GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

400RWHP N/A is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/06, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
I've seen 400hp from a GM 4 cyl so with twice as many cylinders and more technology, it's very easy. It's all in the heads. If you can't get enough flow through the intake runners, find a way to get some different heads on there. If someone felt like it they could probably get 500hp from a 4.6. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know about motors, period.
Everytime you type, you lose credibility and I doubt your knowledge even more. Good luck on the 500 from a 4.6.
Old 7/18/06, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
Bro, if you want an article in MM&FF, you can have it. It's not always b/c someone has some awesome product. All it takes is $$$$$. Second, BBR originally advertised some rediculous numbers. They now advertise something totally different. Why??? Because it was too much BS for anyone to swallow. It was too unbelievable...everyone knew it, they knew it.
It's going to be difficult to hit 400 N/A and alot of JACK! The other side is driveability. The more HP you have N/A, the less tolerable it is on the street.
Read my post man. I said I wanted some 3rd party dynos, aka, take MM&FF articles with a grain of salt. I don't know how I could have been more clear on that.
Old 7/18/06, 09:24 PM
Cam Tease

169stang, I know you usually know your stuff, but I don't see anything false in Bullit995's post. All it takes is RPM, race gas, and compression ratio (and of course, amazingly flowing heads). A 4.6 or even a motor of less displacement could easily make 500 N/A hp.

Granted you were probably speaking of the 4.6 in the Mustang specifically, which won't easily see more than 350 atmospheric ponies at the wheels.
Old 7/18/06, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen 400hp from a GM 4 cyl so with twice as many cylinders and more technology, it's very easy. It's all in the heads. If you can't get enough flow through the intake runners, find a way to get some different heads on there. If someone felt like it they could probably get 500hp from a 4.6. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know about motors, period.
and your comments cry ignorance about modular motors. Perhaps you should have a few words with Al @ Boss330 concerning the requirements to get that much power NA out of a 4.6.

-Dan
Old 7/18/06, 10:45 PM

This is an S197 section. That's, obviously, what's at subject. Until someone gets away from the stock block or heads, I doubt you'll see 400 or more. I'll take the word of Boss 330, who builds them all day long, over anyones speculation. Hence Don's post! Take a look at this article: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...p_051100_shot/
Al won that shootout. 2nd, 3rd Place were won by people with motors built by Al. His car can run into the 9's-N/A. It's street legal, but not very comfy. He also has a Ford GT block (a cool $3K bare), Navigator heads, and it's a 4 valve. A LOT of work into that motor. 3 times what 99% of the majority would spend on a motor.
Al built my motor, but for turbo application. He's built a few N/A 3V motors. Good money spent, awesome work, but not 400 rwhp. Cammed, great/light internals, etc. Stock intake (as opposed to a sheetmetal intake), and all the typical bolt ons. I do know, b/c I've seen him do it. Still not 400.
Sure, maybe someone will put a carb on and stroke it, but it won't last too long. Too short of cylinder walls. I've seen BRAND NEW custom CP pistons out of a stroked motor that lasted about a year. They scuff real bad trying to get back into the cylinder and wear out the pins. If you stroke, just don't expect it to last forever. The carb will just create unfavorable driveability issues. Boss 330 Racing puts out one of the best Port and polish/valvetrain jobs in the country. He brings this knowledge with him from his NHRA Pro Stock bike days. You don't win championships by not knowing what you're doing!
Texas toast....I did read your post...man. My point is that just because someone has "found their way into MM&FF" doesn't mean it fact or the bible. At the same time, I was shedding light on that whole BS numbers scenario. I was here when it happened, and I know those guys, personally! So, you can take it as info, or you can get caught up thinking I'm attacking you. Relax.
I'm no motor builder and am not in the industry at all. I just learn from quite a few people that know what they're doing.
Old 7/18/06, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think 400 rwhp is achievable with a fairly radical setup. It just depends on how much the individual is willing to spend. Hell I bet if you poured tons of money into this engine and built one off custom parts more power would easily be achievable than 400 to the rears.
Old 7/19/06, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

And I see 800hp N/A from 355 CID V8s every weekend. So what? Let me know when you easily get a streetable 400hp N/A from your GT. I will be the first to tell you that you were right. Until then, talk is cheap . . .

The Boss Hog
Old 7/19/06, 05:49 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now we're all just speculating

I'm sure that 400HP at the wheels is possible with the 4.6... I believe the tradeoff is the motor won't be very streetable. (we can all agree i'm sure)

Credibility can be a big problem in the car mags, most tech articles only really try to sell products. I base any purchases on what I read on forums, you can get real-world, honest opinions on who is good, and who is b.s.
Old 7/19/06, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

Remember 400 at the wheels is about 460 at the crank... I've got heads (livernois ported) stock cams and valvetrain, shorty headers... just read the list... the point is that without spending some SERIOUS money you won't get there. I am a big N/A guy (all throttle no bottle!!!) but after spending about $5k on my engine and getting a healthy 350 at the crank (293 at the wheels) I wondered if I picked the right choice. So with that being said, S/C (I'm a roots fan) is the way to get there. You can do it without killing the motor. And you are there when you get into the loud pedal, otherwise it runs "stock" If you decided you still wanted to run 400 N/A it wouldn't be very streatable. It would have a rough idle thanks to the cam and compression and most likely not run on Pump gas... Just some words of wisdom from someone who..... has a "professional" opinion.
Old 7/20/06, 01:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
haven't seen too many guys get up much over 320 rwhp N/A on the stock motor.
because most folks don't do much more than intake, exhaust and tune. And I know why! Look at how expensive these cars are to mod? $300 for an intake and filter? $400 for mufflers? $1200 for CAMS!? holy hell, camshaft for my old camaro cost me a 20 spot less than $100! A pair of flowmasters cost me $85, and an air filter and cork/aluminum heat shield the carb cost $50, the entire intake manifold didn't cost me more than $300. These darn computerized cars are just to expensive for the average joe!

With the proper intake manifold, heads and cam configuration, you surely could break 400 to the wheels. It's probably going to cost you through the roof to do it though. I'm not even sure if mass produced 'direct fit' performance heads and intake manifolds are available for our cars yet, it would probably have to be custom machined, or just ported/polished stockers.

You could probably get 600 N/A our of our engines (beefed up though!), depends on how big you want to go, how much you have to spend, and how streetable you want it. For more power, you need air, presure, spark, fuel, and a proper tune. well... and stronger parts I have always said, you could make a lawnmower go faster than a ferrari... but it's going to cost ya.
Old 7/20/06, 06:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a few people need to read the forum rules again. Play nice boys. If you have an issue with another member, use the PM feature.
Old 7/20/06, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I think a few people need to read the forum rules again. Play nice boys. If you have an issue with another member, use the PM feature.
Whens the deletion coming?
Old 7/20/06, 09:45 AM
Cam Tease

Originally Posted by 169stang
Until someone gets away from the stock block or heads, I doubt you'll see 400 or more.

The block can take 400hp, and in the post I defended the guy said "It's all in the heads. If you can't get enough flow through the intake runners, find a way to get some different heads on there."

In response to the ever popular Boss330 name drop (just kidding, I know they kick ***), if Al were going for merely the number of 400 peak horsepower, and let area under the curve and torque go to hell, I'm sure he could.

The question is a rather pointless one--"can [blank number indicating nothing more than a measurement] be acheived on the dyno [given these contraints] ?", so I'm giving it a rather pointless answer.

Yes, one could get 400 rwhp out of the 4.6, but it would likely suffer in the 1/4 compared to a motor designed without an arbitrary "measurement" in mind.
Old 7/20/06, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I know a sure fire way to stop this flame war: redirect the flames to myself!

I say the easiest way to get over 400 HP NA is to take out that 4.6L and drop in a REAL motor: 6.0L LS2

On a more serious note though, the LS2 is a beatuiful motor, and while it may be GM, I would be shy to show off one of those in my car. I'd love to get my hands on a Solstice with a LS2 wedged in it...
Old 7/20/06, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

DIAF
Old 7/20/06, 09:31 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, truer words have never been spoken WarBird. The Mustang isn't sacred and the LS2 is the stuff of legends, I would love to see that swap.
Old 7/20/06, 11:54 PM
Cobra R Member

well no one said anything about streetable. If you dont think you can get 400 hp out of a 4.6 with lots of money, go back to school, cause you got some learning to do. Not being mean, but hey where theres a will and a pocket book there is a way. I am not saying this motor would last a long time, or be very dependable. But it definitely is possible. Journeyman mechanic for almost 10 years, and have seen lots of n/a modded engines. cranks, cams, and everything else already stated can get you there. But why would you. Good luck to those that want to spend that money on n/a. I personally would go with the turbo first/ supercharger second, but too each his own pocket book.
Old 7/21/06, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
well no one said anything about streetable. If you dont think you can get 400 hp out of a 4.6 with lots of money, go back to school, cause you got some learning to do. Not being mean, but hey where theres a will and a pocket book there is a way. I am not saying this motor would last a long time, or be very dependable. But it definitely is possible. Journeyman mechanic for almost 10 years, and have seen lots of n/a modded engines. cranks, cams, and everything else already stated can get you there. But why would you. Good luck to those that want to spend that money on n/a. I personally would go with the turbo first/ supercharger second, but too each his own pocket book.
Glad to see that you are " not being mean", but if you can't understand that the original poster was not talking about making his new Mustang into a trailer queen, then maybe you need to "go back to school, cause you got some learning to do."

The BossHog . . . not being mean
Old 7/21/06, 02:15 PM
Cam Tease

Where in the orignal post did the guy ask about anything other than achieving 400hp? Oh, nowhere. Sure Sodaman was being a smart***, but he answered the guys question correctly enough.
Old 7/21/06, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

How about 384 RWHP N/A ...close enough? That's the highest I've seen so far. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=221006

Quick Reply: 400RWHP N/A is it possible?