What we need is just one good install, with those installed pictures to help motivate the people that are on the fence. I for one would like the boot, but it will not stop me from being in line just as Dan and Tony

-Bryan
Old 11/8/06, 12:49 PM
V6 Member

I'd really like to see it installed in a car with a t handle. I won't pass anymore judgement until then...
Old 11/8/06, 01:06 PM

I dont see this being a very good bang for the buck product. My opinion is with Doug's tunes and the auto no need to move shifter for spirited driving

again my 2 cents. save the money something with more bang...
FordPwr
Old 11/8/06, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I still like it, and I'm still gonna get one. I'm buying it more for the function and less for how "cool" it looks......
Old 11/8/06, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

like I have always said: There was no way we could please everyone and I have tried to incorporate as many features as I could and still make it an attractive piece that matches the interior of the car regardless if you have the IUP, black or other interior combo. If I could have put a boot on it I would have, but that is not possible with the factory shifter design and the console baseplate.
Old 11/8/06, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Still kinda of like it. It HAS to shift better then the stock crap I have now
Old 11/8/06, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm still going to carry it too as I truly think it looks better then the stock plastic shifter. I have a few billet things in my interior too so I think the shifter will fit nicely into my package. I'll be sure and post photo's when I have mine installed along with a write up on installation.

Thanks Doug.
Old 11/8/06, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok.....I'm confused.Did'nt we all follow the other thread that had the pic in it?You know the ooooooooooooos and the aaaahs?From what I scimmed through I thought most were game for the proto .

Move over SixtySix thats me elbowin ya in line .
I'll take mine with the a T-Handle.....Subzero that B&M logo in the pic suuuuure looks tasty! hint hint.
Old 11/8/06, 05:23 PM
GT Member

My only concern is: how close does the ****/t-handle sit relative to the a/c controls while in park? In the picture it looks really close. Doug, when you get one installed could you post how close the shifter is to the dash?
Old 11/8/06, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

Can you just bang this up and down or will you have to push to the stops like the stock only without holding the button? If you do have to push it up and down to stops will the throw distance be shorter?

I'm really supprised at the sour reception, the prototype thread was frothing over with excitement and anticipation. So what if it doesn't look fancy, I think most of the people interested wanted it for function not asthetics.

Quick Reply: B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..