GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the perfect thread to ask a stupid question, since I'm a old school guy who has never done anything with a car computer. If the only mod I will probably ever do is add a K&N air filter and take out the carbon trap, DO I NEED TO DO A FLASH?
Old 2/6/05, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could probably get away running it like that, but if you want it to run better and have piece of mind knowing the computer is set properly for your mods get it tuned. You will see a performance increase.
Old 2/6/05, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK so I need to buy a tuner to do this or can I take it to a SCT shop and how much will they charge?
Old 2/6/05, 03:55 PM
FR500 Member

Either run without the HC trap or run with a K&N, but if you do both, I agree it would be prudent to go with a tune.
Old 2/7/05, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Rich@February 6, 2005, 4:58 PM
OK so I need to buy a tuner to do this or can I take it to a SCT shop and how much will they charge?

Rich - good question and hard to come by a definitive answer....the best I can figure is that you talk with SCT about your specific mods B4 they set your tune in the Xcalibrator then you reflash it yourself....I've asked several times about the necessity to then have to take it in to a Tuner shop for a dyno etc. - and have not really had a clear answer - some folks say no need - yet others are saying each engine is unique and to take it to a Dyno shop for custom tuning......

I'm probably going to end up with a CAI / SCTXcalibrator set up and would probably run w/o getting a custom Tune at a Dyno shop......however, if I did more mods like underdrive pullys, "X" pipe, larger T.B (when available) - I'd plan on getting the engine custom tuned......just my .02 worth....anyone else care to add "real life" dyno experience.
Old 2/7/05, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

lower gears are a surefire way to take beter advantage of the power you allready have, thats old school
Old 2/8/05, 08:49 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my experience (installed MMR intake but did not flash the cpu for close to a month afterwards) after installing the MMR intake I lost hp and gas mileage. Engine light came on as soon as I stomped on it and stayed on until I flashed the CPU. After flashing the CPU there was a noticable HP increase and my gas mileage increased by 4mpg.

Even manfacturers that stated their filters did not require a tune have come back to say "yes, in order to take full advantage of the air filter you need a tune"

Basically if you don't plan on getting your cpu flashed, don't replace your air filter.
Old 2/8/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 8, 2005, 7:52 AM
From my experience (installed MMR intake but did not flash the cpu for close to a month afterwards) after installing the MMR intake I lost hp and gas mileage. Engine light came on as soon as I stomped on it and stayed on until I flashed the CPU. After flashing the CPU there was a noticable HP increase and my gas mileage increased by 4mpg.

Even manfacturers that stated their filters did not require a tune have come back to say "yes, in order to take full advantage of the air filter you need a tune"

Basically if you don't plan on getting your cpu flashed, don't replace your air filter.
I had same experience. Must tell the car that growing pains are okay (electronically)!!! Or it will freak out. Just like raising kids.
Old 2/8/05, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just got April's 5.0 Magazine:

" averaging our three runs and comparing them to the baseline, removing the trap cost a hair of power. If anything is clear, it is the hydrocarbon trap barely hinders airflow at stock power levels."

I just put mine back in ...
Old 3/4/05, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 8, 2005, 9:52 AM

Adrenalin: Thanks for your input on this. I did a search for K&N air filters, as I am thinking about putting one in (I have to order it as none of the parts places locally have it in stock). Wanted to check with you experts (I am no mechanic) before I order.

Is this the general consensus---that if you are not going to reflash don't change your air filter?

How much would a tune / flash cost? And where? The dealer? Or a custom engine shop?

If the parts places don't have the K&N replacement air filter yet, will non-dealer engine shops have the info to perform the tune / flash?

I am just talking about installing the K&N air filter, not removing the HC trap.

Please advise this novice. Thanks.
Old 3/4/05, 10:16 AM
FR500 Member

I've got the K&N filter. I've recently put the H-Trap back in and I've gained a little mpg over stock. You should be fine with just the K&N by itself. You'll need a tune if you take the H-trap out combined with the K&N.