GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

anyone get or getting underdrive pulleys? are

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/05, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any negative side effects to UP? Short or long term?
Old 2/5/05, 09:11 AM
FR500 Member

IMO on older cars they can cause overheating. I will keep my original pulleys as long as I keep my car.
Old 2/5/05, 09:18 AM

I have seen dyno proven 5hp from pulleys on previous stangs I have owned, the only ones I have dynoed have been modular motors though they included an alternator pulley as well. The new kits do not due to a device in the factory pulley that is similar to a clutch. You can get the best deal that I have seen from Sean Hyland Motorsports on the web. They also mfg most of the rotating internals for the new 3V motor, as well as are a Steeda distributor.

seanhylandmotorsports.com Pulleys from them cost $169.00.
Old 2/5/05, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dhof303@February 5, 2005, 10:21 AM
I have seen dyno proven 5hp from pulleys on previous stangs I have owned, the only ones I have dynoed have been modular motors though they included an alternator pulley as well. The new kits do not due to a device in the factory pulley that is similar to a clutch. You can get the best deal that I have seen from Sean Hyland Motorsports on the web. They also mfg most of the rotating internals for the new 3V motor, as well as are a Steeda distributor.

Man, we do have similar mod taste's! I'm thinking about ordering Sean Hyland pulley's too. Also interested in thier forged internals. They look like a good outfit anyone have any experiance with them?
Old 2/5/05, 03:21 PM

I have the Steeda set. I did notice a difference!
Old 2/5/05, 03:45 PM

Man, we do have similar mod taste's! I'm thinking about ordering Sean Hyland pulley's too. Also interested in thier forged internals. They look like a good outfit anyone have any experiance with them?
[/quote]

Justin, just checking, but aren't you planning on getting a supercharger? If so do not put pullies on your car unless you plan to take them off and sell them prior to the supercharger install. This mistake could cause you to underdrive your supercharger and lose more hp than you make up with the pullies.
Old 2/5/05, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

I was talking to my dad, a old car guy (he built and modded 442's and GTOs back in the day), but he has little knowledge about newer cars. He is trying to convince me not to get an underdrive pulley b/c of the threat of overheating anf undercharging. I know some people that had these problems on 5.0 mustangs, but what experiences have anyone had with 2005s as far as the drawbacks of the pulleys.
Old 2/5/05, 09:18 PM
FR500 Member

If at any time the cars cooling system becomes marginal, than the pulleys can put you over the top. Your dad is correct that it can sometimes create a problem for you. My dyno showed an increase of 2rwhp and 4rwt with the average torque staying a little higher, a little longer. Not a major improvement, IMO. Unless you are going all out for performance, it may not be for you. As I posted above, I will keep my stock pulleys so if I decide to keep the car long term and wish to go back to stock, I can. Unless you are actually going to race the car actively, the pulleys may not be worth the money and concern they cost.
Old 2/5/05, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wild stray@February 5, 2005, 10:21 PM
If at any time the cars cooling system becomes marginal, than the pulleys can put you over the top. Your dad is correct that it can sometimes create a problem for you. My dyno showed an increase of 2rwhp and 4rwt with the average torque staying a little higher, a little longer. Not a major improvement, IMO. Unless you are going all out for performance, it may not be for you. As I posted above, I will keep my stock pulleys so if I decide to keep the car long term and wish to go back to stock, I can. Unless you are actually going to race the car actively, the pulleys may not be worth the money and concern they cost.
Thanks. You made my mind up for me. I am not going to get one. It's not worth 2 rwhp to even worry/pay for it.
Old 2/6/05, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dhof303,February 5, 2005, 4:48 PM
Justin, just checking, but aren't you planning on getting a supercharger? If so do not put pullies on your car unless you plan to take them off and sell them prior to the supercharger install. This mistake could cause you to underdrive your supercharger and lose more hp than you make up with the pullies.
[/quote]

That's a good point Derek, But couldn't I compensate for that by changing out the S/C pulley? That way the small additional gain aswell as my other mod's could tide me over till the S/C time come's? Or is that not feesable? I have not crossed this bridge before.
Old 2/7/05, 02:54 PM

[quote=Vegasjay,February 6, 2005, 7:33 PM]
That's a good point Derek, But couldn't I compensate for that by changing out the S/C pulley? That way the small additional gain aswell as my other mod's could tide me over till the S/C time come's? Or is that not feesable? I have not crossed this bridge before.
Justin, you could change the pulley when the S/C came in but the crank pulley is the major hp releasing agent. Remember riding your bicycle and when you changed gears on the front cog it was much easier to pedal when compared to a gear change on the rear cog? There would be most likely no noticeble power gain from having the water pump pulley from the underdrive kit left on and using a S/C crank pulley, not to mention the possibility of overheating given the S/C will increase engine operating temps. If you do just put them on until the S/C got here then I would reccomend taking them off and selling them on e-bay or at a local performance shop consignment. I will probably do the latter option myself just to let you know.
Old 2/7/05, 03:03 PM

Do they void warranty?
Old 2/7/05, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by red05stang@February 7, 2005, 4:06 PM
Do they void warranty?
Ford will be happy to tell you that if you modify anything then the "warranty" will be voided. The scale of the "warranty" that will be voided is the only variable that is inconsistent. I have found that most Ford dealers will only void warranty items that have been directly affected by your modification, if this is true then you will probably see a void on replacement of the pullies obviously, and the serpentine belt system. If you ran into trouble with the warranty of any other item on the engine such as the cooling/charging system Ford may be reluctant to warranty but this modification has been done by so many other consumers without problems for the past 10 years they would have a hard time proving the pullies caused any damage.
Old 2/7/05, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

[quote=dhof303,February 7, 2005, 3:57 PM]
Originally Posted by Vegasjay,February 6, 2005, 7:33 PM
Justin, you could change the pulley when the S/C came in but the crank pulley is the major hp releasing agent. Remember riding your bicycle and when you changed gears on the front cog it was much easier to pedal when compared to a gear change on the rear cog? There would be most likely no noticeble power gain from having the water pump pulley from the underdrive kit left on and using a S/C crank pulley, not to mention the possibility of overheating given the S/C will increase engine operating temps. If you do just put them on until the S/C got here then I would reccomend taking them off and selling them on e-bay or at a local performance shop consignment. I will probably do the latter option myself just to let you know.
Thank's Derek! I'll just swap them out when the S/C arrive's. I'll e-bay them, mabey that'll cover the after S/C Dyno. I'll definatley want maximum cooiling potential with the S/C bolted on!
Old 2/8/05, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Thos that have installed the pulley kit..Have you noticed any variation in your charging system or Temp?
Old 2/8/05, 08:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dhof303@February 5, 2005, 10:21 AM

I only live 1 hour from Sean Hyland Motorsports. You should see the cars they have at that place

Too bad most of their stuff is over priced. I am surprised the pulleys aren't more.
Old 2/8/05, 08:49 AM
FR500 Member

[quote=subzero05,February 8, 2005, 7:07 AM]
Thos that have installed the pulley kit..Have you noticed any variation in your charging system or Temp?

No changes on mine.
Old 2/9/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

FWIW, if your Stang ever has an engine problem which is related to heat, they could easily void your engine warranty by saying that your UPs caused the engine to run too hot.