GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2 grand to spend....what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/07, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 grand to spend....what to get.

I have gears, CAI, tuner, Tires, Wheels, Lowering springs so far.

I was going to buy a cam and headers, but the cams i have seen installed have gotten less than stellar gains, and don't lope like I would like. Headers and catted x-pipe are an option if I could find a good set for less than my first born, I mean some people might not mind dropping 1400 bucks on headers and x-pipe but I do. I am thinking about Nitrous, and if I can find headers and catted x for $1000 I would bite.

any suggestions? advice on Nitrous?

I am sketchy on the Nitro because I have heard horror stories, but I have also heard that many advances have been made in Nitrous technology that make it pretty much harmless with a good tune and a conservative shot.

what would you do with 2 large?
Old 5/5/07, 02:07 AM
Cobra Member

ummm... brakes?
Old 5/5/07, 05:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd add underdrive pullies and CMCV's in a heartbeat. If you can get a used set of UDP's, even better. Those two were my last peformance mod and I wished I had done it earlier.

How about a one piece drive shaft?

Are you mainly after power only? In the handling department, you might consider upgrading the shocks/struts/sway bars/control arms and the brakes as mentioned to round out the overall performance.
Old 5/5/07, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

I was just going to say... I can work you out a package deal for CMCV deletes, UDP's and a Coast Driveline Aluminum Driveshaft for $918 shipped to the door.

That's a great deal of difference for performance.
Old 5/5/07, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the suggestion of upgrading your Shocks and Struts (FRPP's, Tokico D-Specs, etc.), Control Arms (LCA's, Adj. UCA) and I still believe that sub-frame connectors are worth the money, even on the S-197. I'm using BMR suspension parts and subs without any problems with form, fit or function.

An adjustable Panhard Bar would be nice, also.

And LT headers if you just have too...

BBK 1 5/8" LT Headers (Ceramic) BBK 2 3/4" X-pipe w/cats
$539.00 lmperformance.com $379.00 lmperformance.com

MAC Long Tube Headers MAC Pro Chamber w/ Cats
$422.95 speedworx.com $449.55 .speedworx.com

Bobby M.
Old 5/5/07, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

How about good exhaust system
Old 5/5/07, 10:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say, those cams might yield a lot more power with additional intake and exhaust mods. There could be a slight restriction in the flow somewhere that those cams are just not getting up to their potential.

That or a brake upgrade. The Baer 14" 2-piece rotor kit that uses the standard calipers is a super deal of a mod and just add upgraded lines and new pads. You could do that and the Tillman package above for about $2000 total.
Old 5/5/07, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Louie
ummm... brakes?
yeah.....no.
Old 5/5/07, 02:44 PM
GT Member

get with CR at tillmanspeed get the pullies, delete plates, driveshaft. then use the other grand to get a NX kit shoot a 75 shot and get a tune.

Makes you grin and still wont spend the 2k.
Old 5/5/07, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Duh, I thought you HAD put in cams. 100% on the Tillman package.
Old 5/5/07, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor

It's a great starting point... and I'd include the tune for free? Just let me know if you have any questions! Thanks fellas!

CR
Old 5/5/07, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Nothing. Save 4 big ones more and get blown.
Old 5/6/07, 12:58 AM
Cobra Member

I can't justify dropping 6k on a supercharger and only getting 100-125 hp out of it. If I am going to put a supercharger on this I want to build the bottom end up and get at least 15 lbs of boost out of her safely, but looking at the numbers by the time I do that I could put a cobra motor in there...

I like the idea of the aluminium driveshaft, but I read where another guy on this forum already scattered one.

Leaning toward longtubes, and funny gas. Why do all these guys put their purge kits on the outside of the car....seem like a waste of good giggle gas to me...I think I will put mine through the A/C vents.....
Old 5/6/07, 01:02 AM
Cobra Member

oh and CR when I do spend this money I will buy whatever it is I buy from you. Your customer service, and dedication just on this forum is better than anyone I have dealt with to date! I will be givin you a call within a couple weeks! thanks man!
Old 5/6/07, 06:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faber
I like the idea of the aluminium driveshaft, but I read where another guy on this forum already scattered one.
Yeah...but if that's the same one I am thinking of, that was a local shop one off that probably wasn't properly balanced. Quality of materials, manufacture and installation were also suspect. I wouldn't buy something that wasn't proven, and so far the Coast and the Spyder shaft have had good if not great reviews. Denny's is getting their bugs worked out.

I have been holding out for prices to drop, but I think Spyder's got the cheapest and best out there and he's not making a whole bunch on them. I've got other expenses coming up, but maybe before the end of the year...
Old 5/6/07, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Not to dog you, it's your money to spend on whatever it is you want. But if your not going to buy an item soley because one person had a malfuction is (IMHO) stupid. It's like saying I wont fly on an airplne because one crashed, or I was watching NASCAR and saw an accident, therefore I wont ever make left turns....

**** happens and that is why places have customer service, refunds, insurance, and research and development.
Old 5/6/07, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Faber
oh and CR when I do spend this money I will buy whatever it is I buy from you. Your customer service, and dedication just on this forum is better than anyone I have dealt with to date! I will be givin you a call within a couple weeks! thanks man!
I appreciate that very much.

You would be happy with any of the combinations that you pick above.

As far as headers and nitrous, great idea, I'd probably leave the nitrous alone for right now. Headers, delete plates, and UDP's would be great... add the Coast Driveline Aluminum driveshaft and you're set.

The coast driveshaft is balanced to withinin 1/16 - 1/8 of a gram, and uses top of the line Alcoa aluminum. T6061 billet flange, and Dana-spicer components. They're top of the line, and I promise you wont have ANY problems with that driveshaft!

I think that whole package would be like $2100-2200 dollars shipped.

You would net probably 55 horses, maybe 60. You'd get the better accelleration from the driveshaft, and would be up to RPM's in no time!

Would easily drop a second off your time slips! What a fun combination to drive around!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 5/6/07, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

That aluminum driveshaft that failed was made by a small shop. The failure was due to a balance problem that went uncorrected. The owner of the driveshaft even admitted that there was a vibration problem before the failure and that is when he should have parked the car until the problem was resolved. That failure was totally avoidable. I consider that a rare, isolated incident and I didn't let it stop me from purchasing a Coast aluminum driveshaft from Tillman. The only problem I had was that UPS damaged it so I am waiting for another one to arrive.
Old 5/6/07, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Speeddmn
Not to dog you, it's your money to spend on whatever it is you want. But if your not going to buy an item soley because one person had a malfuction is (IMHO) stupid.
Thank for the opinion. I am actually stupid, so you hit the nail right on the head.
Old 5/6/07, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! you guys presented options I had not considered. gotta love this forum!

Quick Reply: 2 grand to spend....what to get.