GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone lose their SCT tune and have to reload?

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone lose their SCT tune and have to reload?

I could swear I read a thread about this somewhere, but after looking on TMS and two other large sites, I've decided to post this here.

I have the SCT Xcal-2 and I was out with my Passport G-Timer this past weekend. My 0-60 times have dropped off from 4.8/4.9 (with a best of 4.75) to 5.5, 5.4, and 5.3 on three consecutive runs. Note the 4.8s were BEFORE the Steeda UDPs. The best I could muster WITH UDPs was a 5.38.

Granted, it was much hotter and more humidity than when I ran my 4.8s. But to drop off .5 seconds AND have the pullies installed? So yesterday and today I was just driving around trying to remember how the car launched from stop lights right after I installed the tunes. It seemed very 'quick'. Today on the way to work I noticed the launches had a little 'bog'.

So I'm going to re-load my 93 Octang Tune (pun intended) tonight when I return home and see if I get that crisp throttle response back. YES, I realize it's June and it's hotter, but c'mon. To lose .5 second in 0-60? That would make it a second in the quarter, or darn close to it.

So let's hear it. Can the on-board computer adjust on the fly or throw out the tune and cause me to lose that sweet performance? Let me know your thoughts and I'll update this thread tonight/tomorrow after I re-load the tune.
Old 6/11/07, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Temperature could easily account for that. How about altitude? That also can make a huge difference. Your before and after tests MUST be run at the same altitude and as close possible to each other in terms of temperature, humidity, ect. otherwise it's not a direct comparision.
Old 6/11/07, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

I could not agree more, 281GT. It should be done on the same day. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. So for just a minute, read the first post without the background, and go with the important question first and foremost:

"Can the on-board computer adjust on the fly or throw out the tune and cause me to lose that sweet performance I noticed when I first uploaded it? So much so, that I would need to RE-upload to get me back to the 'full tune'."
Old 6/11/07, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pitpup
"Can the on-board computer adjust on the fly or throw out the tune and cause me to lose that sweet performance I noticed when I first uploaded it? So much so, that I would need to RE-upload to get me back to the 'full tune'."
I highly doubt it. The tune sets the parameters that the PCM works off of.

Although re-downloading the tune can't hurt.
Old 6/11/07, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the computer can re adapt like it does with the stock tune, just install the tune again and find out if that fixes your problem....its not like the car will explode if you do.
Old 6/11/07, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
I think the computer can re adapt like it does with the stock tune, just install the tune again and find out if that fixes your problem....its not like the car will explode if you do.
Dang! I was so hoping it would explode into the 12's if it DID!

TacoBill, I read your post, too. Thanks for the reply...
Old 6/12/07, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

While waiting for responses to this thread, I emailed Brenspeed to confirm a few things. This was my (same day) response:

Your adaptive learning is turned off meaning the car will not adapt. BUT outside temperature makes a HUGE difference on the all aluminum 3 valve engine.

Well, I gotta tell ya. That may be the case. But last night before hitting the hay, I uploaded my 93 tune again for the first time in 4 months (give or take). Here is what I observed on my way to work this morning:

1. The car lurches/launches from a dead stop instead of bogging down. (Good thing)
2. Pickup in 2nd between 2000 and 3000 rpms has returned!
3. Gas mileage has increased from 17.6 to 19.1 on my commute in. (Mostly city.)
4. SOTP says the car has returned to its old self again.

Now, I'm not saying Brent and crew is wrong. I love these guys. The best. The only ones I recommend for SCT & CAI to my friends. But uploading the tune made all the difference in the world. Not sure why I had to do this if adaptive learning is turned off, but in my case, the car needed a reload.

And no, I'm not imagining all this. The difference in the gas mileage via onboard computer is confirmation of what the SOTP feel was giving me. The lesson here is, nobody knows your car like you do. If you feel it's off, it's off. Go with your gut feelings. The Passport G-Timer helped me to confirm this, too. I'm sorry, but to go from consistent 4.8s to 5.3's ... EVEN WITH THE TEMP CHANGE was a bit much. Guys at the track talk about losing 2-4 tenths in the quarter on hot days in nasty weather. To lose 6 tenths in 0-60... that puppy was off. But it's fixed now.

I kinda had a feeling the reload would solve the problem. I was just surprised that I would have to do it as I remember now that 'adaptive learning' is disabled by all the big tuners.
Old 6/12/07, 09:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pitpup
... but in my case, the car needed a reload.
Don't we all!

Glad you got the pep back in her step!
Old 6/12/07, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Makes you wonder if a reload is good with every oil change or something???? Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
Old 6/12/07, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
Makes you wonder if a reload is good with every oil change or something???? Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
A very good point. I'm really curious now about my highway mileage. I went to Lime Rock CT to see the Koni Challenge and averaged 25.5 miles on the entire trip. I can't help but wonder if I should have gotten even more. I put the Steeda UDPs on in April but did not reload the tune. One would not need to. But I wonder!

When I ordered the SCT from Brent, I got JUST the tuner and kept my stock air box for the first two weeks. And used 87 octane gas. The car ROCKED! So I followed up with the DeMolet CAI and new tunes... went to 93, the car really rocked.

Lately, the car was feeling like before I got the bare tuner. So something wasn't right. Being in the IT field myself, sometimes a 'reboot' is all that is needed. I have nothing but praise for Brenspeed... I think it was just one of those things. But I certainly DO notice a difference. I will keep an eye on this and post additional findings should they come up.

I like the 'planned' maintenance of uploading every XXXX miles!
Old 6/14/07, 05:44 AM
Cobra Member

As I suspected... I put the Passport G-Timer in the car. With 1/8th tank and 25 psi I ran a 4.93 0-60 Granny shifting. I went to the Sunoco, FILLED the tank, brought the pressure back up to 32 psi and drove 3 miles on the full tank. I decided to make one more run. I pulled a 4.92 WITH the gas and 32 psi tires. This compared to the 5.38 I ran the other night before the tune re-load.

Whether the G-Timer is accurate or not isn't the point. It shows relative times, if not true times. .46 seconds in 0-60 is big. Very big. And, as I pointed out above, 3 miles short of a full tank of gas and tire pressures at full boat.

Moral to the story? Trust your gut feelings... aka the SOTP!
Old 6/14/07, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was talking to CR about that adaptive learning stuff. He says it is adjustable in the tune. They don't just have the choice of on or off, but can set a % of learning. His tunes have some adpative learning ability still available. It would be interesting to dyno after a few weeks of driving, then reload the same tune for the next run.
Old 6/14/07, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm going to reload my tune this weekend. Just took a long trip and my mpg was down almost two mpg from last year. Don't know if the ethanol would make that big a difference but I'll see if there is any change after the reload. Maybe Doug will comment on the adaptive learning issue if anyone is talking to him.
Old 6/14/07, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Wow. Glad I made this post now!

I'm not sure where in the tune you set that 'adaptability percentage'. I've never seen a prompt for it. Perhaps I just didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for.

Chris: Trust your instincts regarding the mileage. I'll bet it goes back up. Make a mental note of your launches from a dead stop and concentrate on your 1st and 2nd gear SOTP feel. AND, this just in...

This morning I noticed when I start the car, I have to turn the key and almost instantly let it go. For at least a week before I reloaded the tune, I noticed this behavior: I'd turn the key and hold it the same amount of time (a split second really) that I did today, but the car wouldn't start. I'd have to turn the key and hold it an additional second, second and a half before it would fire. Since re-loading the tune, it's back to that 'split second and she fires right up' routine.

So looking back, all the signs were right there staring me in the face. The decrease in mileage, the sluggishness off the line, the dead spot from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm, the harder starting. I believe all y'all are correct. The adaptive learning caught up with me. Took a while, but it did.

Oh, and last night when I ripped thru 1st and 2nd getting to 60mph for my G-Timer, the car was 'fun again'. I felt like I was "hauling the mail" and not dropping off 3rd class poop!

I hate to sound like a broken record, but AGAIN, this is not a knock on Brenspeed.com. They RULE. (As does Doug at Bamachips!) This is a Ford thing and I can live with it. I just wish I knew to re-load the tunes every so often. I'm thinking once a month or right before I go out for 'rice'...

Old 6/14/07, 05:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
So to reload the tune do I have to flash back to stock first and then reload, or just load the (in my case) 89 tune again?
Old 6/14/07, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

You do not need to go back to stock. Just upload right over top... The SCT WILL verify the stock tune IN the tuner is intact, but yes, it's that easy.

Happy Tuning!
Old 8/1/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi Stan, guys,

Did anyone ever determine where the adaptive learning % might be hiding in the SCT setup?

Thanks