GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

05 Turbo install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/05, 08:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Derrick, glad to hear your happy with the parts. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. Looking forward to seeing the car finished.
Jason/BMR
Old 11/30/05, 09:51 AM

Thanks Jason, you have been very helpful with my install. I look forward to receiving your drive shaft safety loop today sometime. I will probably be in the market for some subframe connectors shortly, which ones do you suggest for my application? We do primarily drag racing but drive the car daily on the street.
Derek
Old 12/1/05, 07:37 AM

For those of you who are thinking of upgrading the factory oil pan to the Moroso unit I do need to let you know that you will not be able to reinstall your oil temp sending unit without modification. The passenger side fitting is NPT and the sender is metric. It could be done by welding in another bung, possibly out of the factory pan or getting one from a nuts/bolts vendor, or possibly by drilling out the threads in the Moroso pan bung and tapping them again to use a bushing to go back down to the metric size. I did not reinstall my sending unit as it is merely an idiot light and I watch temps/gauges closer than that anyway. The car started and ran perfectly without the sensor pluged in and no check engine light until the next startup, then there was a P0198 which is "oil temperature sensor reading high." I am currently researching how to permanently turn this off or get the sensor isntalled.
Old 12/1/05, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dhof303@November 30, 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Jason, you have been very helpful with my install. I look forward to receiving your drive shaft safety loop today sometime. I will probably be in the market for some subframe connectors shortly, which ones do you suggest for my application? We do primarily drag racing but drive the car daily on the street.
Derek
Congrats on this project, and I appreciate the photos and progress updates
Old 12/1/05, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Awsome project....that car should be smokin when your done...

i dont know how much you have delt with turbos...but a small piece of advice....make sure you tune it right....spend extra money if you have to.

my buddy and i spent all winter working on his 89 and he took it out with out a proper tune......lets just say he had more than 8 pistons when he pulled back in the garage...and not in the good way

good luck with the install
Old 12/14/05, 02:39 PM

It has been H, E, double hockey stick waiting for parts to come in from this kit. Last night brought a shipment of the intercooler 4", about 1/2 of the piping, and the wastegate. I planned on removing the bumper to install the intercooler but talked with Mark from MMR and found that it could be installed without this process. The intercooler slid in from the bottome with some traction applied to the lower edge of the fascia and it is a tight fit. I manually pushed the bracketry from the power steering cooling lines closer to the A/C radiator and pushed the intercooler up into place. It took about 2 minutes and no fins from any of the radiators/intercooler were damaged. Once in place I held it up with a floor jack and drilled 4 small holes in the bottom side of the frame extensions and screwed in a couple of metal tapping bolts on each side. This intercooler takes up a lot of lower grill space, it reaches upward to the bottom of the upper grill. Tomorrow should bring more parts and installation as I am told I will be recieving about 4 boxes over the course of this week. Waiting patiently.

BTW the intercooler alone weighs 21lbs, and the piping I have so far is 31lbs. Looks like we will be getting back some of the weight we shed.
Old 12/14/05, 02:48 PM

In other news I ordered an Auto Meter Distributorless Tach Driver (#9117, $70.00) for a shift light that I picked up today. The shift light is the Auto Meter Pro, with internal RPM module that has removable pills, found this used on consignment at the local speed shop for $30.00. I have affixed it to the gauge pod in an area that doesn't block the driver's view.
Old 12/14/05, 04:33 PM
GT Member

awsome car man.....that thing should move! You definately did it the right way...no sense in taking power to make power.

be very careful with the band that attaches the compressor portion of the turbo together....they can bust really easy if you torque them over too much....

good luck with everything
Old 12/14/05, 05:26 PM

getting closer Derek!
Old 12/14/05, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

You have got to get a vid of this thing when its done!
Old 12/14/05, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Your gauge setup looks great, can't wait til your project is done! When do you hope to get everything installed and tuned?
Old 12/15/05, 12:44 AM

Plans are to have it installed completely by next week some time, tuning will depend on when Ken from Modular Depot will be available after that with "virtual dyno setion" via internet after install.
Old 12/16/05, 07:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dhof303@November 30, 2005, 12:54 PM
Derek
I would recommend the boxed style for a car geared mainly towards drag racing.
Jason/BMR
Old 12/17/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Come on UPS
Old 12/18/05, 08:53 PM

I cant wait also to see how this turns out.Not to rain on your parrade but,Do you have a new shortblock on deck?Myself i would of just taken the motor out.Replaced lower end rods and pistons.Completely asembled motor with all the turbo stuff and put it right back in.
Unless you already done this and i missed it.
I am changing the lower end with ported heads,cams,fuel system,full chromemolly rollcage,taller gears and running much more nitrous.
I will carry the torch for the Nitrous "Cheaters"
Old 12/18/05, 10:19 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mike how's that cage comming?

you yank your motor yet?
Old 12/19/05, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by mikem@December 18, 2005, 9:56 PM
I cant wait also to see how this turns out.Not to rain on your parrade but,Do you have a new shortblock on deck?Myself i would of just taken the motor out.Replaced lower end rods and pistons.Completely asembled motor with all the turbo stuff and put it right back in.
Unless you already done this and i missed it.
I am changing the lower end with ported heads,cams,fuel system,full chromemolly rollcage,taller gears and running much more nitrous.
I will carry the torch for the Nitrous "Cheaters"
I am in the process of putting together a short block, it wont' come together as timely as the turbo can go on. If I had the money I would have done it that way but I also don't want our car down for that many days in a row. It is one thing to make payments on a car while there is snow on the ground and another to make payments on a pile of parts. I have talked with Scott Hoag about buying some 05 motors and 03/04 Cobra short blocks that were used in testing from Ford. The plan is to use one of them for a stand by replacement built engine for when the boost comes up or the engine lets go whichever first.

P.S. I won't be relinquishing my torch for the "cheaters" either, we will be keeping the nitrous in addition to the turbo.
Old 12/19/05, 10:37 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dhof303@December 19, 2005, 9:58 AM
we will be keeping the nitrous in addition to the turbo.
Dang you should be able to do low 10s at least with nitrous and that turbo. I wouldn't spray though until the short block comes!
Old 12/19/05, 03:18 PM

Today UPS brought box number 2.

1. The turbo itself with jet hot coated "hot side" and bracket.
2. Maximum Motorsports 03/04 Cobra oil filter relocation kit, which allows you to expand volume and relocate the filter in a cooler place for tubing room. Uses the old FL-1A larger volume filter like all OHV Windsor motors.
3. Boost controller. Used to route a controller into the passenger compartment to allow adjusting the boost from inside while driving.
4. Air filter. Similar to the one provided with the MMR intake kit only a little shorter and with a smaller diameter tube.

I also picked up a Meziere water pump (#WP346) from my local speed shop.

Got the shift light hooked up with some help from the post by FordRacing, Thank you. I used the 12v switched power source that goes to a module that attaches to the accelerator pedal support.
Old 12/19/05, 03:28 PM

Here is the water pump. Going rate is around $345.00 but it can be found for $225.00 if you look hard enough.

Quick Reply: 05 Turbo install write-up