GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any new Cams

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by atomic_il@January 26, 2006, 10:10 PM
how soon is alot sooner? what all will you offer with it? What about price? (not looking for anything definite, just some figures)
yeah, do tell!!! I would love to get some along with a tune from you!!
Old 1/26/06, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by atomic_il@January 26, 2006, 11:10 PM
how soon is alot sooner? what all will you offer with it? What about price? (not looking for anything definite, just some figures)

Hey guys,

I'm still talking with my rep there and trying to figure out what all is needed with the kits. I've heard no springs and I've heard springs and retainers. Although he can't give me a set price yet he has said that they will be more expensive then the 2V cams. Beleive me I'll be sure and let everyone know when they are ready along with pricing.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 1/27/06, 05:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

THIS is good news....good news. Looks like I better plan a trip up to Birmingham! Do you need a guinea pig?
Old 1/27/06, 06:18 AM
V6 Member

I think the stage 1 series on the 2V were good for mabe 20-25 HP or so...if I remember correctly. I think most of the power in the 2Vs was up high on the tach (4000+), with not much going on down low. Are we looking at similar gains/rpm range on the 3V? I know it is probably too early to know, just curious.

Tilt
Old 1/27/06, 11:23 AM
FR500 Member

Doug, if you are going to have a kit with cams, as well as a tune to go with them... I need to start saving up now. This is good news.
Old 1/27/06, 11:24 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Tilt@January 27, 2006, 7:21 AM
I think the stage 1 series on the 2V were good for mabe 20-25 HP or so...if I remember correctly. I think most of the power in the 2Vs was up high on the tach (4000+), with not much going on down low. Are we looking at similar gains/rpm range on the 3V? I know it is probably too early to know, just curious.

Tilt
That is a good question. I don't know much about cams... I would have assumed they were good for low-end torque. But, if all the power is up high, I may need to look into other mods to get my goal of 350 RWHP n/a. I am definitely more into the low-end torque.
Old 1/27/06, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@January 27, 2006, 2:27 PM
That is a good question. I don't know much about cams... I would have assumed they were good for low-end torque. But, if all the power is up high, I may need to look into other mods to get my goal of 350 RWHP n/a. I am definitely more into the low-end torque.
You can buy a "towing" cam that generates low end torque, but most cams work by extending duration which moves the torque peak up in rpm, which increases high rpm hp. If you want 350 RWHP n/a out of 281 CID, then you definately need a good, high rpm cam.

The Boss Hog
Old 1/27/06, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Tell you what.... if a cam setup comes out and improves horsepower and torque on the lowdown, and lopes like a 3 legged horse, then I'm all in.
Old 1/27/06, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder why they told me that? I want those cams for the turbo that I am planning on. That really blows! My heads are getting done now. :bang: Hey Doug. What are the chances of you getting me a set sent to Boss330? :worship:
Old 1/27/06, 01:33 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@January 27, 2006, 1:20 PM
You can buy a "towing" cam that generates low end torque, but most cams work by extending duration which moves the torque peak up in rpm, which increases high rpm hp. If you want 350 RWHP n/a out of 281 CID, then you definately need a good, high rpm cam.

The Boss Hog
Thanks for the info. It looks like I may need to sacrafice low-end torque for more HP no matter what route I go trying to get to 350. The more I think about it, I do a good bit of interstate driving. So, high rpm hp isn't a bad thing at all.
Old 1/27/06, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@January 27, 2006, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the info. It looks like I may need to sacrafice low-end torque for more HP no matter what route I go trying to get to 350. The more I think about it, I do a good bit of interstate driving. So, high rpm hp isn't a bad thing at all.
If you include a set of 4.10's in your plan, then you will have all the low end you need. Besides, there is nothing like the feeling (and sound) of a small displacement V8 coming up on the cam and pushing you back in the seat.

The Boss Hog
Old 1/27/06, 02:30 PM
FR500 Member

That's true. I plan to get 4.10's anyway... so that should more than make up for low-end power. Should be a nice combo.
Old 1/27/06, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@January 27, 2006, 3:14 PM
If you include a set of 4.10's in your plan, then you will have all the low end you need. Besides, there is nothing like the feeling (and sound) of a small displacement V8 coming up on the cam and pushing you back in the seat.

The Boss Hog
That's my plan. I figure that the 4.10s will help down low(and throught the rpm range) and the cam will take car of the upper rpms. If I can get 30whp for the cam and custom tune, I will be happy. Should make my car a low 12s car, which ain't bad.
Old 1/27/06, 02:55 PM
FR500 Member

Now we just play the waiting game until a good cam comes out. I guess that will give me some time to save up the cash. Now, I know the BBR cams were like $900. What's the normal price for new cams... if you go a little higher than the ones for the 2V engines. And what are we talking about as far as installation? It it similar to gears... maybe $300-$400?
Old 1/27/06, 03:27 PM

There's going to be a bit of a difference in price between the BBR (regrinds) and the new ones (solids).
Old 1/27/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys,

More news, It's looks like it will be less then a month away, probably even sooner but they are just working out the pricing for now.

Now, I did get some basic tech info. The stock springs will only hold upto around 440 lift and every cam from Comp will be well starting around 480 and go up from there. This means they will all require new springs and retainers, stock locks can be used. They have all of this in stock and ready to ship with the cams.

They are going to have 4 part numbers for cams to begin with but that will be the off-the-shelf grinds. My grinds are something I've spoken with my cam tech there about and we've developed with our combined knowledge. Basically what I told him I want is a cam that works well throughout the RPM range but most importantly IF I add a supercharger I dont want to have to change it too. So a cam that works well N/A and Supercharged both. We have some numbers together and all I'm waiting on is a price.

Once they are released I will have a set installed on my car, if they come out in Febuary then they should be in by either the end of the month or possible after the first weekend of March, dont wanna tear into my car before the FFW opener.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 1/27/06, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

doug
are the new springs a beehive or standard spring? i know SHM is selling a beehive spring that i'm sure they don't make. i'm wondering if it is a comp cams spring?or if not would it work with the new cams? i sure hope comp makes them for the 3V. i would consider tearing in and installing in mine before the NMRA opener if they were availible by feb.
Old 1/29/06, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Doug904@January 27, 2006, 6:07 PM

Basically what I told him I want is a cam that works well throughout the RPM range but most importantly IF I add a supercharger I dont want to have to change it too. So a cam that works well N/A and Supercharged both. We have some numbers together and all I'm waiting on is a price.

Once they are released I will have a set installed on my car, if they come out in Febuary then they should be in by either the end of the month or possible after the first weekend of March, dont wanna tear into my car before the FFW opener.

Thanks, Doug.
I'm sold! If you need a guinea pig for a weekend, let me know! I intend to put a Whipple on top once they are out and have been run though a few tests also.
Old 1/29/06, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Doug904@January 27, 2006, 8:07 PM
Hey guys,

More news, It's looks like it will be less then a month away, probably even sooner but they are just working out the pricing for now.

Now, I did get some basic tech info. The stock springs will only hold upto around 440 lift and every cam from Comp will be well starting around 480 and go up from there. This means they will all require new springs and retainers, stock locks can be used. They have all of this in stock and ready to ship with the cams.

They are going to have 4 part numbers for cams to begin with but that will be the off-the-shelf grinds. My grinds are something I've spoken with my cam tech there about and we've developed with our combined knowledge. Basically what I told him I want is a cam that works well throughout the RPM range but most importantly IF I add a supercharger I dont want to have to change it too. So a cam that works well N/A and Supercharged both. We have some numbers together and all I'm waiting on is a price.

Thanks, Doug.
be sure to post a clip of this plz
Old 1/29/06, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by spyder7724@January 27, 2006, 8:51 PM
doug
are the new springs a beehive or standard spring? i know SHM is selling a beehive spring that i'm sure they don't make. i'm wondering if it is a comp cams spring?or if not would it work with the new cams? i sure hope comp makes them for the 3V. i would consider tearing in and installing in mine before the NMRA opener if they were availible by feb.

According to my guy at Comp the springs are the same as the 2V, just there are 24 of them now instead of 16. They do have them in stock and priced so if you need a quote just let me know on that end. If you get the Comp springs you'll also need the retainers, I can sell it all to you.

Thanks Doug

Quick Reply: Any new Cams