Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Manual or Auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/08, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatics have caught up to manuals in terms of performance and fuel economy pretty much.

It really all comes down to what you feel more comfortable driving.
Old 5/22/08, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on if you want to drive or just ride.

Like I said in my first reply. It really depends on if you want to drive or just ride.

Originally Posted by 1999 Black 35th GT
Automatics have caught up to manuals in terms of performance and fuel economy pretty much.

It really all comes down to what you feel more comfortable driving.
Old 5/22/08, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Like I said in my first reply. It really depends on if you want to drive or just ride.
Actually with either you're riding, if you want to really "drive", get a motorcycle and then you'll know what it's like to really be one with your vehicle.

I've always thought the manual/auto debate funny. You never hear about AC/non AC, power/no power steering, power/no power brakes, etc.

IMHO there's no car you can buy new today that you're actually "driving". My dad's 70 Dodge Demon you had to DRIVE. No power anything and three on the tree.
Old 5/22/08, 02:38 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

My Blue Heaven you are right on there brother! i just hope they don't take manual trans away... otherwise i wil be in a truck!
Old 5/23/08, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
im not saying DSG is bad, it just isnt for me, I miss my old pickup with a manual transmission. It had 280k on it, and 150k on the clutch, and was better than my auto now, that only has 120k on it, i just like having a clutch pedal
wait, dude, you have 120k miles on which car? is it a late model stang?
Old 5/24/08, 11:57 PM

I have an automatic tranny in my 08 Blue Shelby GT Vert and I love it.

While it is not as powerful or sporty as the manual tranny, it is anything but boring.

It is a thrill a minute and has plenty of power for me. I don't autocross or take it to the track (although I could if I wanted).

I rented the Shelby GT-H convertible and the Hertz Shelby's are all automatic transmissions. I specifically ordered my SGT with automatic tranny after the experience.
Old 5/26/08, 10:19 PM
GT Member

I ordered my 2008 with a manual. After I first took delivery I wasnt sure if I made the right choice. It felt like a lot of work just to drive. 9 months later I am glad I got the manual.
Old 5/26/08, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Generally:

Stick: lighter, cheaper, simpler, more efficient, more economical, more involving, more control. Basically the better performance option, though more work to drive.

Auto: heavier, more costly, more complex, less efficient, less economical, less involving, less control. Basically the better daily and traffic option, though less fun or fast to drive.

That said, I think the future is clearly the new DSG type trannies as currently found in various VWs and Audis. They seem to be truly the best of both worlds, offering the ease of driving of a traditional autobox when just cruising and in traffic, but all the control and better of a manual tranny, plus lightening-fast shifts, along with the power and efficiency benefits. I predict that these things will eventually supplant both current traditional autos and manuals over time.
This is the perfect way of describing it! Nothing to add!
Old 5/30/08, 04:04 PM
V6 Member

I chose an automatic for some of the reasons you've seen stated here: my car's a daily driver and about half of that time is spent in stop & go traffic. It was convenient but felt a little sluggish off the line, and I wondered for a while if I'd made the right choice.
But there was salvation.
For anyone getting an automatic I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting an aftermarket tune (Diablosport or SCT or whatever) and a CAI, like I did. Those relatively simple mods made a huge difference. At the very least, you will be able to keep up with (or beat) just about any stock Mustang w/a manual tranny. Plus, you improve the mileage.

Just my .02.

Last edited by RobRob; 5/30/08 at 04:05 PM. Reason: I don't like misspelled words in my posts.
Old 5/30/08, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

my 92 F 150 has 276 927 miles on it. It has a 300 inline 6 and has a auto tranny its pretty quick but when i get a mustang its gonna be a standard
Old 5/30/08, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobRob
I chose an automatic for some of the reasons you've seen stated here: my car's a daily driver and about half of that time is spent in stop & go traffic. It was convenient but felt a little sluggish off the line, and I wondered for a while if I'd made the right choice.
But there was salvation.
For anyone getting an automatic I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting an aftermarket tune (Diablosport or SCT or whatever) and a CAI, like I did. Those relatively simple mods made a huge difference. At the very least, you will be able to keep up with (or beat) just about any stock Mustang w/a manual tranny. Plus, you improve the mileage.

Just my .02.
Now add a stall and a manual tranny car would need several more mods to keep up.
Old 5/30/08, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bigaloz
I'd be willing to bet that on evenly matched cars 9 out of 10 times, the auto will win hands down.
Put a stall in said auto and the auto will win everytime garunteed.

I'm a huge proponent of stalled autos can ya tell?
Old 5/31/08, 10:57 PM
V6 Member

Okay, you got me.
What's a stall?
Old 5/31/08, 11:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Stall = Higher stall speed torque converter - increased torque multiplication typically at a decrease in effeciency (shows up as higher trans temps)
Old 6/3/08, 05:07 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

My main gripe about autos is, you hit the gas, it thinks, and then it shifts. Those are fractions of a second that I need when trying to merge onto a Cali freeway from a meter light, or turning left across a major 4 lane street.

Plus, mama raced stock cars. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like the feeling of moving through the gears, with clutch and stick.

BUT, like most have said, the Auto Stangs are pretty quick betties and they'll get ya there in plenty of time, style, and class. They have come a long way from autos of old. I was raised that an auto sports car is against the law... LOL Heck, I didnt even know Stangs came in auto til I was in highschool.

It REALLY does depend on how you are driving it, why you are driving it, and what kind of driving you are going to be doing the most of. Hubby rarely takes the pony to work because his commute is 45 miles one way, over three freeways, and two counties. The plate holding together his shattered tibia is normally givin him grief by the time the ride is over. Even though some of the back roads, and one or two of those off ramps are hella fun!

If you are commuting in traffic regularly, get an auto. When its time to stretch her legs, she will be fine, and still a ton of fun. If you dont feel the need to be THAT in control, and want to just enjoy the feel of the car, get an auto.

Otherwise, IMHO stick is the only way to go.

Funny story: When I was waiting for my 05 to be delivered, I went and checked out a couple at a local dealership. The guys there saw this chick come bounding into the lot eyes all aglow for a Stang. They stuck me with this 19yr kid who didnt know a Mustang from a Charger. He had the nerve to tell me, "Oh, I am sorry ma'am, Ford is not producing GTs with manual transmissions for the 05 model." I almost fell out of the car laughing... Gotta give it to him for trying to sell those autos!
Old 6/4/08, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobRob
Okay, you got me.
What's a stall?
A higher stall torque converter will slip to a higher RPM. For instance my Camaro with a 3600 stall. I can mash the gas and it will take off at no less than 3800 RPM and stay there during the shifts to climb again. If I run it the RPM's never drop below 3800 keeping the engine in the powerband the entire time and I never drop below 300 HP. It makes a huge difference. Say for instance you mash the gas on yours from a dead stop the rpms would start around 2000 where you are only making 150ish HP and gradually climb. When it shifts the rpms drop again to the low hp levels. With a stall your RPMs would start pulling when the engine is making 250+ and when it changes gears, same thing it drops to the stall rpm instead of lugging at 2K. It is almost like dumping the clutch at the RPM of the stall, only not a drastic hit like a clutch drop. You just take off. They don't make power but when they take off it will feel like you just added 100 HP. Bad side is you will need a trans cooler (very easy install and cheap) as they do generate more heat. Most stall manufacturers garuntee a .5 second drop in time with a 3K or more stall. Mine gained that much or more from just that. Best mod to date including the change from 2.73 to 4.11 gears, Cam, headers tune etc.
Old 6/4/08, 03:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Manual. You get better gas mileage and you are actaully doing something instead of sitting there.
Old 6/14/08, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

I prefer Auto, itīs really comfortable in heavy traffic and itīs funny to put the pedal to the metal and have a lot of fun to accelerate the vehicle....

Ok, the auto have got a little bit fewer mpg and a fewer top speed/acceleration but i can live with that...