Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Z or Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/05, 02:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks, I have a real dilemma. I have been looking to purchase a new car for a while now, and to make a long story short, I decided on the mustang gt. I ordered a screaming yellow on the 17 of april, and recently I changed my order to a 2006 tungsten silver for two reasons. First, because I liked the new color, and also because this would give me a chance to save more money for the down payment. Problem is I recently stumbled upon the nissan 350z. I never considered one because I thought they were too much money, however I can get a touring 350z for 35,000 which comes standard with leather seats and Bose speakers, and (HID) xenon headlights. I test drove one this last weekend and loved it. It's V6 is very peppy and fun to drive. I'm a long time veteran of this site and probably every mustang forum site in existance. I have posted many topics and feel very connected the mustang and all of you who own one. I have just recently joined a 350z forum and feel like a stranger completely lost. I love the mustang, however, I also like the Z. The interior on the Z is much more upscale than the mustang. It has much more leather, and a lot less hard plastic. It is also a lot more sleeker looking. I'm not trying to make anyone angry, as I have been a very loyal mustang friend. I was wondering what other people thought of the Z. Has anyone owned one? what were your experiences with it. Does everybody here hate it, or do you have respect for it. I posted a very similery thread in the 350z forums like this one. It's my decision to make,but I could use some help. I hate to be changing my mind,...and joining the enemy... :worship:
Old 7/3/05, 03:00 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Id go with the Stang, I am sure that the Z is a great car for all intensive purposes. But they dont look as cool as the stang especially the GT, the GT turns everyones head including exotic owners. V6 vs. V8, no brainer here. 28,000 vs. 35,000, again I think it is a no brainer. I know a couple of people with the Zs, stock for stock the stang will spank it (no need to start that arguement, I've put my car up against three different Zs that belong to friends, among several others on the street and have beat each easily). I know one person who is cranking out 600 HP in his Z, but he dumped 40,000 into it on top of the cost of the car (total of around 75,000) vs. for around 3,000-5,000 for a charger (depending on which you go with) and a little more for some extra mods and you are there, again no brainer. The stang has history and is a part of Americana and will always be a classic vs. the Z will be traded in and eventually no one will want it and it will be junked. The list goes on and on, but this is just my .02. I'd go with the stang without thinking twice.
Old 7/3/05, 03:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wrong place to ask advice on an auto choice.

'Stang hands down.

1) It's a Mustang
1) American classic
2) bang for the buck
3) Styling
4) It's a Mustang
5) It's not foreign
6) It's a Mustang
7) Muscle
8) It's not a Z
9) It's a Mustang
10) Just yesterday I went shopping with my wife. Well I did the driving and waited for her out front in the pony. In 15 minutes, I had 9 people stop and look at the pony. 4 couples and a young boy about 10-12 years young.
You will not get this recognition with the z.

Oh, and did I mention........................................... ....It's a Mustang.

Happy trails
Old 7/3/05, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a 350z when it started to look like my order might fall thru (it didn't ), and I loved it! It was a rocket on rails, but I'm 6'2" and it was a little claustraphobic. My GT is perfectly comfortable, even on road trips. But if I had the cash, I'd have a Z roadster just for more fun!

One thing about the z - A friend of mine has its sister, the G35, and he told me they eat brakes. I noticed when I drove the z that the brakes were kinda grabby, and my friend warned me that he has to replace his pads about every nine months.....
Old 7/3/05, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

28,000 or 35,000 U be the judge
Old 7/3/05, 07:48 AM
GT Member

forget the nissan 350z....you need to help out american car companies....i have a really good article on the auto industry and how unfair it is to american car companies...its unfortunate
Old 7/3/05, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

*I've driven many expensive cars and they just don't give me a smile like me Mustang.
You won't get the same headturns and attention.
A Mustang is pure American muscle.
The insurance might be more on the Z.
You won't have to save up for a even bigger downpayment.
Your payments will be smaller, you'll have EXTRA money to have fun with mods...etc. Or just to spend on yourself.
Plus, this is the car you've been obsessing over for a long time, you know it inside and out...I think even though the Z might make you happy...You'll always regret not getting your Mustang.
Old 7/3/05, 07:59 AM
FR500 Member

The only fun cars I've ever had were Mustangs and Z's. As much as I like the new "Z" on the surface, it doesn't have what I need. I test drove one, and could not get comfortable in it. It's peppy, but it doesn't have the tire shredding torque of the Mustang.

The Mustang however fits me like a glove and provides all the torque induced giddyness I could want
Old 7/3/05, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I was very close to buying a 350Z 2 years back before getting the '03 Mach. At that time, there were several factors that put me in favor in of the Mustang, as I liked the styling and handling capabilities of the Z A LOT and was a previous 1990 300ZX owner -

1) engine output
2) back seat room
3) heritage link

If I were to do the same comparison with the current Mustang, I would add these factors to the above list that would again tip me toward the Mustang -

4) tire maintenance costs (the 350Z is notorious for front tire wear)
5) more powerful variants of the Mustang V8 will be available (the 35th Anniversary Z goes up to 300hp but torque is reduced by 14 ft-lb)

I see the 350Z as THE Japanese muscle car, at least compared to other entries from Mazda or Honda. If I were cross-shopping it with the RX-8 (phenomenal handling!) and S2000 (amazing high-revving engine), the 350Z would be my pick.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 7/3/05, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

If you come to a Mustang forum and ask that, everyone is gonna recommend a Mustang. Go to a 350z forum and everyone is gonna recommend the Nissan.
Ultimately, it is your decision.
Old 7/3/05, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

I really like the Z as well. However, being 6'2" with a son on the way (next month), I need the size and back seat of the Mustang. It is a much more comfortable daily driver than the Z.

However, in regards to your comment about the Z's interior -- I have heard a ton of people complain about the cheapness of it. In fact, of the 4 Z's I have sat in, only 1 of the center consol compartments actually opened. The others were stuck shut.

Ultimately comes down to what you want out of your car. The Z is lighter and a little more fun in the twisties, the Mustang is easier to live with on a daily basis and easier to tune up to a hp monster. Looks is up to you (I like both for very different reasons).

BTW, to clear up the price issue.... On carsdirect.com, the target price for a mustang is $31.5 (aren't dealer markups great), and price for an Touring Z is $30.7, with an Entusiast coming in at $27.6k, and the base even cheaper.
Old 7/3/05, 09:48 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Origionally for myself I was looking at a honda S2000 its only about 10.000 dollars more than the GT coupe up here and hardly looses any value in the first couple of years but the new mustang is a very good /well built car with good crash test results (I'm sure its 5 stars with airbags and that includes roll over )pushing over 300hp and is one of the best looking mustangs that has been built since the 60's .Great bang for the buck and people coming right off the highway just to see my car when I gas up ,what other car could do that ?

When it came to safety ,price ,looks this car has it all .
But this is your car and your money you have to be happy with what you buy ,it's your paycheck in the driveway and you have to be happy with it for a long time to come .Good luck with what ever you deceide
Old 7/3/05, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I used to have a 03 altima 3.5se that i traded in for the mustang. The VQ engine is a superb V6.Probably the best V6 out there imo. The mustang is more power and thrust of course with the V8. I was thinking about getting a Z also. factors that swayed me to getting a mustang...1. mustang has back seats. 2. mustang is cheaper( I would have to get the base Z to get close to the same price as a mustang gt). 3. mustang has more power. 7K is a big difference in price. you can supercharge a mustang and more for 7K.
Old 7/3/05, 09:57 AM
V6 Member

No ? Buy the MUSTANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/3/05, 10:25 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
If you like plastic fuel doors the Z is the way to go.

Old 7/3/05, 10:43 AM
GT Member

My mate works for our local Nissan dealer & he has a Z as a demo car, I drove it back to back with my 05 & it just doesn't offer the same sense of occasion or buzz as you get from the Mustang. Also the extra torque from the 4.6 litre really counts on the road in day to day driving. Not to mention he couldn't get near my 13.5 quarter mile time!
Old 7/3/05, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd wait and get the Mustang. The Z is a nice sports car, but it is not a Mustang. In getting the Mustang you become a part of something. As in a part of Americana. You know, like apple pie, the flag etc. There are also many Mustang clubs and many owners who just love to get together at car shows like we have done here in the Phoenix area. It's kinda of hard to describe but owning this car makes me feel like a part of something that is important in this country. While I waited for my Mustang Gt for four months, I thought of Zs and Infinitys and RX8s, but I held out and I'm glad I did. The choice is yours of course but if your looking for a collector car to keep a long while and want to be a part of something larger than just having a nice sports car, then wait for the Mustang. Just my thoughts.
Old 7/3/05, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Mustang or 350Z?
Before I saw the 05 Mustang GT concept, I was about to get a 350Z.
I have no regrets at all, of waiting and buying my 05 Mustang GT.
The choice is really your to make. I see 350Z all the time with no regrets!
Happy Trails!!! B)
Old 7/3/05, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a certain feeling you can only get from a American built RWD V8. No foreign company has ever come close to matching it. I have driven a bunch of different iron in my day, Italian, Japanese, Euro etc and you see what I choose to have in my garage. There is no substitute for a V8 Mustang....of any vintage.
Old 7/3/05, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually came within a few hours of buying a 350Z. My wife got sick of waiting on her '05 GT, and sick of the lies and excuses from the dealer. She decided to just forgo the Mustang and get a Z. The night before we were going to get the Z I lucked up and found an'05 GT exactly like the one we had ordered at a dealer about 100 miles away. We have no regrets getting the Mustang over the 350Z. :drive:

Quick Reply: Z or Mustang