GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any reason for not doing this combo?

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/05, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I could spend ~$700 on a full new catback system, or spend $300-400 on mufflers and be left with the stock H-pipe. But in terms of price efficiency and gaining performance, I was thinking this combo made sense - any performance gains in the exhaust seem to come from switching the H-Pipe to an X-pipe to free up some back pressure, and the SLPs have the look and sound I'm after. Each piece alone is ~$250 - so by using the factory pipes but switching the mufflers/tips and the H-pipe to X-pipe, I'd expect the most cost-efficient performance and sound/appearance gain.

Before I pull the trigger on these parts, is there anything I'm missing? Any reason this wouldn't work or isn't recommended?

By the way, I got my baby yesterday. A beautiful Redfire. Haven't had the chance to take pictures yet, but will soon and will start a new "coming out" thread for her. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 5/26/05, 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

whether you buy the axle back or the cat back kit, you are still left with the stock H pipe......
Old 5/26/05, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@May 26, 2005, 1:24 PM
whether you buy the axle back or the cat back kit, you are still left with the stock H pipe......
That's why I was talking about buying the Bassani X-pipe and the SLP axel-backs, rather than a full cat-back system. Thanks for the advice over PM.
Old 5/26/05, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

get rid of the stock cats !!!!!!!!!! or your wasting your time.
Old 5/26/05, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by porsche@May 26, 2005, 2:23 PM
get rid of the stock cats !!!!!!!!!! or your wasting your time.
Bassani X-pipe comes with cats, I think. Don't know how different they are from stock ones. Check out the picture here:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtbasx.htm

Edit: My bad - that's the picture of the cat-back. I was thinking just the X-pipe. At the same link, you can click on the little photo icon of the X-pipe alone to see just that, FYI.

Taking cats out completely probably means not emissions compliant, right? I'd probably just as soon leave 'em on and be compliant (since I'd have to throw them back in there every now and then for an emissions test), although I might be persuaded otherwise.
Old 5/26/05, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

you can get hi flow with cats with x pipe or just a x pipe!
Get the hi-flow x with cats!
Old 5/26/05, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@May 26, 2005, 2:09 PM
So I could spend ~$700 on a full new catback system, or spend $300-400 on mufflers and be left with the stock H-pipe. But in terms of price efficiency and gaining performance, I was thinking this combo made sense - any performance gains in the exhaust seem to come from switching the H-Pipe to an X-pipe to free up some back pressure, and the SLPs have the look and sound I'm after. Each piece alone is ~$250 - so by using the factory pipes but switching the mufflers/tips and the H-pipe to X-pipe, I'd expect the most cost-efficient performance and sound/appearance gain.

Before I pull the trigger on these parts, is there anything I'm missing? Any reason this wouldn't work or isn't recommended?

By the way, I got my baby yesterday. A beautiful Redfire. Haven't had the chance to take pictures yet, but will soon and will start a new "coming out" thread for her. Just thought I'd mention it.
Sent you a PM!
Old 5/26/05, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by porsche@May 26, 2005, 4:31 PM
you can get hi flow with cats with x pipe or just a x pipe!
Get the hi-flow x with cats!
Their X-Pipe (Bassani) comes with the needed parts to replace the cats if you want to, then... it would be easy to put them back in if necessary.
Old 5/26/05, 06:03 PM
GT Member

I think a Bassani off road X and SLP Loudmouths would be a little too loud, but if you want to be a guinea pig then all power to ya bro!
Old 5/26/05, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the SLPs and was thinking more on the lines of getting the Magnaflow catted X-pipe. I keep looking at the pics of these X pipes and wonder if any modification is needed to connect from the X to the mufflers... tips I mean.
Old 5/26/05, 06:14 PM
GT Member

The stock intermediate pipes will still be in use (the pipes between the X and the axle-backs), so I doubt any modifications would be necessary.
Old 5/26/05, 08:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Well since I just installed compcats, xpipe, axle backs all bassani, you can see my posting under bassani. It is awesome, and the bassani muffler tips etc. look awesome, very nice and loud. I would stick with bassani for all of it, if you can afford it. I think I saw a place you can get it all for about 850-900. Well worth the money. Good luck
Old 5/26/05, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the SLPs with the Bassani high flow X pipe would sound hot.... but I doubt that those high flow cats are emissions legal. What State are you in?
Old 5/26/05, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@May 26, 2005, 2:09 PM

I think the x pipe with the SLP's would sound sick!!! Keep the stock cats to remain emissions legal and cut down on some of the drone.

My 2 cents.
Old 5/26/05, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangFreak@May 26, 2005, 10:23 PM
I think the x pipe with the SLP's would sound sick!!! Keep the stock cats to remain emissions legal and cut down on some of the drone.

My 2 cents.
Yeah, that's my idea - I'm in Brooklyn, NY, but am not contemplating high-flow cats. I live and drive around in a place with 6-story buildings 20 yards apart. Can't be TOO loud... Not a bad combo for ~$500, I'm thinking.

Now I just have to find a garage to keep her in. She's been on the street 2 nights now and (1) I'm freaking out a bit (nothing happened last night, knock on wood); and (2) I already have bird shlt on my window and hood and leaves all over. Ugh.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Old 5/27/05, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Well they are emissions legal,the compcats that is, they will pass an emissions test. Now if you live in a state where they look at numbers on catalytic converters, etc to pass then they probably wont. But if you are just going to an emissions place that tests for emissions, they will pass. Good luck