GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

3 more days brothers and sisters!

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I can't wait! I'm not sure what I am looking forward to the most: more power (always a GOOD THING) or much better throttle response. I guess I am looking forward the package arriving most at this point!

On a side note, has anyone color sanded their car yet? If so, how did it turn out? Anything to look out for? I am really starting to lean towards a good sand/buff/polish with my car...
Old 2/7/06, 07:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, take pics and do a good write up of the install if you don;t mind, it would be good to see how the JLT fits.

Second, why on earth would anyone want to sand anything on the paint? CLAYBAR....

-Darth

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 08:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 6, 2006, 10:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Man I can't wait! I'm not sure what I am looking forward to the most: more power (always a GOOD THING) or much better throttle response. I guess I am looking forward the package arriving most at this point!

On a side note, has anyone color sanded their car yet? If so, how did it turn out? Anything to look out for? I am really starting to lean towards a good sand/buff/polish with my car...
[/b][/quote]

My combo will be ordered next week as well!

Now I just need to get to a local shop and get some baseline numbers for the car (once I get it broken in and the oild changed) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Keep us posted on your impressions!

-Matt
Old 2/7/06, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

My c&l should be heading to FL soon to get powder coated than to me with my bammachips tunes as well. I cant wait either....
Old 2/8/06, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Stang @ February 7, 2006, 8:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
First, take pics and do a good write up of the install if you don;t mind, it would be good to see how the JLT fits.

Second, why on earth would anyone want to sand anything on the paint? CLAYBAR....

-Darth

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I'll try to get a good write-up done. It will be hard though as I REALLY want to get it all done and out on the road to see how it rips!

As for why color sand, it's pretty simple. Go look at your factory paint. See that nice, rough texture? It's call "Orange Peal". Due to EPA regulations on what can go into paint, it simply isn't possible to lay down a perfectly smooth coat of paint with modern paints. They just don't flow out. So, the only way to get a FLAT and MIRROR like finish is to sand out the orange peal with super fine sand paper (1500 grit or so), then polish the paint back to a super flat, super shiny, mirror like finish. It's a lot of work, but LORD you won't believe the difference in how the paint looks when it is done!

That claybar will ONLY remove loose particles from the paint's surface. It can't touch the orange peal nor can it take out any "junk" embedded in the paint's surface. For that, you have to sand. Lightly...

I only have a couple of concerns on color sanding my car: 1) Is the factory clear coat thick enough to safely sand out the orange peal without getting into the color coat. It should be... 2) This car has a lot of edges and angles that will make sanding it out difficult and time consuming. I just wandered if anyone else has done it and what the results were.
Old 2/9/06, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

I think the color sanding question has been answered for me. I just found a large chip in the paint on the door at the edge. I have NO idea how it go there, but it definitely looks like I had to open the door into something. But I SURE don't remember doing it! Probably blocking the memory because I can't deal with it....

Time for touch up paint and sanding later this spring.