Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Street Race Poll

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 09:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@June 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
OK... OK... if you'll exceed the speed limit by more than 20 mph, vote go all out... you guys are brave.
Crap, I voted option 2 and I've had mine at 120mph in a 70 going at a 'Vette. I forgot about one night at 2:30 in the morning. Oh well, you get the idea.

Just vote 1) no, 2) sometimes, or 3) anytime.
Old 6/23/05, 09:47 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never been the challenger, and nine times out of ten I won't accept the challenge on the street. But given the right circumstances and right mood, I'll go all out.
Old 6/24/05, 04:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Years ago, out by our airport there was a stretch of road about a mile long that was straight and flat. We marked out a 1/4 mile line and raced there on Friday and Saturday nights. The locals would stay away because they knew what was going on and the cops didn't bother us either. Never had any major accidents, just a roll over once that I can remember that wasn't sreious.

I want to say that I do not condone this.
Racing should be done under the most appropriate conditions.
A race track is the first, best option.

As in my earlier post, I stated that if the right opportunity presents itself I will go for it.

The right conditions to me are:

Non-residential street, period.

Dry roads.

Straight and flat roads.

Very familiar with surroundings.

Know your car. You should take your car to a track and run it to find out what it is capable of and to see what type of quirks it has at high speeds.

I am not talking about racing at 100 MPH + speeds either.
A straight 1/4 mile run and done.

So you young drivers. Heed the advice of some of us old farts.
Have fun, use your head, and think before you go WOT.
Old 6/24/05, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I think at one point or another almost everyone has raced on the street.
In high school, we would go out and look for races, now I don't go looking, but I won't turn down some fun.
Old 6/24/05, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I will race if given the chance and roads are clear and if I know it's competition and not some POS just wanting to see how fast my car disappears in front of him.

Matt
Old 6/24/05, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

my wife plays the part of that little devil that appears on my shoulder telling me to kick some butt..... what am I supposed to do?

however.... there is a lot of disgression to be used ... A LOT.
Old 6/24/05, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just don't do it. I've cleaned up way too many accidents due to street racing. I'll take it to the track thank you...
Old 6/24/05, 09:13 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortunately for me I live out in the country. If I meet up with someone in the city we head out to a country road and race there. There are several 1/4 mile sections marked off in my area. Heck, in my 97 GT I even had a cop meet me out there to see who was faster.
Old 6/24/05, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I open her up whenever possible. There really doesn't even have to be anyone next to me to do it either!

And if there's rice next to me, I'm always hungry.
Old 6/24/05, 02:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the key here is frequency. The more often you engage in these activities, the higher your odds are of getting into some sort of trouble. Be it police, a wreck or whatever, the more you play the better chance you have of having an issue.

The last time I had an all out war was with a Dodge Dakota Sport 5.9 with a turbo slapped on it. I could hear the wastegate WHOOPIN it up. I had the '97 Cobra at the time, and we hit east 120 on the highway, then hit the off ramp at probably 70. I was shocked he managed to keep the truck going without a spin at that speed, but he had modified it pretty well including nice tires. Once we got off the ramp, he hammered it, and so did I. He couldn't get away, but I couldn't pass him. It was a pretty evenly matched pair. Thing is, my Cobra was basically stock with the exception of gears. His truck had lots of stuff done to it and a 5.9 to begin with. I went home feeling pretty good.

Old 6/24/05, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll run someone on the interstate with no traffic and 100+ sure. Don't do the light to light thing because usually when you have traffic lights that means enough congestion and pedestrians and business entrances to warrant traffic lights.

What I hate the most are the ones that weave in and out of traffic and want to run you on busy interstates just to see how many cars they can pass and how far ahead they can get in front of you. :nono:

I've had a 300ZX and a 350Z just this week come up behind me and just have to do everything they could weaving in and out of traffic just to be in front of a new stang. I think it gives them a power trip that they are ahead of me and then they probably go into work boasting they beat me. :notnice:
Old 6/25/05, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I race atleast once a week, when i see something good enough to get me out of lazy mode, otherwise im lazy, laid back, don't care, because traffic stinks.
Old 6/25/05, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I really don't get those guys who weave in and out of traffic. I've seen Ricers with fartcans and performance cars below/equal to/higher than my car's performance levels weave in and out of heavy traffic parkway like madmen just to get ahead of me. I couldn't believe it. This behavior seems to run across the board and is not exclusive to Ricers. It must be craptastic movies like The Fast & The Furious that "inspire" people to behave like such morons.
Old 9/19/05, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Like most of the people her i'm always ready for some rice. But thats if theres clear roads for a long ways ahead. Those idiots dodging through cars in the Integras and Civics really **** me off cause they are the ones that cause the big 8 or 10 car pile-ups.
Old 9/20/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

#2 and thats only happened 2 or 3 times, but every time it was with a full car so the ricer had 4 people laughing at him while we passed him I always have ricers rev their fartcans at me and i just laugh and keep driving.
Old 9/22/05, 10:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer the track for actual drag racing, its to risky otherwise, although I have to admit, I've done a bit of street racing, and err....passing on the highway at triple digit speeds. My top speed in my 02 was just north of 140 mph while taking a trip to see my brother in kansas. Nice open straight highway there.
Old 9/29/05, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I will race people, but not stupidly. To many people, I will not race. I will race if the conditions are right.

The best and most fun race I ever had was with an M3. I had 3 people in the car with me and I still beat him. He had a girl and who knows what else in their.
Old 10/4/05, 05:47 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

NOTHING RUNS FASTER THAN A SCARED MEXICAN BANDIDO!!!
Old 10/4/05, 07:38 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, I know things have been getting moved to a lot of dumb places lately... but how the heck does a street race poll get placed in 'which is better'?
Old 10/14/05, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Like most people on here, I'll bite if baited, but only if I feel the conditions are safe. Sometimes, I'll even provoke it.

That being said, my races are kitty. The last race I was in involved going 50 mph to 80 against a 04 Eclipse (on a 65 mph highway). I got on it just enough to show him that he didn't stand a chance, then left off. I do that kind of poo all the time.

Quick Reply: Street Race Poll