GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

05 Turbo install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As many of you already know we have ordered the MMR turbo kit. This week I began tearing down the car and this is a thread to show progress of our 68mm intercooled turbo install and some of the technical issues we have encountered. My wife (Chalon) and I are installing everything ourselves in the garage at our home. This is the story so far.
In preparation we have removed and sold our JBA long tubes with off road h-pipe. I was sad to see them go as they were awesome sounding and produced good power. In their place will be going some FRPP ceramic coated shorties that KenB helped us get, Thanks Ken.
The turbo kit consists of an Innovative 68mm turbo with waste gate and all jet hot coated piping. The turbo is satin with the hot side and all bracketry being coated. The kit is from Modular Mustang Racing, it was purchased in an incomplete form as we have some of the neccisary pieces already obtained.
We took out the factory k-member and radiator support member/sway bar and replaced them with BMR fabrication units. These pieces are top notch, no tweaking needed, they just bolt in with simple hand tools in about 2 hours. I wanted the k-member for added clearance of tubing and for a larger sump oil pan so we can increase our oil capacity.
Here is a list of the parts we have already obtained:
BMR Tubular K-member
BMR Radiator Support
Moroso 7qt oil pan Part # 20546
FRPP ceramic shorty headers
39# injectors from an 04 Cobra
Auto Meter gauges: Oil pressure/Fuel pressure/Boost & Vaccuum
MMR 68mm air to air intercooled turbo kit

I hope to be completing this install over the next 2 weeks and will post progress as I go along.
Old 11/24/05, 07:57 AM

One of our first encounters while waiting for the turbo pieces to arrive was installing Auto Meter gauges. For the Boost/Vaccuum we found that tapping into the vaccuum line from behind the plastic intake manifold was the best location. I cut the line going to the brake booster and "T'd" into it with some brass fittings. The mounting of the gauge pod on the pillar was so simple, there is an access panel that can be removed and the pillar fascia comes out easily. Lines can be routed into the passenger compartment through a very large grommet located under the brake booster against the firewall.
Old 11/24/05, 07:59 AM

For the fuel pressure I used the fuel block supplied with our Zex nitrous system and replaced the fuel fitting with the sending unit from Auto Meter. This can also be accomplished with a fuel pressure kit for the 05 from Modular depot without modification. Later after the turbo is tuned and testing has progressed we will drill and tap the other side of this fuel distribution block and reinstall the nitrous line for some more fun. Note the fuel distribution block is aluminum in color, this is because I can't stand the purple Zex crap.
Old 11/24/05, 08:05 AM

The oil pressure sending unit can be installed by removing the factory oil pressure sender and inserting either a "T" fitting or in our case an oil supply line will go there with a "T" farther down the line for both pressure senders and a feed line to the turbo. The factory sender is located on an aluminum block that serves three purposes: oil filter/pressure sending unit/and the lower radiator hose pickup. Removing this block will result in the loss of coolant from the entire engine/radiator so it is better to drain only the oil and install a fitting in the NPT space for the supply line.
Old 11/24/05, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be a fun thread to follow... thanks for sharing, Derek!!
Old 11/24/05, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Looking good Derick!! I will also be watching this develop...Looks like fun.
Old 11/24/05, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great cant wait to see more, even more i cant wait to share my experiance as well, from what i hear it will be about a month for me
Old 11/25/05, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Good luck I am so excited and its not even my car.
Old 11/26/05, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

subscribing..
Old 11/26/05, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

This should be interesting...keep us updated!!
Old 11/26/05, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got to see this
Old 11/27/05, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm very interested in this thread. It's either this turbo kit or a KB blower now.
Old 11/27/05, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Having a buick turbo, I am watching too... Awesome writeup so far...

Mike E
Old 11/27/05, 11:59 PM
V6 Member

Do you have any other comments regarding the BMR K-Member? This is something I am planning to purchase in the future, and I was wondering if you have any tips/tricks to add, or anything someone should know before purchasing, etc. Thanks!
Old 11/28/05, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 05STG1@November 26, 2005, 4:21 PM
subscribing..

Old 11/28/05, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by 2005MineralGT@November 28, 2005, 1:02 AM
Do you have any other comments regarding the BMR K-Member? This is something I am planning to purchase in the future, and I was wondering if you have any tips/tricks to add, or anything someone should know before purchasing, etc. Thanks!
To me there was no question on if I should get this mod, it is a true bolt-in piece and will save about 20lbs off the car not to mention the ease of working on the underside of the car. It is a bit high priced but should come down shortly, I know that MMR just let me know that they are getting ready to release a tubular k-member and that should add to the competition of pricing. I thought that this mod would be a little intimidating at first but after talking to BMR and 169stang I realized it was a complete bolt-in issue. In previous years there was a lot of work involved and I would have had someone do the work but this unit is easily installed with simple hand tools in about 2 hours just like their website states. There are a couple of tricks just like when installing headers that might help when you get one, just PM me and I can walk you through it. Nothing that can't be done normally but I can save you about 30 minutes. I did the install with just the front end jacked up and the front wheeels removed. If you plan to do headers, changing out the k-member is the perfect time to do this as when both k-members are out it is too easy to get to all of the bolts. If you want more pictures than what I have posted then let me know and I will post others or e-mail them to you.
Derek
Old 11/28/05, 09:11 PM

Today's projects included the installation of the new Moroso fabricated sheetmetal oil pan and the Ford Racing Performance Parts Jet Hot coated shorty headers. As for the craftsmanship of the oil pan it is great, already containing the oil return fitting at the front end of the pan just under the main seal. It also has a fitting pre-welded in on the passenger side and looks the same size as the factory sending unit for oil temp but is in fact a different thread (the sender is metric), both fittings front and side are 1/2"NPT and come with allen head plugs. On the drivers side rear there is a drain plug with an integrated magnet and a copper gasket. The overall design of the pan is great for both road course and drag racing with baffles and an oil trap in the sump. The "kickouts" have increased the capacity of the pan to 7 quarts allowing the 3V engine to have about 8 quarts capacity with filter and turbo/oiling lines setup. I am currently checking for issues concerning the oil pickup as Moroso suggests using the Ford part# F6ZZ6622CE and our factory part is 4R3E-6622-CE, possibly a very similar part. The oil pan came out of the car relatively easily, it does require the unbolting and slight displacement of the rack and pinion unit, at least this is the only action required for a car with a tubular k-member. Installed the pan looks like it is all buisness. Moroso advertises the pan comes painted black but as you can see mine is a stainless color.
Old 11/28/05, 09:13 PM

The other project involved the beginning of the "mock up" of the exhaust by installing the FRPP "Jet Hot" coated headers. These things are awesome, I have owned a couple of ceramic coated headers before but none with the quality of the finish as produced by "Jet Hot." The craftsmanship of the headers is good too except for a little roughness around the edges of the welds on the inside of the ports. Nothing that a dremel can't fix in a couple of seconds, as the thickness of the piping/welds/flanges is more than adequate to diminish fears of burning through with an out of control air tool. I will most likely reinstall the factory h-pipe and full run the car with the new oil pan/gauges/headers to check for problems prior to completing the turbo install, the fewer things you change at once the easier it is to identify and fix problems.
Old 11/28/05, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by dhof303@November 28, 2005, 10:14 PM
Today's projects included the installation of the new Moroso fabricated sheetmetal oil pan and the Ford Racing Performance Parts Jet Hot coated shorty headers. As for the craftsmanship of the oil pan it is great, already containing the oil return fitting at the front end of the pan just under the main seal. It also has a fitting pre-welded in for the reinstallation of the factory oil temperature sending unit, both fittings are 1/2"NPT and come with allen head plugs. On the drivers side rear there is a drain plug with an integrated magnet and a copper gasket. The overall design of the pan is great for both road course and drag racing with baffles and an oil trap in the sump. The "kickouts" have increased the capacity of the pan to 7 quarts allowing the 3V engine to have about 8 quarts capacity with filter and turbo/oiling lines setup. I am currently checking for issues concerning the oil pickup as Moroso suggests using the Ford part# F6ZZ6622CE and our factory part is 4R3E-6622-CE, possibly a very similar part. The oil pan came out of the car relatively easily, it does require the unbolting and slight displacement of the rack and pinion unit, at least this is the only action required for a car with a tubular k-member. Installed the pan looks like it is all buisness. Moroso advertises the pan comes painted black but as you can see mine is a stainless color.
yup thats the cobra pick-up
Old 11/28/05, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by GI Joe@November 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
yup thats the cobra pick-up
I spoke with Al Pappito this morning (Boss 330) and he compared the two oil pickups side by side and looked for fittment with the Moroso oil pan. We have discovered that the factory 05 Mustang pickup is designed to clear a full length windage tray and has the proper length/depth to work with the aftermarket pan without having to purchase the Ford "Cobra" oil pickup. This equates to a $50.00 or more part that I won't be needing.
Derek

Quick Reply: 05 Turbo install write-up