GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

aftermarket fog lamp wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/08, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aftermarket fog lamp wiring question

I'd like to add some true foglamps in the lower grill area of the GT... and keep the existing stock driving lamps in upper grill. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to wiring in additional fog lamps. Ideally (not sure if load is excessive), I'd like to tap into the existing driving light wiring, so new lower fog lamps will come on with the stock upper driving lights; however, this might overload that circuit. Other option is to run the new lower fog lamps on a separate circuit and switch... but I have no idea where I could tap in for this. Anyone know if either of these options would work.. and if so, how I would go about wiring up option #2? Thx
Old 1/8/08, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would be better off running a separate fused power feed from the BEC and then use relays to turn on/off your fog lights. You can type into the stock fog lights to get your relay control signal.

The relay control signal won't pull much current at all from the factory fog light harness, so you don't have to worry about overloading and overheating the harness, but you would still get to use the factory fog light switch to control everything.

Needless to say, you really don't want to double the number of bulbs (and the current draw) that is powered by (not controlled by, but POWERED by) the factory harness without rewiring it with larger gauge wire. They just don't build in that much extra capacity into the wiring these days. Copper costs too much and it weighs too much. And once you get into rewiring the factory harness, it becomes MUCH easier to just run your own power feed and call it good.