GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another Hurst Shifter install question.....

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/05, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing the stock shifter and the Hurst side-by-side like that in the pic, they look almost the same. That's surprising, because in previous model years, the aftermarket shifters always looked (and were) a lot beefier than the stock shifters. Especially the billet aluminum shifters.

But I did dry-shift the Hurst in Davids2Toys' GT, and it definitely felt a lot firmer, and the throw was half as long as stock.

Just by looking though, there's not much difference.
Old 9/14/05, 09:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wjones14@September 13, 2005, 6:09 PM
Seeing the stock shifter and the Hurst side-by-side like that in the pic, they look almost the same. That's surprising, because in previous model years, the aftermarket shifters always looked (and were) a lot beefier than the stock shifters. Especially the billet aluminum shifters.

But I did dry-shift the Hurst in Davids2Toys' GT, and it definitely felt a lot firmer, and the throw was half as long as stock.

Just by looking though, there's not much difference.
Hey Bill, you should have taken me up on my offer to drive it, then you would have really undererstood this shifterthatr the words cannot descibe!
Old 9/15/05, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I installed mine last night. I was able to get it in from the top. Hardest part for me was getting the bolt in the front back in. It is amazing how much different it is. I really thought looking at the 2 of them before I installed the Hurst that it wouldn't do anything to change the shifting. Boy, I was I wrong. I only had 1 front metal bushing. Still too early to really say how much I like it, but so far it is good.
Old 9/24/05, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@September 15, 2005, 10:34 AM
I installed mine last night. I was able to get it in from the top. Hardest part for me was getting the bolt in the front back in. It is amazing how much different it is. I really thought looking at the 2 of them before I installed the Hurst that it wouldn't do anything to change the shifting. Boy, I was I wrong. I only had 1 front metal bushing. Still too early to really say how much I like it, but so far it is good.
I'm the same way, I like it so far, but it's going to take getting used to. It takes a little more effort, and is a little louder while shifting.

But has a lot less play, no 2-3 lockout, sets the shift **** higher, and much firmer/more positive shifts.
Old 9/24/05, 04:57 PM
V6 Member

Well, I'm going to say my closing piece about the Hurst unit after more than a month now:

First, Ive noticed it's loosened up a bit, and since I installed mine when the car was still really new (less than two weeks) this could be the result of the trans and entire remote shifter assembly and the Hurst all "breaking in" together. Or, I'm just getting wayyy used to it, which is fine with me!

Second, my buddy at work who has a REALLY NICE machine, a built Triumph TR-6 with a stroked 351 Windsor and 4-speed toploader trans with Hurst shifter, was kind enough to check it our for me. I trust this guy's opinion fully, he's certainly no slouch when it comes to knowing, building and driving some nice cars. His reaction was "You should be very pleased - feels better than the setup in my car!".

AND, lastly, overall, I AM extremely pleased with it. No offense meant to anyone who still has the stock unit, but when I look at pictures of the stock shifter and think of having that sloppy, stubby, long-throw thing in my car I feel physically naseous. I wouldn't go back for the world - it really does fit the car & suits the driving style perfectly in my opinion. The stock shifter is great for when the wife wants to take the car to the grocery store, and that's about it.

Just wanted to say that, since I feel a little responsible for second-guessing it and maybe giving it a bad rap here at first.

Bottom line is, No regrets on having gone with it!!

Old 9/25/05, 03:36 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I too love my shifter. I installed it Friday night! It went without a hitch!
Old 9/25/05, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Stoopy@September 24, 2005, 5:00 PM
Well, I'm going to say my closing piece about the Hurst unit after more than a month now:

First, Ive noticed it's loosened up a bit, and since I installed mine when the car was still really new (less than two weeks) this could be the result of the trans and entire remote shifter assembly and the Hurst all "breaking in" together. Or, I'm just getting wayyy used to it, which is fine with me!

Second, my buddy at work who has a REALLY NICE machine, a built Triumph TR-6 with a stroked 351 Windsor and 4-speed toploader trans with Hurst shifter, was kind enough to check it our for me. I trust this guy's opinion fully, he's certainly no slouch when it comes to knowing, building and driving some nice cars. His reaction was "You should be very pleased - feels better than the setup in my car!".

AND, lastly, overall, I AM extremely pleased with it. No offense meant to anyone who still has the stock unit, but when I look at pictures of the stock shifter and think of having that sloppy, stubby, long-throw thing in my car I feel physically naseous. I wouldn't go back for the world - it really does fit the car & suits the driving style perfectly in my opinion. The stock shifter is great for when the wife wants to take the car to the grocery store, and that's about it.

Just wanted to say that, since I feel a little responsible for second-guessing it and maybe giving it a bad rap here at first.

Bottom line is, No regrets on having gone with it!!

I agree with all that you have said..............well said
Old 10/18/05, 04:46 PM
GT Member

I just found this thread, and since I'm getting my shifter tomorrow (not sure when I'll have time to install it), I'm glad to see this whole discussion resolved and the positive responses about the shifter.

My question to anyone who happens to see it is a really simple one... when they say to lube up various parts of the shifter... what do you use? I saw a joking reference to KY... at least I think it was a joke Do I just go to Autozone and ask for "lube?" Maybe I could go into Walmart and ask them if they have any larger containers of Astroglide, just for the funny looks...
Old 10/18/05, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

I'm the proud owner of a new 2005 white performance GT convertible myself. Got it two weeks before Katrina as I live just west of New Orleans. Only 500 miles on her and things are slowly getting normal around here. I have a Hurst white ball shifter on order too; supposed to get here on Thursday. One of my first mods.

This forum has been really helpful and informative as far as preparations to do mods. I bought some Rhino ramps and a 10 mm deep socket.

I had a similar question about what type of lubrication to use. Didn't see a recommendation on the online installation guide that Hurst has on the web. I'm thinking white lithium grease? I've used it before on door hinges and other moving parts with success because it tends to last a long time.

Anyways, any input from others would be much appreciated.
Old 10/18/05, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

I used some white lubricant/grease that Loewe's sells, got it when I went to get the deep 10mm socket. Seems to work very well!

Getchya some locktite as well, instructions call for it. Use sparingly.
Old 10/18/05, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I used Hurst shifty Dr grease that is about 30 years old.This is not a typo, that is really what hurst calls it
Old 10/18/05, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Stoopy and Dave. Yep got some Loctite on the things to get list too.

This is the third mustang that I have owned and definately the best. I installed a Hurst in my '94 GT vert and man do I miss having a Hurst. The stock shifter on the '05 is about the only thing I really dislike about the stock car.
Old 10/19/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do the Steeda Urethane bushings work with the Hurst Shifter?
Old 10/19/05, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

The November issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords has a nice article on installing this Hurst shifter. Not much different than what has been posted here, but there is a clear picture of the guy doing every installation step. Probably over 10 pictures in all.

Wouldn't hurt to have that issue, as well as printouts from this forum, in addition to the Hurst instructions, before actually starting the installation.
Old 10/19/05, 02:49 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by wjones14@October 19, 2005, 11:40 AM
The November issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords has a nice article on installing this Hurst shifter. Not much different than what has been posted here, but there is a clear picture of the guy doing every installation step. Probably over 10 pictures in all.

Wouldn't hurt to have that issue, as well as printouts from this forum, in addition to the Hurst instructions, before actually starting the installation.
I couldn't agree with you more. That is how I plan to do the install... get as much information as I can, up front. This forum has caused me to spend WAY more money than I would have on the car, but it has also made me even happier with it. Also, I've gotten problems solved and great answers on everything from all the great guys (this being the gender-neutral form of "guys" ) on this forum.
Old 10/20/05, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by wsmatau@October 19, 2005, 10:21 AM
Do the Steeda Urethane bushings work with the Hurst Shifter?
You absolutely do NOT need them, trust me on this!
Old 10/20/05, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@October 20, 2005, 6:24 PM
You absolutely do NOT need them, trust me on this!
What he said.
Old 10/21/05, 07:00 PM
V6 Member

Well I got the Hurst installed today. I asked my neighbor to check me out driving up the ramps and he decided to help me out with the entire process.

That front 10 mm bolt was a PITA. The two 10 mm bolts were a breeze with the deep 10 mm socket and the 3/8 drive extension. Most definitely helps to have another person help guide the shifter in and out. I was able to pull out the stock shifter and install the Hurst all from the top with just removal of the bracket mount (the two 10 mm bolt bracket).

I had the two plastic bushings and one metal sleeve. I noticed some white grease on the two plastic bushings so I used the white lithium grease on the inside of these bushings (light application).

My hands are all scratched up showing some minor battle wounds although I didn't feel a thing while I was working on the car.

I can definitely say that it feels different from the Hurst I had in my '94 GT. Definitely feels very solid and I find mine "notchy" putting it into first gear. Definitely takes some extra effort compared to stock. I tightened the 13 mm nut until it was snug and then maybe another 1/8 of a turn and used Locktite.

For those of you that have had it in for a while is it breaking in any better?
Old 10/21/05, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

Yes, I have to say mine is breaking in and you should expect it to as well I think.

The tinkerer / troublemaker in me has been wondering about trying thestock rubber bushings in place of the hard ployurethane ones, just for kicks to see what difference itwould make, but to be honest it's broken in and I've adapted to it so well, I would only do this on a day I was very very bored!
Old 10/21/05, 10:43 PM
V6 Member

That's great to hear Stoopy. I couldn't resist and had to go drive the car again around town for another 30 minutes after I posted. Its definitely growing on me. If it gets any better that would be just additional positives.

No vibration problems or noticeable heat coming in from the trans area either.

Like anything, its just "different" right now but the short throw is just awesome.

Quick Reply: Another Hurst Shifter install question.....