GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

3,000 mile schedule?? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06 | 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

3,000 mile schedule?? Should I?

So if i remember correctly, my dealer said to come in at 3,000 miles or December 4th, which ever comes first. I just noticed this morning that I am long overdue. (hey what can I say it's a brand new car and it has to be seen on the road!) So how important is it to meet before or just after the first 3,000 miles? Should I go in early? Or just wait the week til my appointment?

Sorry if this is dumb but this it literally my first brand new car.
(first car was a 1968 Mustang)
Old 11/27/06 | 12:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BLCKNED
So if i remember correctly, my dealer said to come in at 3,000 miles or December 4th, which ever comes first. I just noticed this morning that I am long overdue. (hey what can I say it's a brand new car and it has to be seen on the road!) So how important is it to meet before or just after the first 3,000 miles? Should I go in early? Or just wait the week til my appointment?

I don't know about everyone else but I change my oil at 3000 miles like clockwork.I just head for the nearest Quick Lane service. I do unfortunately have to drive in a lot of stop ang go traffic. By the way...there are no DUMB questions. Hope this helps
Old 11/27/06 | 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

IMO, the 3k service is part of the service schedule. You should let the dealer perform it simply because it is easier than catching grief if you have a warranty issue later and they try to pull the "you haven't been keeping up with your scheduled maintenance" crap.
Old 11/27/06 | 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BLCKNED

I may be a little out of the norm (or maybe not) but I changed my oil at around 300 the first time. Used Motorcraft oil & Filter.

The next change was at 1k and I switched to Mobil1 Full-Synthetic Oil & Filter, then at 6k (5k interval).
I will be changing again at 10k (4k interval) just to get my Oil Change interval to coincide with my other maintenance schedule. After the 10k oil change it will be every 5k like clockwork.
FYI : The manual actually says under "Normal" driving conditions the oil change schedule is 5k miles. (At least on the 2006 models it is)
If you are 3k on the original oil I would Definitely get it changed ASAP.
I hope this helps you out.
Old 11/27/06 | 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
If you are 3k on the original oil I would Definitely get it changed ASAP.
I hope this helps you out.
Ahh got it! Making an appointment ASAP, Id rather have the dealer just do it instead of having to pay for it myself.
Old 11/27/06 | 06:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

They threw in free oil changes? lucky...
Old 11/27/06 | 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
IMO, the 3k service is part of the service schedule. You should let the dealer perform it simply because it is easier than catching grief if you have a warranty issue later and they try to pull the "you haven't been keeping up with your scheduled maintenance" crap.
I believe the normal schedule calls for oil/filter changes every 5K miles....and keep in mind that it is OK to do your own maintenance - but be sure to keep all receipts (oil + filter, etc - just keep them with your maintenance booklet) and document the date and mileage in your maintenance guide. I do all my own maintenance just to know it was done correctly and with TLC Best thing I ever did was make a cardboard/duct tape "oil drain guide" for underneath the oil filter....keeps oil from dripping down into the R&P steering housing making clean up a breeze