GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any way to adjust the brakes from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/05, 04:42 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
My brakes stink. The pedal feels mushy and the braking distances seem too long. My '03 stopped a LOT better than the '05 and the pedal was much firmer and seemed to engage and begin stopping the car sooner.

Even the parking brake seems "off" I have to pull it up almost all the way if I'm on the slightest incline. The '03 would hold with just 2 clicks.

I plan on bigger & better tires as soon as the wheels I want are available, but something seems wrong from the factory. Sure there's 100 lb weight increase, but the brakes are bigger. Shouldn't the '05 stop at least as good as an '03? heck, IIRC, both my '88 5.0's stopped better than this thing... with rear DRUMS!

Is there anything I can adjust that maybe wasn't set correctly at the factory? I wouldn't have even thought of this, but with the poor braking distances, mushy pedal feel, AND the parking brake problem combined, I thought maybe something was wrong.
Old 4/17/05, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut@April 17, 2005, 4:45 PM
My brakes stink. The pedal feels mushy and the braking distances seem too long. My '03 stopped a LOT better than the '05 and the pedal was much firmer and seemed to engage and begin stopping the car sooner.

Even the parking brake handle seems "off" I have to pull it up almost all the way if I'm on the slightest incline. The '03 would hold with just 2 clicks.

I plan on bigger & better tires as soon as the wheels I want are available, but something seems wrong from the factory. Sure there's 100 lb weight increase, but the brakes are bigger. Shouldn't the '05 stop at least as good as an '03? heck, IIRC, both my '88 5.0's stopped better than this thing... with rear DRUMS!

Is there anything I can adjust that maybe wasn't set correctly at the factory? I wouldn't have even thought of this, but with the poor braking distances, mushy pedal feel, AND the parking brake problem combined, I thought maybe something was wrong.
Dealer + Warranty = fix
Old 4/17/05, 05:32 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The parking brake can be adjusted. From what I've read on the forum, you can adjust it by accessing it through the center console. There's a plate that pops out in there.
But, before I started messing with it, I'd get the main problem fixed first. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe you're low on brake fluid? I don't know because I don't mess w/ brakes. I'll tinker w/ a lot of mods, but brakes I leave to the pros. I'm not as concerned with being able to start and go fast as I am being able to stop fast.
If memory serves, you work at a dealership? I'd let them do it and send the bill to Ford.
Just my .02
Old 4/17/05, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's most likely air in the system if the pedal is spongy. Let the dealer fix it.
Old 4/17/05, 06:42 PM

It's not really a dealership. We just put bodies on the trucks. That's how I had it delivered to work.
I'll be taking it in next week. I'm not REAL worried because the car stops good, just not anywhere near what I expected.

How does everyone else's pedal feel?

I noticed last night once I get about half-way down with the pedal, they feel more like I expect them to.
Old 4/17/05, 07:50 PM
FR500 Member

The brakes on mine feel very firm with very little travel. I would give the problem to the dealer as a warranty item.
Old 4/17/05, 07:54 PM
GT Member

I find the brakes on my car to be very solid, and yours should be also. I find them to be a pretty strong part of the car.

Take it to the dealer, and don't let them tell you the brakes are ok.

My 2000 Explorer's e brake were poor from day one. Each time back to the dealer, they said that there was nothing wrong with them.

A year out of warranty I had to replace the ebrake system, costing $600 that probably should not have happened.
Old 4/17/05, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Could it be exclusive to us PW owners?

I thought the brakes felt different from my 01 but, not knowing a lot about cars, figured it was supposed to be that way. Keep us updated on what they say, I won't be taking my car back in for another 2-3 weeks.
Old 4/17/05, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Let the Dealer fix you don't wanto be messing and Voiding your warranty
Old 4/17/05, 10:17 PM

Oh believe me, I'm not doing ANYTHING to that car, I can can get the dealer to do for free.
I've been trying to make time to take it in for the Global Window problem ever since I got it. Now I just have more of a reason to go.
Old 4/17/05, 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Excellent Will Power !! and Patients
Old 4/18/05, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Jason,

I have the same mushy feeling that you are describing. I will have to make the time to take it in again. I thought it was normal. What really stinks is I had mine in for the gas tank replacement two weeks ago and if I would have know then.... Oh well back to the dealer she goes.
Old 4/18/05, 05:59 PM

We'll have to keep each other updated. I wanted to take my car in today, but I was too busy at work. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 4/18/05, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Mine feel fine after TA DA!!!....drum roll....3,ooo miles!! Actually, I was noticing that my '05 brakes feel much more responsive than those of my 2000 GT - and are not mushy at all. Have you washed your engine area? I ask because the brake resevior is vented and H20 can enter through the cap unless you cover it when washing....sounds like you have some sort of contaminent in the fluid.

The parking brake is mechanical and should not be affected by otherwise "spongy" brake feel.....it is easily adjustable via the access door inside the center console (front wall) and you probably just need to adjust for the slight cable stretch from it being new.....I had to adjust mine as I can sometimes really "gorilla" the brake lever - so hard my girlfriend can't release it sometimes

And last but not least - as our '05's now share the same fluid between the hydraulic clutch and the brakes - I'm wondering if the fluid is going to be getting dirtier faster.....for some reason the hydraulic clutch system on my '04 CBR gets dirty very fast - while the brake fluid stays clean much longer.....

Good luck and post what your dealer has to say on the subject.
Old 4/19/05, 07:46 PM

Too busy again today. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 4/19/05, 08:03 PM

Well the P-brake adjustment worked. 10mm long socket. Clokwise tightens the handle (cable) Musch better now. THANKS!
Funny thing is, I think I was the first person to mention that access panel back when I test drove the first one to come to my town back in October. We figured out what it was, but I forgot all about it.
Old 4/19/05, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rhoover2@April 18, 2005, 2:10 PM
Jason,

I have the same mushy feeling that you are describing. I will have to make the time to take it in again. I thought it was normal. What really stinks is I had mine in for the gas tank replacement two weeks ago and if I would have know then.... Oh well back to the dealer she goes.

Ron - please share with us what your dealer did to fix the fuel tank filling issue? I've had this since day one and have been wondering what the fix is....is it just a larger filler tube/hose - or did they change out the entire fuel tank???

thx - Bradley
Old 4/19/05, 11:08 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=HOTLAP,April 19, 2005, 10:06 PM]
Originally Posted by rhoover2,April 18, 2005, 2:10 PM
Jason,

Ron - please share with us what your dealer did to fix the fuel tank filling issue? I've had this since day one and have been wondering what the fix is....is it just a larger filler tube/hose - or did they change out the entire fuel tank???

It's very strange to me that some people have the filling problem and some don't?

Paul
Old 4/20/05, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

They changed the entire fuel tank. I dropped it off one night and it was done the next afternoon. There is a service bulletin out to fix it.

Here it is in case you haven't seen it.

FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL TSB 05-4-8
ISSUE:
Some 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit the fuel tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may be described as, repeated rapid shutoffs of the filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle shutoffs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

ACTION:
Install a new fuel tank. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling. Remove the fuel tank assembly per Section 310-01 of the Workshop Manual.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
050408A 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC: Replace Fuel Tank (Includes Time To Drain, Refill And Transfer Any Necessary Parts) (Do Not Use With 9002A, 9275A, 9350E) 1.7 Hrs.
050408B 2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: Replace Fuel Tank (Includes Time To Drain, Refill And Transfer Any Necessary Parts) (Do Not Use With 9002A, 9275A, 9350E) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9002 42
Old 4/24/05, 06:49 PM

Took the car to the dealer and they said (just as I figured) there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes. Anyone want to let me drive their's for comparison?