Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Mustang beats GTO in motor trend comparison

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I am absolutly floored by some of the things said in this thread. I have no desire to start an arguement here but I mean come on...

1. Whether you like the looks of a GTO or not is irrelevant, that is a subjective category and has nothing to do with performance or value. I love the appearance of my GTO.

2. I paid 26k for my 04 GTO, although the GTO is still a performance/luxury bargain at sticker price.

3. When you actually see a GTO in person, it looks nothing like a Grand Prix, all they share is the grille, as do all Pontiacs. Pictures of the new GTO do not do it justice.

4. Who is to say that the GTO does not live up to it's name? What is a "real" GTO? The fact is that the 04/05 GTO are the fastest and most agile GTO's ever made. And who other than Pontiac has the right to decide what the new GTO should look like? I mean look at the Mustang, up until the recent retro styling, the current Stang looked NOTHING like the originals...the only reason the "purists" didn't complain about that is because there was not a 30 year gap between production and we were able to watch the Mustang evolve. If the GTO had never "gone away", and we would have been able to watch it evolve, who is to say that it would not look just like the 04/05 does now? The fact is that we don't know.

5. Magazine comparos mean nothing...I know a lot of you made that same arguement back when many magazines compared the 03/04 Cobras with the 03/04 LS1 Vettes. And magazine opinions can be bought...I have already raced a handful of 05 GT Stangs at the track and on the street and it has never even been close. Saying the 05 GT Stang is faster than the 04 goat is in no way accurate. I really like the new Stang but to say that it is a superior car to either the 04 or 05 goat based on almost nothing but appearance is pretty ridicuous. They are both great cars and they both have their own attractive attributes.

6. And I just can't leave this alone: "4.6 > LS2...its just that simple" is nothing short of laughable.

I am not trying to start an arguement here...just sharing my opinion...I hope you all can take it for what it is worth. As I have already stated on this forum, I am a car lover and unfortunatly I cannot afford to have more than one performance car at the same time right now, so I chose the GTO...but I almost bought a 03/04 Cobra, 03/04 Mach 1 and the 05 GT Stang before I decided on the GTO. They are all awesome cars, I have always been and will continue to be a Mustang fan but I just could not leave this thread alone. I may regret making my opinion known here, but as I said, some of the things said in this thread are just unreal.

Wow, that was a long post. Sorry about that.
Old 1/27/05, 12:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by BlueSuperGoat@January 20, 2005, 6:05 PM
... it looks nothing like a Grand Prix...
True. Resembles the Grand Am-Cavalier family tree a lot more. No appeal, no personality of its own. A total POS.

Regardless of promotions, ads, and pep rallies GM decides on, it won't change the reality of its design. Hint: Sales is the ultimate deciding factor for the future of any product. The GTO is not exempted, it's survival will depend on dumping its pre Clinton era design.
Old 1/27/05, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+January 27, 2005, 2:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ January 27, 2005, 2:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BlueSuperGoat@January 20, 2005, 6:05 PM
True. Resembles the Grand Am-Cavalier family tree a lot more. No appeal, no personality of its own. A total POS.
[/b][/quote]

Its looks might be a bit on the vanilla side, but a POS?

Please. Get a grip.
Old 1/27/05, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+January 27, 2005, 1:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ January 27, 2005, 1:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BlueSuperGoat@January 20, 2005, 6:05 PM

Regardless of promotions, ads, and pep rallies GM decides on, it won't change the reality of its design. Hint: Sales is the ultimate deciding factor for the future of any product. The GTO is not exempted, it's survival will depend on dumping its pre Clinton era design.
[/b][/quote]

Um, last I checked almost all of the 04's are now sold. Sales were a little slow to start due to dealer price gouging but I think the sales ended up doing just fine.

You can say the car resembles whatever you want, because that is subjective and a matter of opinion. But a POS? Have you ever even seen a GTO? Check out the pics I posted in the intro section and the off topic section...and I am pulling 13.1's in the quarter...POS? Give me a break. Why do you feel the need to disrespect a car just because you don't like it? Oh well, you can't expect everyone to be rational and reasonable.
Old 1/27/05, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

I saw and have heard a GTO, i went to the dealer when they came out because i heard of the power and so-called good looks, it looked horrible, and I HATED the interior and RED guages. who wants red face guages YUCK! they sound OK, not loud or throaty in my opinion. It needs a REAL dual exhaust not a single pipe with a ricer muffler. It also looks like a Grand AM as George said. IMO
Old 1/27/05, 03:21 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 27, 2005, 4:17 PM
I saw and have heard a GTO, i went to the dealer when they came out because i heard of the power and so-called good looks, it looked horrible, and I HATED the interior and RED guages. who wants red face guages YUCK! they sound OK, not loud or throaty in my opinion. It needs a REAL dual exhaust not a single pipe with a ricer muffler. It also looks like a Grand AM as George said. IMO
:nono: It is a true dual exhaust. There is no single pipe, not sure where you got that from. Maybe you were looking at a Grand AM. GTO's have 2 separate pipes, two separate mufflers, it is actually a true dual pipe system, they just both exit in the same place. You need to edumacate yourself before you say things like that. And my gauges are blue; only the black, red and silver goats got the red gauges. You are obviously entitled to your opinions and I can respect that. But I am going to correct you when you say something that is completley incorrect or does not apply to all GTO's.
Old 1/27/05, 05:30 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, please no mudslinging, try and keep this a healthy intellegent debate.
Old 1/27/05, 06:13 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The GTO reminds me of Howard Dean, his landmark scream, and the band of sheep in the background giving him a standing ovation.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eace:
Old 1/27/05, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

So much for intelligent debate.

You're calling it a POS then complain about the gauges and interior? And getting the exhaust wrong?

At least get your facts straight. Ironically what you're doing is the equivalent of screaming without listening to those around you. Repeat it enough and you might believe it, but that doesn't make it true or anywhere near accurate.
Old 1/28/05, 01:46 PM
GTR Member

Exhaust came out of the same spot and it was attached to each other on the GTO i saw and it had a 30k dollar price tag, and said GTO on it. I know what i looked at. It was black with Fugly red guages. It is EASILY mistaken for a grand Am.
Old 1/28/05, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 28, 2005, 2:49 PM
Exhaust came out of the same spot and it was attached to each other on the GTO i saw and it had a 30k dollar price tag, and said GTO on it. I know what i looked at. It was black with Fugly red guages. It is EASILY mistaken for a grand Am.
Sorry buddy, you are mistaken, do I need to take a picture for you? And it is only easily mistaken for a Grand Am if you don't know your cars...and apparently you don't.

Let's see if you can manage to decipher the attached diagram that shows the GTO's jacking points and also clearly shows the exhaust system. There is not even a "x" or "h" pipe. It is a true dual out.

I read through some of your old posts, this is all coming from someone who claims to "know" people that have run 11's in a stock 03 cobra? And then when some of your forum members called you on it, you backtracked by saying, oh yeah sorry, I read it in a magazine? :scratch:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...03&#entry220703 see post 18 and what follows it, apparently I am not the only person that knows you are clueless.

Think before you speak man, I promise it will make life easier for you.

EDIT: Sorry, I was in a pretty bad mood when I wrote this, so I kinda took it too far, but I still stand by the fact that you shouldn't talk about things you don't know about. The GTO has a true dual out, period. You are simply confused. I apologize for the rude post.
Old 1/28/05, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Man, what a "fugly" car.
Old 1/28/05, 09:11 PM
GTR Member

hey, I dont wanna start a fight. the only one i saw I HATED. I like yours, very nice. Just not my kinda car and it is overweight and beat by the Mach 1 so I just disliked em all cuz i saw a few and hated em. The ONLY one I like is yours. I have never liked em until i saw a blue one and I still dont like em, but yours looks good. IMO Do not take my opinion personally. I dont want to start anything
Old 1/28/05, 09:17 PM
GTR Member

i made a mistake by believeing a Brochure/magazine thing i found. You seem reasonable, so I am not gonna fight you on the GTO stuff. I like yours and do not like the other combos. I straitene dout the cobra thing and I am not mad about your post, I would be mad if you dissed my GTO if I had one. Sorry about that.
Old 1/28/05, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

You guys have it all wrong. The GTO is just a sleeper muscle car with very bland styling. It is NOT an American car however. It is an Aussy...

There is a reason why you can get the GTO for several thousand below sticker and the Mustang cost MSRP ( or better). It is called style. Americans have always prefered a car with great looks over a bland car that is only slightly faster....

It will out run the 05 Mustang GT on a drag strip and would lose on a road course.

On the other hand, you can put about $650 worth of mods on the Mustang and it will beat the GTO at the strip. The difference is, after the mods, the Mustang will still look great and the GTO will still look bland......

The GTO looks like an unholy union of the Honda Accord and a Chevy Impala....

However, if you want a "GET NO ATTENTION" sleeper that can run, the GTO is the ticket....
Old 1/28/05, 09:24 PM
GTR Member

sranger-You got it man. Thanks for dredirecting this thread. you're right the GTO would make a good sleeper. I have a vid of a 10.44 1/4 mile supercharged GTO from Australia, I will find the link and post it soon
Old 1/28/05, 11:15 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate your replys. Like the GTO or not, I do like to see your opinions...I just want them to be factual at least. Thanks for the intellegent posts...you and yours have only spoken for the collective group that is TMS, which I have found to be the best and most respective mustang site on the net. I look forward to sharing opnions and info with eacthother. Thanks very much for tolerating me so far.
Old 1/29/05, 10:39 AM
GTR Member

Shane, How fast does that GTO of yours go? 160 or so?
Old 1/29/05, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 29, 2005, 11:42 AM
Shane, How fast does that GTO of yours go? 160 or so?
Yeah, I think in stock form it goes up to 161 I believe...not 100% sure there though...I have only had it up to the mid 130's so far. :shock:
Old 1/29/05, 05:56 PM
GTR Member

My Uncle runs his 4x4 F-150 up to 128 all the time.....