Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Interesting Read Honda Civic Si vs Ford Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/06, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I came across this in the Toronto Star. It's quite interesting, the person says "The base V6 powered Mustang just does not cut the Mustard and so it is the GT that is pitted against the Civic Si."

From reading the article I would say the V6 beats it all departments HP, Torque, 0-60. Anyway...

Thought you'd all like a read [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

FYI. Normally we read the National Post, but lately we've been getting the Toronto Star for free at the door. Maybe they're losing readers because of junk like this.

Link to Full-size 1600x1200 Article (jpg)

Link to Article in PDF format

Enjoy!

I gotta say I think i bought the wrong car... YEA RIGHT!!!...
Old 2/17/06, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fastrack @ February 17, 2006, 9:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi all,

I came across this in the Toronto Star. It's quite interesting, the person says "The base V6 powered Mustang just does not cut the Mustard and so it is the GT that is pitted against the Civic Si."

From reading the article I would say the V6 beats it all departments HP, Torque, 0-60. Anyway...

Thought you'd all like a read [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

FYI. Normally we read the National Post, but lately we've been getting the Toronto Star for free at the door. Maybe they're losing readers because of junk like this.

Link to Full-size 1600x1200 Article

Enjoy!

[/b][/quote]

After reading the article, it almost seems like the writer is trying to justify purchasing the Honda to themselves.

He basically said that he gives the nod to the Honda because of fit and finish at the end of the article. These are two TOTALLY different cars and he should have compared the V6 to the Honda. Look at the numbers alone, the Mustang GT totally obliterates the Honda Si, except in breaking (and do you think that there is probably a significant weight difference between the two to cause the extra meter of stopping distance?). heck, the Mustang even has more TRUNK SPACE. I never thought I'd see that...lol.
Old 2/17/06, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Meh,
Sounds like the guy is doing his best to convince himself that the Si he bought is the better purchase...

Those ain't dealer plates on that Si....

What I find funny is I can fit more groceries in my pony car, than he can in his grocery getter [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I could see how some average joe would like the Civic better, just because it takes basically no brains to drive smooth...
Old 2/17/06, 08:37 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grahame Fletcher wrote the article... if you watch motoring 2006 up in Canada, he tends to be very opinionated

While you can't beat hondas for a light clutch pedal, to call the Mustang's heavy is an abomination and a ridiculous statement.

I think the Civic Si is a fantastic car and would probably be looking for one if I wanted a small sporty 4-banger, but this is really an apples-to-oranges comparison
Old 2/17/06, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's one of the most ill-conceived comparisons I've ever seen...apples to bowling *****...
Old 2/17/06, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Regardless of the comparison, I'd take the Civic SI fully loaded with Navi for 22,300 over a fully loaded Mustang V6. The Civic SI is a very nice car with tons of mod potential. Just because it doesn't say Ford and isn't made by an American car company doesn't mean it's crap.
Old 2/17/06, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm kinda confused. The GT would blow that away so I don't see how you cna really compare them. And from the specs of the civic, how can you say the mustang V6 just dosn't cut it???
Old 2/17/06, 09:16 AM
GT Member

So the Civic is "Ali" and the Mustang is "Frazier" ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] The Civic is more like Gary Coleman...
What a stupid comparison. The Mustang V6 "can't cut the mustard"? If the Mustang V6 can't "cut the mustard" with 210 hp, then why can the Civic SI with 197 hp?
Old 2/17/06, 10:15 AM
FR500 Member

all i know is that the mustang is goliath and the civic is some nergy 9th grader and goliath is hungry and pissed this time around....
Old 2/17/06, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

The Civic is a nice car, but the Mustang (V6 or GT) is a timeless classic.
Old 2/17/06, 10:29 AM
Banned

A lot of comments most I agree with, but I guess the point of me posting this, was the article basically said the V6 stang was a hunk. And comparing the Civic SI to a Mustang GT is just a joke.

Galaxie I've never seen Motoring 2006 but I'll have to check it out next time it's on!

bpmurr, I'm not saying the Civic is crap (I'm not a huge Honda fan). But the basis of the comparision is a joke. If your talking mods etc.. interior quality etc.. (Coffee cans?? Wings??... I know the ricer math but I didn't think that stuff actually added HP)

The V6 and GT have the same interior, so if it comes down to Motor (HP, Torque etc... the V6 could "cut the mustard" in my view).
Old 2/17/06, 10:44 AM
I Have Admin Envy

The civic Si would have been better compared to a (now gone) SVT focus.

The V6, would probably be a bit slower, just because the car is heavier

Next he is going compare a 300C with a prius
Old 2/17/06, 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone, I just googled this guy, Graeme Fletcher, and I found his email address! I'm going to email him, to ask him what we has thinking in comparing the Si vs. the GT. If anyone else wants to have a little (clean) fun, and emphasis on clean, his email address is graeme@motoringtv.com. Just cut and paste in your email sender. Lets see what he has to say. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Hey Moderators, could you, as a favor for all of us who have already posted in this topic, put this back in the 2005-2008 Mustang section? I ask, so others can get this joker's email address, and email him up, to voice their opinion in regards to his off the wall comparison. I don't think many more will see this topic, and get his email address in this sub-section. This can be sort of like the reviewer of the Steve McQueen Ford commercial. We flooded his email account with our opinions, and he retracted his comments on the commercial. Hopefully this guy will do the same, or at least say the car is better than he gives it credit for. Thanks in advance, if you could.
Old 2/17/06, 02:54 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fastrack @ February 17, 2006, 6:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi all,

Link to Full-size 1600x1200 Article (jpg)

Link to Article in PDF format

Enjoy!

[/b][/quote]This guy just doesn't get it.

Let's face it. The Mustang is not about refinement, it's about FUN. It's about being one with the mechanics of the beast. That's we GT guys love the roar of our V8s and throaty exhaust notes. Our Mustangs are about DRIVING, not being encased in a cushy cocoon, devoid of any real connection with our machine.

Fools like this will never understand....
Old 2/18/06, 02:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Now if the Civic came with racing stripes it might be faster.
Old 2/18/06, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CannonBaller @ February 18, 2006, 4:17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Now if the Civic came with racing stripes it might be faster.
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/18/06, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Fletcher is very opinionated and seems to love anything European or Asian. In fact the whole bunch of them on that show except Bill Gardiner,the shop guy, don't seem to have a lot of use for North American cars. I ,no offence, think it is sort of a Toronto mind set.
Old 2/18/06, 10:17 AM
FR500 Member

how much horsepower does the v-tec sticker add??
Old 2/18/06, 10:49 AM
Big Falken Tires

I don't know what to say because I couldn;t read the article........

I am not fluent in dork-an-eeese......
Old 2/18/06, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] What's next for this guy. A Golf compared to and Explorer? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Interesting Read Honda Civic Si vs Ford Mustang GT