Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

WORST comparison EVER

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/08, 05:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
If making comparisons makes that Subaru a better car I bet they never consider which car will good 10 or 20 years from now or now.Most Subarus 10 years old look really used and their drivetrains all beat to ****.
I could tell how I really feel about imports but its a waste of time.They really don't have one classic to brag about.Except the Euro cars.
Old 1/26/08, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stupid part of the comparison is the 2 wheel drive (rear wheel drive) of the Shelby GT (or any Mustang GT) vs. the 4 wheel drive (all wheel drive) of the STI. Take away the front drive wheels of the STI and try to drive it as hard as the Mustang on only the STI's rear wheels and see what happens. And they also mention the STI comes with stickier tires...

I'd bet my 2006 Mustang GT (now with about the same HP as a Shelby GT with my mods) for pinks that a rear wheel drive only STI would run away crying in every one of the 40 plus "tests" they put those two cars through...
Old 1/26/08, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mot250
The stupid part of the comparison is the 2 wheel drive (rear wheel drive) of the Shelby GT (or any Mustang GT) vs. the 4 wheel drive (all wheel drive) of the STI. Take away the front drive wheels of the STI and try to drive it as hard as the Mustang on only the STI's rear wheels and see what happens. And they also mention the STI comes with stickier tires...

I'd bet my 2006 Mustang GT (now with about the same HP as a Shelby GT with my mods) for pinks that a rear wheel drive only STI would run away crying in every one of the 40 plus "tests" they put those two cars through...
??? You'd run your car for pinks against a fictional car that doesn't exist? (Rear drive STI)

Whatever happened to run what ya brung?

Bottom line I think is both cars are performance oriented cars in a similar price range. If you are concerned ONLY with performance stats, then the STI is clearly the winner.
Old 1/26/08, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
??? You'd run your car for pinks against a fictional car that doesn't exist? (Rear drive STI)

Whatever happened to run what ya brung?

Bottom line I think is both cars are performance oriented cars in a similar price range. If you are concerned ONLY with performance stats, then the STI is clearly the winner.
My point was that pitting the all wheel drive STI against a rear wheel drive Mustang Shelby GT is not a fair comparison. And the "dolts" (refering to Scobeyj22's comment referenced in post #3, not any of us on this forum) that rave over the STI as "beating the Stang" in these tests always just rely on the final results and then turn to bashing the Mustang as an American piece of pooh just because it relies on the "old" rear drive only platform and raw, non-forced-induction power.

I commend the STI for what it is on the performance side of the coin(though it is also ugly), just as I'd commend Neon SRT4s for what they are capable of (sorry for comparing a car no longer offered new but I have not run against the new Dodge SRT4's yet on the track). But I would not pit an SRT4 Neon or the new SRT4 Dodge Caliber(SP??) against a Shelby GT500 KR and then say the Dodge SRT4 is just stupid Dodge engineering since it would not be able to keep up with the Shelby (yeah, I know there is a BIG price disparity between the Shelby GT 500 and the SRT4 but blah, blah, blah).
Old 1/27/08, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

I have a hard time seeing how comparing an AWD Asian rally car with a RWD American muscle car is valid. Apples and oranges, people...
Old 1/27/08, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I saw a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX in person today at the mall and it looked SWEET. It was the 5-door wagon version and I originally thought they looked like a$$ in the brochure, but in person they look like a smaller version of the Ford Edge. I find the exterior to be more appealing than the 4-door sedan.

The STi has more power than the WRX and some extra upgrades. I've always longed for a STi since they first arrived in the US. To be perfectly honest with you, I'd keep my Mustang GT and just add the STi to the stable. Why?

The AWD STi looks fun to drive but can also handle bad weather. The only thing missing is projector Xenon HID headlamps. I'd keep the Stang just to drive around a RWD car when I feel like it.

What I don't like about the STi is the poor gas mileage. I want gobs of power with the best fuel economy possible. Something like a Corvette Z06 with the fuel economy of a Prius would work well for me.
Old 1/27/08, 03:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can shove 500hp into a turd. It will be fast turd. Still a turd.

Sorry - that comparison rubbed me the wrong way...

Just wait until the Carmaro is out.
Old 1/27/08, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

i would take the shelby in a heartbeat but i agree

that brakes on the mustang do blow... this had to be the worst car i ever had in brake stopping...FORD NEEDS TO PICK IT UP IN THE BRAKE DEPT!!
Old 1/27/08, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lets see, when was the last time Subaru sold 160,000 or ANY model in one year?? Hmm... When was the last time Subaru sold 160,000 CARS in America in one year???????????

When was the last time you saw a Subaru go across Barrett Jackson's block???

When was the last time you saw people run up to a Subaru driver and compliment him/her on their car? Or stare at a stop light? Or, get kudos from a BMW driver?? Or or or or.

I could go on and on.

That Subaru looks like Roseann Bar got it on with a french bull dog. You can keep it.
Old 1/27/08, 06:11 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
Yea that is a stupid comparison. Shelby looks way better. I don't mind the new evo's but someone needs to make a sweetass 2 door all wheel drive car. AWD feels so different to drive I really like it.
LOL, or a Audi R8. Lambo Gallardo also fits this description too.
Old 1/27/08, 06:17 PM

A Bullitt or GT500 would have made much better comparisons. I just saw the STi get beat pretty good by the R32 and EVO RS in the newest C&D...
Old 1/27/08, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Barrett Jackson is overrated and I don't need to feel good by having other people compliment my car. They are slapping the Shelby name on everything to try and make it a collector's item. Unfortunately, that will never happen with the S197 Shelbys because there are just too many of them to be worth much in the future. Everyone that has one is going to garage their Shelby in the hopes it will rise in value. It's like baseball cards... when moms threw out all of the cards, it drove up the value of rare cards. When everyone started collecting them, the value won't go up much.

I would agree that historically the Impreza looked like total a$$. The 2008-up Impreza 5-door wagon looks rather sleek, like a baby version of the Ford Edge. FYI the Impreza crowd HATES the 2008-up styling.
Old 1/27/08, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Barrett Jackson is over-rated? Well, say what you want, there are no $100,000+ Subarus.

There are MANY $100,000+ Mustangs both new and old.

I don't need to feel good about people complimenting my car, it just happens. I didn't take that into consideration when I bought my car, it just came as part of the deal.

I'm glad you have a perfectly functional crystal ball that tells you the GT500s won't be worth crap in future years. It's a shame the people paying $15-$20k OVER LIST don't have one. They could've saved a lot of money.

Old 1/28/08, 05:45 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I think it is a fine comparision. No need to get all sensitive . . . .
Old 1/28/08, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Mustangs that are netting serious dough on the auction are really collector's items due to their supply (hardly many of them left) and condition. It's just like the Dodge Hemi 'Cudas and Chargers are netting a lot of money as well.

The STi and Shelby GT comparison is applicable due to price and performance range. You get your money's worth with the STi but I still think it is overpriced by about $8,000 USD.

Here's a $100k+ Subaru:

That's the 2007 concept WRC car presented at Frankfurt by Petter Solberg.

Here's the current WRC car:
Old 1/28/08, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The first time I saw a Subaru WRX STi was at the drag strip a few years ago (when they first came out).

There were all kinds of ricers at the strip - complete with fart can exhausts and other junk. The rowdy muscle cars were there as well, making the earth shake with the open exhaust systems. Then there were 2 of these OEM-quiet Imprezas that didn't raise anyone's attention. One of them actually went down the track by itself (other lane was empty) and all I saw was this quiet sleeper car running 13.2 in the 1/4 - basically: no show, all go.

I see that there are almost a dozen WRX's and STi's at work and quite frankly, the old styling was a love or hate design.
I never quite liked the styling because they resembled bland Japanese sedans. The new 2008 styling looks more like a crossover SUV/Ford Edge which isn't TOO bad, but I don't like the idea of a timing belt manhandling the 4 camshafts in an interference engine.
Old 1/28/08, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

$100K+ Mustang from FRPP
:

Old 1/28/08, 04:02 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You cant really give the example of a $100,000 Subaru as a rally car, they are all well over 100k. Ford's Focus rally cars are over that as well. What I believe was meant was that noone will pay over 100k for a street Subaru.
Old 1/28/08, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Barrett Jackson is overrated and I don't need to feel good by having other people compliment my car. They are slapping the Shelby name on everything to try and make it a collector's item. Unfortunately, that will never happen with the S197 Shelbys because there are just too many of them to be worth much in the future. Everyone that has one is going to garage their Shelby in the hopes it will rise in value. It's like baseball cards... when moms threw out all of the cards, it drove up the value of rare cards. When everyone started collecting them, the value won't go up much.

I would agree that historically the Impreza looked like total a$$. The 2008-up Impreza 5-door wagon looks rather sleek, like a baby version of the Ford Edge. FYI the Impreza crowd HATES the 2008-up styling.

i wasnt in the 70's but it seems as though there was alot back then too, and now they are collectables. sure the 6 cyls. dont but the fastbacks (alot of those too) are going for **** good money.
I know for sure that in 4-5 years the gt500 will be just like the termy. and in 40 it will be just like its older brother
Old 1/28/08, 08:25 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bluesilentpro
There are several comparisons with Shelby GTs. I think this is silly since a Shelby GT adds almost no performance to the stock GT but throws the Stang close to $40k. Concerning pure power you may compare the STI with the stock GT and you'll find a difference of $10k. Nonetheless this is a ridiculous comparison. People who consider a WRX STI might look for an Audi quattro or an Evo IX but they just don't think about Mustangs or Camaros. For the Stang-lovers it's the other way round.

I like the look, the sound, the raw V8-power and the looks and congratulations from completely strange people everyday. Everybody loves the Mustang (even more in Europe!) but no one even recognizes a Subaru, regardless of its engine.

You just can't compare a faceless ricer with the American legend.
The FR3 kit works pretty well, but you have a few things working against it, 235/50R18 A/S tires and less than perfect suspension geometry, change to a good summer tire and fix the geometry problems and the Shelby GT would be a serious contender. It would certainly best the GT500 in handling at the least.

It would be really neat if the Shelby GT were to employ the GT500 wheels (front tire size only) and brakes in conjunction with the FR3 handling kit (with the aforementioned geometry fixes) while utilizing the warmed over 4.6 3v

Quick Reply: WORST comparison EVER