GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/06, 06:33 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a flash, I may get one just to reverse engineer it and see if I can pull off getting the stock shifter to ratchet.

Honestly don't have a problem with the stock IUP version, it's got a great feel, it's the right height...it just doesn't ratchet is all.

I think I'll end up liking my version of it though with the nice T-Handle on it
Old 11/7/06, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think most people, myself included figured there's no way in hell they'd release it looking like that. As Boltzman said I gave my opinion but no one else said anythinng so I guess they took it as everyone else way OK with the design. Eitherway the design needs some serious work before this shifter starts selling like hot cakes. I'm sure there will be people that will buy it even if they leave it as is but it won't compare to what sales would be like if they work on improving the looks.
Old 11/7/06, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres the original

I think one of the problems in this thread is that most of the haters (myself included) drive 5-speeds. Ah well, we shall see what happens when it hits the market.
Old 11/7/06, 07:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo

I think one of the problems in this thread is that most of the haters (myself included) drive 5-speeds. Ah well, we shall see what happens when it hits the market.
Nope, all autos... including me
Old 11/7/06, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree that I am disappointed in the final product. I really didn’t think they would actually produce the version that we saw posted in the long thread. Doug I said I would be your first customer but I have to decline. I think this thing is fugly and won’t put it in my car.

Earl
Old 11/7/06, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
Nope, all autos... including me
Steve-Post 4
TorchRedV6-Post 5
Me- Post 6
06GTwBoost- Post 7
Daryl- Post 14
All manual
Right back at ya
Old 11/7/06, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Heres the original

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...0&d=1162931923

nope one of each here. I was planning to put it in my wifes car.
Old 11/7/06, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

i hope that this picture does not do the shifter justice. i thought that they were going to have one at sema. hopefully the final version will look much better.
Old 11/7/06, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I was looking foward to this shifter..but the asthetics just aren't there. It looks to plain and cheap, especially the place on the base of the shifter. This is just my $.02 of course though.
Old 11/7/06, 08:40 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Meh, sure it ain't the prettiest shifter ever, but I still like it. Not MORE than stock, per se, but I hold nothing against it (But a Hammer shifter would have PWNED this, design wise )

anyhow, if I had an 05+ GT auto, this would definately be one of my first mods. Function over form for me. The rest of the car looks great, who cares what the shifter looks like, so long as you get the desired shifting results.

Ahh well, everyones got an opinion, its all good. I hope it sells well though, I mean it is just plain great that there is now an aftermarket peice for the new ford 5speed

EDIT:

anyone else notice that http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...5&d=1162938507 this shifter is the exact same pic as
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...0&d=1162931923 this picture, only with more blur?
just a rambling thought
Old 11/7/06, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

2 things jump out at me. IN the original thread with the picture, theres just the floor console.... NO A/C panel etc in front. With the poor photo of the shifter Doug posted, the round straight shift rod really looks out of place when shown with the dash A/C panel in front. A bend to the rear about 1 1/2 inches up would do wonders.
Look at the Quicksilvers for the late model Camaro/Firebirds you will see what I mean. The flat curved shift rod on the Camaro/Firebird Quicksilvers look much better. It just jumps out at you in this particular photo as does the lack of a long narrow boot cover the slot for the shift rod. Also the Hex nuts on the shift indicator plate need to be black.
Old 11/7/06, 11:03 PM

Actually the picture of the prototype looks better than the picture of the mounted unit. The prototypes black shift indicator looks much better then the blue/green shift indicator on the second unit, and the base plate looks cheaper on the second unit too. I also agree that seeing it mounted, it does look like a knuckle buster. The prototype was viewed from the left rear so you couldn't see directly into the shift lever slot. From the rear it appears you can see part of the shifting mechanism. This gives it an kind of unfinished look.

I'm still interested in the shifting mechanism, but I'm not sure I'm still interested in it at the price point quoted in the other thread. I agree with one of the other guys, it looks like the shifter would need some work if fitted into a street machine.

Doug, what was the response at SEMA?
Old 11/7/06, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

wow, the tides turned on this, this may of scared off production for a while, hopefully not, shifter is the same as pictured in the other thread by subzero, why would anyone think it would be different looking? I am still interested, my plans were for the T handle, cueballs go on the manual shifter IMO
Old 11/7/06, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pyrat
From the rear it appears you can see part of the shifting mechanism. This gives it an kind of unfinished look.
that's most likely due to the flash.
Old 11/8/06, 12:14 AM

This is just my opinion so it doesn't count for much. I really like the O/D button where it is. I constantly turn it on and off for the downshift/no upshift. I hit it with my pinky finger and wouldn't want it anywhere else. Put a button on top and I might buy it. Otherwise, I'll save my coin. I could almost buy a 3.2" pulley and some 60# injectors for the MSRP!
Old 11/8/06, 01:02 AM
Cobra Member

well, Im pleased with the result and I already know Im going to be mounting a pistol grip **** with 12v button when this goes in the car.

You guys fail to realize that its A ****ING SHIFTER!!! If you really care what it looks like go buy A ****ING MERCEDES BENZ!!!

****ERS...

-Dan
Old 11/8/06, 02:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland

You guys fail to realize that its A ****ING SHIFTER!!! If you really care what it looks like go buy A ****ING MERCEDES BENZ!!!

****ERS...

-Dan
oh really...
Old 11/8/06, 02:56 AM
Cobra Member

Technically I'm still sure it's a great piece of engineering.
I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed by the latest pic, but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker. I'm sure B&M can work on the appearence and make it a sure hit. I'll just wait for some installed pics or maybe even a "version 2" before ordering, but I'm still very much interested.
Old 11/8/06, 04:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Technically I'm still sure it's a great piece of engineering.
I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed by the latest pic, but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker. I'm sure B&M can work on the appearence and make it a sure hit. I'll just wait for some installed pics or maybe even a "version 2" before ordering, but I'm still very much interested.

I too am bit disappointed. I really wanted a boot and a T handle, or at the very least more of a matching look. I know I can buy the T handle, but the base looks very naked and the shifter itself is now too skinny. However, all of my concerns can be fixed with a boot.

I may still purchase it (undecided) but only if I can find a way to attach a leather boot to dress it up.

And before I get flamed about complaining after the fact I specifically asked for a boot, asked to remove the logos and to make it look stock as much as possible.

-Bryan
Old 11/8/06, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
So what is the point of this "auto shifter"? To make it look like a manual shifter?

Quick Reply: B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..