GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

aftermarket brake clearence

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/07, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket brake clearence

Does anyone know if a big brake kit for the 05-07 mustangs sticks out further than the stocks in the rear? Because I plan on upgrading the brakes in the future but my rear wheels just barely clear the stock brakes in the rear, and that's with a 3mm spacer.
Old 7/31/07, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think some kits like the 14" Baer +1 kit that moves the stock caliper out further would have the same clearance, as long as the wheels don't taper inward at the end of the spokes. What kind of BBK are you doing on the rear?
Old 7/31/07, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

hi joker...

this is a problem area in terms of mustangs. stock wheels will not fit larger breaks.

and VERY few aftermarket wheels will allow larger brakes too.

you really need to do careful research here. typically wheels with a deep LIP will not allow anything but stock brakes.

if you keep your stock wheels, spacers are the only option..

good luck!
Old 8/1/07, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Most brake suppliers offer templates for their kits (just make sure the copy you use is to the right scale). If the template clears with more than .1 or .2 MM then you are probably ok. Less than that you may want to contact the supplier for additional information or a test fit.

As an example for the fronts...I looked into BAER but funding is not currently available to pull the trigger. The BAER Eradispeed Plus Two fronts (14 inch two piece rotor and stock caliper with a relocation bracket) will fit my stock 18 inch Fanblades with room to spare but they will not fit my spare set of take-off 17 inch Bullets.

Also, the BAER 14 inch Extreme kit (14 inch two piece rotor and new BAER Caliper) is very close to fitting the 18 inch fan blades but might need a slight spacer to be sure to clear the spokes. Interestingly, the 13.5 inch Extreeme kit will NOT fit the 18 inch Fanblades as it hits the spokes in a big way (the 14 inch kit moves the rotor out farther to clear the centerward (if that is a word) spokes).

Good luck!
Old 8/1/07, 10:22 AM
GT Member

just get GT500 wheels then you can fit the brembo's You should be able to get an 18x9 that would fit the bigger brake kits w/o to much trouble but that does get expensive.

mot250: The extreme kit is the same as what they call the GT Plus kit on thier site? If not you might want to try a fit test on that set. I'm gonna call and have them send me a couple different templates so I am sure to get the right scale, not to mention my printer wont handle the size.
Old 8/2/07, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
just get GT500 wheels then you can fit the brembo's You should be able to get an 18x9 that would fit the bigger brake kits w/o to much trouble but that does get expensive.

mot250: The extreme kit is the same as what they call the GT Plus kit on thier site? If not you might want to try a fit test on that set. I'm gonna call and have them send me a couple different templates so I am sure to get the right scale, not to mention my printer wont handle the size.
Mike,
The Extreme kit is different from the GT Plus kit and the GT Plus template did not fit my factory fanblades.

I downloaded their templates from their site but the size was wrong. I was able to enlarge the image to 106% on a copy machine to get the correct scale.
Old 8/2/07, 12:33 PM
GT Member

hmm in that case I'll have to go with just rotors and the stock calipers as I'd prefer not to use spacers. Maybe I'll do front and back rotors which wont help much but a little. That combined with pads and ss lines should improve my brakes significantly.