Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Z or Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/05, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that Z better be a roadster to cost $35k...
Old 7/3/05, 03:16 PM
V6 Member

We were also about to purchase a Z when the 05 Mustang came out. I like the styling of the mustang better. The utility of the trunk and back seat is much greater with the stang. They say 2 golf bags fit in the back of the Z. They must be travel bags! The stang was about half the cost of the Z. We paid 22k for the V6 vs 45k for the Z we were looking at. The deal breaker though was the continued front tire feathering iassue that the Z has been unable to resolve in 3 model years. I drew the line at 2 new 300 dollar tires every 5000 miles!
Old 7/3/05, 05:09 PM

JimmyT, obviously you're going to get biased references when you ask a question like that on a Mustang forum. It's your $$ so it's your decision. Drive them both; try to find some people who own each car (maybe hit a car show some weekend), and choose the one that best fits your needs and wants in a car. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either car - I like and respect both of them. I just happen to have chosen the Mustang GT.
Old 7/3/05, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 3, 2005, 4:03 AM
Id go with the Stang, I am sure that the Z is a great car for all intensive purposes. But they dont look as cool as the stang especially the GT, the GT turns everyones head including exotic owners. V6 vs. V8, no brainer here. 28,000 vs. 35,000, again I think it is a no brainer. I know a couple of people with the Zs, stock for stock the stang will spank it (no need to start that arguement, I've put my car up against three different Zs that belong to friends, among several others on the street and have beat each easily). I know one person who is cranking out 600 HP in his Z, but he dumped 40,000 into it on top of the cost of the car (total of around 75,000) vs. for around 3,000-5,000 for a charger (depending on which you go with) and a little more for some extra mods and you are there, again no brainer. The stang has history and is a part of Americana and will always be a classic vs. the Z will be traded in and eventually no one will want it and it will be junked. The list goes on and on, but this is just my .02. I'd go with the stang without thinking twice.
FYI,not to be a smart -***, but it's..."intents and purposes"
Old 7/3/05, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

remember man what mustang is trying to do is recall its heritage.. the interior is simple.. as the classic interior was.. for mustang its about the driving experience.. sure you want bose speakers an nice leather then you would be paying alot more than 25K. i have to agree that the 350Z has a great interior.. but look at the exterior, it just looks dumb, i never liked the styling looks of any import cars... i used to like bmws until they started trying to copy asian car makers styling cues. look at the new 5 series... alright i rambled a bit but the point is think about what you are going to enjoy for the long term. i think thats a mustang.
Old 7/3/05, 07:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The local Nissan dealer is discounting the standard hatchbacks from $27,850 to $26,776 and the Anniversary Editions from $37,740 to $ 35,494.
Old 7/3/05, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Scarpi@July 3, 2005, 11:11 AM
I'd wait and get the Mustang. The Z is a nice sports car, but it is not a Mustang. In getting the Mustang you become a part of something. As in a part of Americana. You know, like apple pie, the flag etc. There are also many Mustang clubs and many owners who just love to get together at car shows like we have done here in the Phoenix area. It's kinda of hard to describe but owning this car makes me feel like a part of something that is important in this country. While I waited for my Mustang Gt for four months, I thought of Zs and Infinitys and RX8s, but I held out and I'm glad I did. The choice is yours of course but if your looking for a collector car to keep a long while and want to be a part of something larger than just having a nice sports car, then wait for the Mustang. Just my thoughts.
Well said Scarpi.

I was all set to buy a 350Z before I saw the new Mustang. I didn't think I could wait until the production version came out, but I'm glad I did. I still like the Z, but like the Mustang much better, in looks, power, and price. I bought the Mustang because that's what I wanted, but I do have to admit I enjoy the constant streams of oohhs, ahhhs, and thumbs up. EVERYONE seems to connect with this car, from young punks to old farts. The Z is very nice, but the 05 Stang is the very definition of a cool car.
Old 7/3/05, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Too Tall@July 3, 2005, 3:19 PM
The deal breaker though was the continued front tire feathering iassue that the Z has been unable to resolve in 3 model years. I drew the line at 2 new 300 dollar tires every 5000 miles!
BINGO! Because the tires are different sizes front and rear, and they are not common sizes, and maintaining the alignment to try and slow down the wear is tough, this factor sticks out as a biggie! It's really too bad this exists. It is a nice handling vehicle. The RX-8, in my opinion, is even sharper in that department.
Old 7/3/05, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

after an accident in my 3 month old 2003 civic, I decided I wanted a new car, with more power. It was a great car but was gutless. I had thought about buying a less practicle more fun car and the top contenders were the 350Z, rx-8, wrx, rsx-s (don't hate honda because of the little racer boys who drive them, they make great cars and engines)or a 2004 mustang GT.

After seeing the interior and lackluster 260hp mustang, then figuring I'd get sick of the wrx's "ecentric" styling, I narrowed it down to 350z rx-8 and rsx-s. That was when I saw the first production photo's of the 2005 Mustang GT. I scoured the net for info, found this site and made my decision.

I don't regret it for a moment.
Old 7/3/05, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by BigDog@July 3, 2005, 6:47 AM
I drove a 350z when it started to look like my order might fall thru (it didn't ), and I loved it! It was a rocket on rails, but I'm 6'2" and it was a little claustraphobic. My GT is perfectly comfortable, even on road trips. But if I had the cash, I'd have a Z roadster just for more fun!

One thing about the z - A friend of mine has its sister, the G35, and he told me they eat brakes. I noticed when I drove the z that the brakes were kinda grabby, and my friend warned me that he has to replace his pads about every nine months.....
I agree, I am 6'1" and have wanted a Z since I was teenager (280zx Black Gold Edition). I sat in one when they came out at the car show a few years ago. It was winter here and had on my big winter jacket and couldn't fit in it comfortably. I love the seats in my GT, feels very open. Lots of room!
Old 7/3/05, 10:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Which one makes your heart beat faster...
Old 7/4/05, 01:30 AM
Cobra R Member

I sat in a 'Z' when they first came out, and it sits too low for my liking, and it was a pain in the butt getting in and out of. The Mustang sits at just the right height for me, and the comfort was a no-comparison for me........MUSTANG all the way for this guy.
Old 7/4/05, 03:36 AM
Bullitt Member

OK Asking for an honest opnion on 350Z vs Mustang GT on a Mustang Forum is not a problem nor a dunb question. I think many people have looked at other cars befoe buying thier Mustang, but we did buy the Mustang, not the other cars!

I was looking for a sports car under 30k and drove both the 350Z and RX-8 and did a lot of reasearch and read every comparisson written. I wanted the quality of the imports, and the 350Z is a great car. I test drove one and it handled great and sounded great. I like the interior ok. IF the Mustang had not been redesigned I would likley be driving an RX-8 right now.

I love my Mustang and have no regrets , it gets way more attension and compliments than any 350Z or RX-8 ever will. The problems with the 350Z is
1. Different size tires front to back means no rotating tires, buying $250 tires at around 15 to 25k miles, thats just way too much money for maintenance for me!! And yes the front end is a bit heavy and with hard cornering the front tires will tend to wear out fast.
2. Big problem is interior design with no room. My Mustang is my daily driver, not a weeked beauty queen, so I need room and practicallity. I know friends that had 350Zs and tried to take the wife for a wekend drive, wife was miserable. You cant even lean the seats back and have no place to put anything on a drive. I just cant magine driving for any distance and not being able to lean the passenger seat back to take a nap, or be able to put her purse, maps etc, on the back seat within easy reach. I dont even think the rear/trunk area has enough room for a few overnight bags!!

Those two problems were enough to x it off my list. I mean if your single, or only take the car out on weekends around town it might be fine. But for anything else the car is very impracticale, and all the reviews and test drivers I read agree.

The RX-8 is the real practical sports car, BUT its quiet and dosent sound like much. it just dosent excite like the Mustang.
Old 7/4/05, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

come on dude, do you really think anybody here is going to say "get the Z"?

If they had not done such a great job with the new Mustang, I was leaning toward a G35, the Z cousin. But, compared to the new Mustang, it was an easy decision for me

basically the Mustang is better and cheaper, it really is a no-brainer, the only down side of the Mustang is that it's so great and there's a wait to get one, but the wait is WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/4/05, 04:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Yah, if your really into mustangs it shouldnt even be a question. Good luck
Old 7/4/05, 04:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you asked G35 or Mustang it would be tough. I don't like the 350Z and I am still seeing used ones on lots and they are just sitting there. I posted in a thread a month or two back about this and the car I saw is still on the lot. You don't see Mustang GT's sitting on lots anywhere. Also, more back seat space (not much) and a more useable trunk area. The tower brace on the 350Z in the rear is the dumbest design idea I've seen. Good luck on your decision.
Old 7/4/05, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Idrvadodgstr8us@July 3, 2005, 8:51 AM
forget the nissan 350z....you need to help out american car companies....i have a really good article on the auto industry and how unfair it is to american car companies...its unfortunate
I'd be very interested in seeing that article. I've been saying this for years.
Old 7/4/05, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Even if you disregard the comments about American vs. foreign and the cost of replacing tires (which would be a major issue to me), I think you'd be happier with the Mustang. I've driven a Z and found it to be a very sharp car. Good performance and great handling. But there's no room in it. Like someone said, you can't really recline the seats and what passes for storage space is an absolute joke. It's your choice, obviously, but I suspect you'll regret your decision if you go the Z route.
Old 7/5/05, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Z is an awsome car too. But the one thing that annoyed me was the non-existant backseat in the Z. I need some place to chuck stuff when i get in a car. But the mustang is hands down the best machine!
Old 7/5/05, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I saw the concept version of the mustang, and that was it, no other car crossed my mind.

Quick Reply: Z or Mustang