GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

05-09 Mustang Gt w/suspension mods vs bmw?

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/13, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 05-09 Mustang Gt w/suspension mods vs bmw?

Does my "logic" make any sense? Well I see the darn review where they compare the 2011 Mustang 5.0 vs 2011 BMW M3, on the track, they were almost neck and neck. You can argue the bmw might be slightly better "handling" but that is all. So that being the case, isn't the 05-09 GT essentially the same chassis? If this is true than wouldn't logic dictate that a 05-09 Mustang GT with lets say, Koni SRT shocks / struts, Hotchkis springs, camber bolts and Hotchkis panhard bar with decent tires, stock wheels, 17 inch and better brake pads, such as hps would handle as good as the 2011 Mustang 5.0? Of course it will not be as fast, 100hp less and similiar with the torque but would the handling be as good? If this is true wouldn't this 05-09 Gt with these basic handling mods be faster around the track than a 97-99 bmw m3? Just saying. How "good" will the handling be compared to stock, the "competition? I have always wanted a 98-04 Corvette but having two children and a wife, wife says no. Hope Mustang is a good way to go. Ger.
Old 10/23/13, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can make your car easily outhandle a BMW... anything can be done for a price

It all depends on what you really want to do with the car.

A Griggs setup on your car would outhandle a Corvette, BMW, or whatever at stock levels.

But bear in mind that the street manners of the car will be harsher than your stock suspension. You'll also likely get some more noise and so on with a track setup.

I have a GT500 drivetrain and I went with the Ford PP suspension for the GT500 and I have the FRPP sway bars.

My car handles VERY well and still has nice street manners.

But I'm more particular with the car since I don't like a lot of noise. And I daily drive it so I don't like the ride to be too jarring.

If I were going strictly for performance I'd go with Griggs.

Forgot to add this... TIRES are a HUGE element that a lot of people neglect to think about. A sticky tire will do wonders for handling... more so than a suspension in a lot of instances.