GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/06, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd start a new thread about this since it is new information. I saw the shifter at Sema and it is truly a very nice part. They did have it in a car but I wasn't able to locate it, it wasn't in the B&M booth. Still they had it on display and they had a handout showing it installed, see picture. I spoke with Chris and we discussed the process of it and some of the hurdles he had to overcome through it all.

The shifter will come standard with this round ball on top but any of the B&M style shifters, like those with the buttons, will be available as well for use with the shifter, sold seperately.

The big thing everyones been waiting on, the price. We spoke about it and I should be able to offer it to you guys for something in the low $300's as the MSRP is $409.52.

I gave Chris all of my information and he told me that we would set it all up and they would HOPEFULLY start shipping in early December. Once I hear from him and we work out the details of become a B&M vendor then I will have a set price and will let everyone know what that is.

Thanks, Doug.
Attached Thumbnails B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..-b-mshifter.jpg  
Old 11/7/06, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

***I know Doug had nothing to do with the design or creation of this shifter. I'm just stating my opinion on the look/design of it.***

Speaking only about the appearance I think it leaves much to be desired. Here's a few things I don't like about it:

The rod that connects to the **** looks cheap and could have had more style I.E. look something like the hurst handles. Or at the very least they could have shortened the length of the rod and put a leather cover around it. There's a million different things they could of done to make that look better.

The face plate could have been reworked to atleast make it look more oem. The whole design looks out of place in the car.

I was really excited when I hear B&M was making one but I can't and won't put something that ugly in my car. Well that's my .02 hopefully I didn't ruffle any feathers.
Old 11/7/06, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dig it, It's nice and simple. That's kind of what the 05+ interior is, just simple and clean. But they skimped on the construction materials and everything is cheap feeling. A bit *too* simple I'm afraid. Hope the shifter feels solid! :-)
Old 11/7/06, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

All that wait and hype and this is what the end result is? Yuck! Looks like a orange sitting on top of a toothpick. I was thinking something along the lines of the the old Megashifter or something. I agree with Leo, it looks completely outta place in that car.
Old 11/7/06, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad I don't have an automatic!
Old 11/7/06, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fxdwg2002
All that wait and hype and this is what the end result is? Yuck! Looks like a orange sitting on top of a toothpick. I was thinking something along the lines of the the old Megashifter or something. I agree with Leo, it looks completely outta place in that car.
That made me laugh, orange on a toothpick! I must agree with the glad to have a manual comment though.
Old 11/7/06, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

a Megashifter style look would have been better and it looks like in the Park position your knuckles will be touching the heater controls.

kinda looks like a$$ to me...

but what do I know... they will probably sell thousands.

<--- another, "glad I don't drive an automatic" driver.
Old 11/7/06, 04:40 PM
GT Member

I am going to say it.. I can't sit back. I am real disappointed in what they did. No way i am putting that in my wifes car. Yes, even if it were given to me free. It does not look good in my view. Plain buttUgly, stock looks much much better..... There, did I say enough?

Doug, I wouldn't vend it if I were you! You will get stuck with a lot of inventory..

There I said more...

oh I had to edit for one more thought: This ones a ****er NOT a shifter !

bring it!
Old 11/7/06, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Won't go on my auto..... one word fugguly!!!!!
Scott
Old 11/7/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow I didn't think it would be so unanimous. I guess when it looks that crappy it's hard for it not to be. I feel bad for "Subzero" though since I remember him saying it would be his *** if this wasn't successful. So far it's looking like a flop. I think they paid to much attention to the mechanical side of things and forgot about design.
Old 11/7/06, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow, this isn't exactly the responce I thought I would get after a 30 page plus post about it's design. Still, there are other handles available and it does look better then the factory black shifter, non-IUP, so I'll have one in my car. Maybe they'll be some better responce to it when I have an actual picture to compare it to other then that one.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 11/7/06, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Wow I didn't think it would be so unanimous. I guess when it looks that crappy it's hard for it not to be. I feel bad for "Subzero" though since I remember him saying it would be his *** if this wasn't successful. So far it's looking like a flop. I think they paid to much attention to the mechanical side of things and forgot about design.

I agree with this opinion. I want it to work as advertised but make it look like it belongs in my street machine. This is my daily driver. If it was all about racing I would gut the interior and then this shifter would look right at home. The idea is great...just give it some looks!!
Scott
Old 11/7/06, 05:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Wow, this isn't exactly the responce I thought I would get after a 30 page plus post about it's design. Still, there are other handles available and it does look better then the factory black shifter, non-IUP, so I'll have one in my car. Maybe they'll be some better responce to it when I have an actual picture to compare it to other then that one.

Thanks, Doug.
Doug, You KNOW we all like you. I think it may be wise to not get in to this too far with your ca$h! Feedback from the guys who like to spend money doesn't look good for sure....
Old 11/7/06, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

WOW. I am sorry guys but that has got to be the ugliest shifter EVER.
I agree with most in here, that it just looks too plain. I do not like the stock shifter but would MUCH rather have it than this disaster.
(I have a manual anyway )
Old 11/7/06, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GIG4FUN
Doug, You KNOW we all like you. I think it may be wise to not get in to this too far with your ca$h! Feedback from the guys who like to spend money doesn't look good for sure....

yes, none of the comments are directed toward Doug.

It's the aesthetics that aren't appealing...

thinking back to the megashifter back in teh 80's..that was an attractive piece of equipment.... although there is no doubt that it's a quality piece of gear... I'm sure it's 100% top notch as far as shifters.
Old 11/7/06, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys,

No offense taken, I didn't design it, but Subzero here on the forums had a major part to play in that. Maybe he can get in on this thread when he sees it and offer some input.

Thanks, Doug
Old 11/7/06, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I must say... I am disappointed. I am still pumped about someday getting an autoshifter, but unless they jazz it up a bit, it won't be this one. Even with a different handle, it still looks like it's in the testing phase to me. I thought the final product would look less basic. I'll wait for the inevitable cosmetic improvement before buying.
Old 11/7/06, 06:23 PM
V6 Member

Maybe this thread should be killed until we get some actual photos. That shifter looks way cheap... At least the stock peice of plastic has a raised panel where the indicator lights are and doesn't look like we dropped a flat plate in a hole to fill an opening....
Old 11/7/06, 06:27 PM
FR500 Member

Here's what I think. Where was everybodies comments when he was getting input? It's exactly what the mockup looked like.

I'm sure it looks better in person, and what's really throwing everybody off is the horrible photo. Should have been taken in daylight with the car outside in the mid-day sun. The flash photography ruined that picture.
Old 11/7/06, 06:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was the first time you guys saw this?Where were you guys when subzero unveiled it on that huge thread?..The only person who said they didn't like it on that thread was Leo. Tons of people said they loved it(to each his own)..I too am very dissapointed and decided to dress up mine for now until something better comes along.

Quick Reply: B&M's new Autoshifter with Pictures..