Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics
View Poll Results: Would you trade your GT in for a Challenger if they came out today?
Yes - that ***** is bad
15.87%
I think its sweet but no way
51.59%
Not a chance in Hell
32.54%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Saw the Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/07, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-challenger.html

Check out these new pics that are suppsoed to be of the production version. I say it still looks awesome even with the B pillar and various changes. For those that didn't like the concept taillights, they are split now.

Someone should ahve added another voting option: Buy a challenger to park next to your mustang! That's the route I'd like to go with!
Old 10/17/07, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I don't think hp alone will persuade the buyers. The mustang had less hp then the camaro nearly every year yet the mustang out sold the camaro/firebird 2 to 1 the last 10 years of the f-body existance.
\
Yeah, but like I said, that was years ago when far more people knew something about cars. Now, most people's knowledge of cars extends from the color through to the interior options, and that's it.

If you work in an office, just ask around about what cars people think are good. You'll likely get a majority of answers centered around looks, the stereo, leather options, mpg, and HP comparisons. If someone actually knows the difference between a multi link suspension and a 3-point suspension, or what SOHC means, or gearing ratios, I'd be surprised.

No, if the challenger/camero/whatever looks sharp, has a sharp stereo, and rates at a higher HP than the Mustang, it will sell over the mustang. The only exception would be if the price was significantly different.
Old 10/17/07, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That thing is pretty slick....I wonder what the six-er eddition will look like....Its like Ford comming out with the GT500 first, then expcting people to not know the difference between it, and the GT or V6.
Old 11/1/07, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

There is a good chance that a v-6 will not be produced. Dodge is looking at this car like Ford looked at the GT500. Limited run, high mark-ups. No normal joe is going to be able to afford this car. Dodge dealerships and salesmen are drooling at the possible markups. It will be sad!

The 340 HP version might be in the $30's
The 425 HP version will be in the 50-60+ after dealer markup.
Old 11/1/07, 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I recently worked at a Dodge dealership and what i was told by the sales manager is that the Challenger is at a base of 60k and no six banger is availible It is suppost to be a much smaller run than the mustang or camaro. I still don't think what he said makes sense but either way though i have heard of it only being in V8 trim
Old 11/1/07, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

From what I've read the first versions will have the 6.1 V8, either 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto and be priced starting at least 35K

They've added a bif B-pillar, which i thought they'd have to, but it distracts from the car. One big hit about the concept was that it was a true hard top.

Interesting pictures here, including a 'body in white' Look at that huge tunnel.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-challenger.html
Old 11/2/07, 07:34 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
so now it seems they`re just going to build a 2 door charger ??
Old 11/2/07, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks nice, But I wouldn't trade either of mine for it (GTO or Z28). If I had a Mustang I wouldn't either probably. I'm die hard GM my wife's die hard Ford (although the GTO is starting to gain some serious ground with her)so that leaves the Slopars out. Plus I'll be getting the Vert Camaro for sure when it comes out and the wife will probably finally get her Mustang when the Escape is paid for. I'll just enjoy showing them what GM taillights look like, and since I can't have the wife getting shown out, I'm sure her mustang will have no problems with it either.
Old 11/2/07, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
so now it seems they`re just going to build a 2 door charger ??
I thought that was always the plan, as the Challenger is being built on the same platform as the Charger/300/Magnum?
Old 11/2/07, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

It is a hell of a platform but its a little too big n' heavy for a mid sized sports car. As powerful as the challenger is gonna be i think its performance numbers will not be as good as expected.kinda like the GT500. I have a feeling this car will be even heavier than the GT500 but its gonna have flashy 20' wheels and its gonna be a cool cruiser but very expensive. I say ford's main concern is gonna be the new Camaro. The challenger is only gonna be in competiton with the GT500, not the GT or V6 stangs.
Old 11/2/07, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's a really cool car, but I would stick with a Stang...if I had one
Old 11/3/07, 08:29 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
It is a hell of a platform but its a little too big n' heavy for a mid sized sports car. As powerful as the challenger is gonna be i think its performance numbers will not be as good as expected.kinda like the GT500. I have a feeling this car will be even heavier than the GT500 but its gonna have flashy 20' wheels and its gonna be a cool cruiser but very expensive. I say ford's main concern is gonna be the new Camaro. The challenger is only gonna be in competiton with the GT500, not the GT or V6 stangs.
The Challenger is no pony car, despite its roots, think more along the lines of Monte Carlo and Thunderbird (when they were four seater cars), thats the current challenger and actually closer in concept to the muscle car rather than our own Mustang.

Although since it was one of the original pony cars, the comparisons will be inevitable.
Old 11/3/07, 08:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree with the Challenger's roots being a true muscle car but the new 08' car is being built as a direct competitor to the Mustang (mid size) . Back in the day the Challenger was more compairible to the Chevelle, Fairlane, GTO. Now none of those cars exsist.
Old 11/4/07, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

One is due back in 2011 (GTO). The "muscle wars" are definately on the way back. I know on the GM side there is alot comming in the next few years. Still waiting to see a new Falcon or Fairlane or even a hopped up RWD V8 Taurus.
Old 11/4/07, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I herd about the new GTO but i think its gonna be a mid-size, basicaly its replacing the Firebird as the Camaro's cousin which I think is bull, the firebird was always the camaro twin why change it now? I say bring back the firebird kill the GTO for good or make it a bigger car kinda like a two door Malibu
Old 11/5/07, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I herd about the new GTO but i think its gonna be a mid-size, basicaly its replacing the Firebird as the Camaro's cousin which I think is bull, the firebird was always the camaro twin why change it now? I say bring back the firebird kill the GTO for good or make it a bigger car kinda like a two door Malibu
I think Pontiac having the GTO as opposed to a Firebird makes better sense. There is only a limited market for pony cars, and with the Stang, Camaro and Challenger, that field is getting real crowded real fast. A Firebird, i.e., Pontiac Camaro, would just crowd the field that much more with an essentially redundant car that would certainly cannibalize sales from the Camaro.

A GTO, on the other hand, presumably a somewhat larger, more luxurious gentleman's muscle/GT car, would instead add a distinctive upscale performance model to Pontiac's and GM's lineup, one with a name a legacy that surpasses even the Firebird.

The Challenger I would imagine would slot somewhere between these two cars, being perhaps a notch up in both size and price to the Camaro/Stang, but not quite the midsize GT car that the GTO would likely be. Of course, there's going to be a LOT of overlap in appeal, marketing and sales amongst all these cars.
Old 11/5/07, 09:15 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, Rhumb is right about the Firebird, not to mention engineering and other resources, during the F4 era, the Firebird got the lion's share of money alloted to the F-twins, recieving several styling updates to both the interior and exterior despite being lower in sales compared to the Camaro which in that same span received only minor if any changes at all.
Old 11/5/07, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

I thought the new Camaro and GTO were going to be on the same platform? If that is the case how different are they gonna be?
Old 11/5/07, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Zeta platform is for lack of a better term modular. It can be stretched or widened and change without tooling a whole different chassis. A good clue is to look at holdens cars. Go to Holdens website and check out their top end line. All the cars but one have the same engine/trans suspension, and very very similar interiors yet there are 5 different vehicles of differing size, weight, luxury. The Impala, Camaro, G8, GTO, and CTS are all supposed to be Zeta arcitecture but all are going to be different scale cars. However, The GTO is supposed to be to the Camaro what the Firebird was though. They are going to share much more than just a Chassis. I agree that the GTO is supposed to be a bit larger of a car than the classic "pony" recipe, (as it was in the heyday) but supposedly the GTO will come back with many shared features of the Camaro. I'm hoping it wont be the offspring the G8 and Camaro.
Old 11/9/07, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Hey Slim, your a "GM" guy right? My friend got a big promotion and is looking to upgrade from his 99' Z28 any rumors what the next gen Z28, SS are gonna have for output?

Quick Reply: Saw the Challenger