GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

All this talk of cold air intakes....

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/06, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this talk of cold air intakes....

Honestly I feel that all of the intakes on the market are not true cold air intakes. I mean all of them are right next to the engine not recieving any real cold air. I wish there was a way like the previous generation where the cold air kits went into the fender and took cold air right by the fog lights. Anyone else thinking the same thing? Also if there was a way to do this there would be no need for a heat shield.
Your thoughts Below....
Old 8/24/06, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ice4582
I mean all of them are right next to the engine not recieving any real cold air.
Not all of them.

Old 8/24/06, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Homemade? It'd work better on my Steeda grill - I have big openings on either side at the bottom of it.......it actually allow ALOT of air up under the hood so I had to install pins to get rid of the shake at 70 Mph.
Old 8/24/06, 06:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Good inovation, wish we could get more "cool" air to ours.
Old 8/24/06, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

'Cold Air' is a bunch of hot air.
Old 8/24/06, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool not true

read my thread bout the w m s cai and my ram air hood
Old 8/24/06, 12:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I think with most of the new CAI it is actually more about moving more air than just adding cold air. A less restrictive flow, bigger pipe, etc. Even on my old 289, I had a 360 air cleaner.....it sucked in hot air, but just more of it. Of course I could hear it sucking in the air when you opened up the 4 barrell holley.

I wonder why we cannot have a hood like the one with the transam of late with the cold air intake connected to the nose of the hood. I saw it on horsepower tv.....the red camero, they used a SLP intake I think. It was attached to the ram air in the nose.
Old 8/24/06, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, when ambient temp here is 105 and that's before the "road heat" and engine heat under the hood, I don't think there is any "cold" air. Just slightly cooler then what's trapped under the hood.
Old 8/24/06, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by afcop13
Homemade? It'd work better on my Steeda grill - I have big openings on either side at the bottom of it.......it actually allow ALOT of air up under the hood so I had to install pins to get rid of the shake at 70 Mph.
That is the CAI that comes with the Kenne Bell supercharger.
Old 8/24/06, 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Having it low risks getting all kinds of debris in it ..right
Old 8/24/06, 10:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oct issue of MM&FF has a performance test of 3 cold air kits,
With the stock air intake the intake air temp was 93F
AEM Brute Force with no tune, IAT was 89F
Western Motor Sports IAT was 77F
They tested the Steeda HIgh Velocity, but failed to note the IAT.
also to note The WMS posted the best time in the worst Density Altitude (combination of ambient temp, humidity and barometric pressure) of the day at 13.694@98.48
Otherwise stock auto car with 20 inch wheels.
SO they do lower the intake air temp. Just food for thought, many of the folks on here who installed WMS cold air, insulated the intake raditor cover, which I am sure would lower the intake air temp even more.
Old 8/24/06, 11:34 PM

thats what I'm talking about....I would like to see this as a production product, The WMS intake with the california hood would be nice but that is just not practical enough money wise.
Old 8/25/06, 03:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
Oct issue of MM&FF has a performance test of 3 cold air kits,
With the stock air intake the intake air temp was 93F
AEM Brute Force with no tune, IAT was 89F
Western Motor Sports IAT was 77F
They tested the Steeda HIgh Velocity, but failed to note the IAT.
also to note The WMS posted the best time in the worst Density Altitude (combination of ambient temp, humidity and barometric pressure) of the day at 13.694@98.48
Otherwise stock auto car with 20 inch wheels.
SO they do lower the intake air temp. Just food for thought, many of the folks on here who installed WMS cold air, insulated the intake raditor cover, which I am sure would lower the intake air temp even more.
What truly surprised me was the minimal gains they got with these cai's as far as time and speed. For the additional hp they generate it only translates to a few mph and a few tenths of a second in the 1/4mi. I know 10ths of seconds are everything in racing but I would have thought the C&L & tune would do better than 4mph faster and 5 tenths of a second than stock. Very interesting, worth reading for anyone who has one of these cai systems.
Old 8/25/06, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by icemant180
What truly surprised me was the minimal gains they got with these cai's as far as time and speed. For the additional hp they generate it only translates to a few mph and a few tenths of a second in the 1/4mi. I know 10ths of seconds are everything in racing but I would have thought the C&L & tune would do better than 4mph faster and 5 tenths of a second than stock. Very interesting, worth reading for anyone who has one of these cai systems.
Keep in mind the times for the cais were NOT corrected to the DA of the stock run, and the WMS was running a "canned tune".
Old 8/25/06, 01:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

yea those pics were of the Kenne Bell CAI. i have it as well. last niht wgas torrential rains and a bit of flooding here where i live and i got caught in it with the mustang. i was scared as well with the filter not only being so low, but even closer to the ground because im lowered. it didnt even get wet, not a drop of water on it. my instal lwas over 5 months ago and the filter looks brand new. the filter on my old C&L CAI was dirty and black looking after only a few weeks. there is no debris or water issues at all with the Kenne Bell CAI. remember the front bumper covers the filter, the splash guard underneath also deflects water and debris. the filter is pretty well protected.
Old 8/25/06, 01:33 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally Posted by icemant180
Iceman, 5 tenth's of a second is a lot in drag racing. I believe each tenth of a second picked up is roughly 10HP. Don and the other drag racing guru's will have to elaborate.

As for the CAI's. I agree that they are not a "true" cold air kit. The biggest advantage is increased airflow. A hood in the guise of a '68GT500 with a WMS air tray would probably be very functional.

Maybe i'll go ricer and pull out the driver's side headlight next time I go to the track
Old 8/25/06, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Iceman, 5 tenth's of a second is a lot in drag racing.
+1 to that!! Many of us will spend much, much more than the cost of a CAI to gain even 2 or 3 tenths of second. Every tenth counts when you're wanting to go quick.

Unless someone has driven a car that runs 11s (or quicker), you really can't appreciate what a difference there is for every second quicker you go. Remember, if you're running 13.50 in the 1/4, and your opponent is running 11.50, you will be the loser by almost 300 feet at the finish line. That's a whole football field behind!!
Old 12/4/06, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW I am not impressed by many of the cold air intake kits on the market. The WMS is very unique and ingenius, but it requires quite a lot more time to install properly.

What I would have liked to see are Ford OEM-quality low-restriction air intakes. Larger boxes, with larger MAF sensors, custom elbow inlets, and paper panel filters for maximum versatility and filtration efficiency. Looking at the stock MAF transfer function, I can see why almost any cold air kit will give you "noticeable" gains and its not just because of the bling bling conical filter. The stock MAF is, dare I say, "anemic" for such a powerful engine compared to some of the older 80mm/90mm factory Ford MAFs used for other vehicles (Marauder, Lightning).
Old 12/4/06, 10:12 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Cold air or not, the JLT has the highest power gains out of all of them, hands down. Any magazine will tell you that.
Old 12/4/06, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
Cold air or not, the JLT has the highest power gains out of all of them, hands down. Any magazine will tell you that.