GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

05 Turbo install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/06, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well during the Christmas/New Years holiday Mark from MMR was off and his staff was not removing items from the test car or sending them to me for about a 2 week period, once he returned then the boxes started coming again. The bad part about the whole deal is the parts that I need first have just started arriving, keeping the install to a snail's crawl. The other bad part is it takes about 5-6 days for items to get from Oxnard CA to Nixa, MO. Today I setup the turbo piping system in one of the rooms in our house, and boy let me tell you with a prototype kit and no directions it can be a B##CH trying to find out what parts go where. I still am a little unsure of the routing of the tubing from the intercooler to the throttle body, it looks like it could go into the engine bay from underneath and also through an access hole in behind the passenger side headlight. I will have to wait for some more parts to get here to put the car out of commission for the full install but I did complete the water pump installation today. I ordered the Meziere pump but neglected to get a relay that is needed to turn the pump on with 12v switched source power without drawing too many amps from an existing circuit. I ordered a Painless wiring 30 amp relay from my local speed shop for about $30.00 and it went in with ease, even for an electrically challenged flight nurse. I have put in some pics of the setup that I "mocked up" in the house to give a view that most turbo companies don't show. I have begged for installed photos from MMR for weeks but haven't had any success yet. Looks like about another week before I will be starting on the full install, I hope at least.
Old 1/14/06, 06:58 PM
FR500 Member

For now at least, if ya ever get water in the basement, looks like it'd do the trick!
Old 1/14/06, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Quite a puzzle you got going there Derek.
Old 1/14/06, 11:15 PM
Cobra Member

Can't wait to see the end results. I have been SERIOUSLY considering the Powerhouse turbo setup for mine.
Old 1/15/06, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Conversation piece???
Old 1/15/06, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by luckyeod28@January 15, 2006, 8:26 AM
Conversation piece???
For now. Or my kids like to drive their hot weels on it and lose them down in the piping. Anyone know where I can get a glass case for this thing, if it has to spend any longer in the house I am going to have to put some use to it so I don't become the object of some Jeff Foxworthy "you are a redneck if" joke.
Old 1/15/06, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No pictures and no road map!! Wow! I have a hard enough time following written directions (with pictures) at times. You da man Derek!! :worship: :worship:
Scott
Old 1/31/06, 06:05 PM

Today I jacked the car up and removed the factory h-pipe, installed the new y-pipe on the drive side of the turbo and installed the y-pipe from the downpipe to the factory duals. I also mounted the turbo with downpipe to the front of the engine. I have encountered a dillemma with installing the pieces of pipe that connect the y-pipes to the turbo as I don't believe they will fit with my aftermarket k-member without modification to the k-member in the form of cutting out a small bracing piece. Everything seems to go in straight forward otherwise. I am still waiting on the final box of supplies to arrive, Mark from MMR assured me that the final box shipped today, making it arrive around Tuesday or Wednesday next week. From the looks of it I won't need it until then anyway. Finding your way around small turmoils without instructions is heck, but of course this is my first turbo install also and that may contribute it's own problems. Here are a few pics of today's journey. I am awaiting a reply from Mark concerning the routing of some piping among other things, guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 1/31/06, 06:25 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 1/31/06, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by dhof303@January 31, 2006, 7:08 PM
Today I jacked the car up and removed the factory h-pipe, installed the new y-pipe on the drive side of the turbo and installed the y-pipe from the downpipe to the factory duals. I also mounted the turbo with downpipe to the front of the engine. I have encountered a dillemma with installing the pieces of pipe that connect the y-pipes to the turbo as I don't believe they will fit with my aftermarket k-member without modification to the k-member in the form of cutting out a small bracing piece. Everything seems to go in straight forward otherwise. I am still waiting on the final box of supplies to arrive, Mark from MMR assured me that the final box shipped today, making it arrive around Tuesday or Wednesday next week. From the looks of it I won't need it until then anyway. Finding your way around small turmoils without instructions is heck, but of course this is my first turbo install also and that may contribute it's own problems. Here are a few pics of today's journey. I am awaiting a reply from Mark concerning the routing of some piping among other things, guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Lordy!! You need to be a journeyman plumber for this project. I have to hand it to you Derek. You are breaking new ground. Awesome install. Keep the pics. coming.
Scott
Old 1/31/06, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Looking good Derek. Yeah I also have a hard enough time with good instruction's and pictures... :bang: My hat's off to you. :worship:
Old 1/31/06, 08:04 PM

I believe this is the "bracing" that I will have to cut out of both sides to allow for pipe clearance. I am still waiting to hear back from MMR about the specifics on this one. Any ideas? :scratch:
Old 1/31/06, 08:05 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Eh, I wouldn't cut it if I were you. Either pipe around it or get a different K-member.
Old 1/31/06, 08:09 PM

I have to agree with Dustin. If you cut that, there goes the integrity of the k-member that your motor is sitting on! I would re-route if possible. The only other option is to go back to the stock k-member-not that you want to hear that!
Old 1/31/06, 08:11 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Looks crazy man! I can't wait to see more pics!!!
Old 1/31/06, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 31, 2006, 6:54 PM
Looking good Derek. Yeah I also have a hard enough time with good instruction's and pictures... :bang: My hat's off to you. :worship:
+1 :worship: :worship:

Derek, you have some big ones man!!
Old 2/1/06, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@January 31, 2006, 11:27 PM
I agree with both. I wouldn't cut any bracing from the K-member. It may cause the K-member to twist and flex more than it should, and constantly throw off the front alignment.
Thanks for reassuring what I really knew the answer to, I guess sometimes when you are anxious to get it finished you do or think of totally stupid things. If I did think of cutting out that support brace I would contact BMR and ask about possibilities of welding in a new brace in a different location though. For now if a modification must be done then I will probably go with altering the tubing I have or making new tubing.

Quick Reply: 05 Turbo install write-up