Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

A few racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/06, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie
Do you guys want to keep this discussion going? I already know which direction this thread is going

To the drag racing guru's here, i'll be posting my first official time slip scans for your scrutiny very soon.
Cant wait to see it................
Old 5/31/06, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
You guys aren't going to change anyone's mind on forums by running your mouth on how dangerous street racing is.
Exactly what I said earlier... you'll have to outgrow your immaturity first. Hopefully, you won't kill anyone in the meantime.

Originally Posted by don_w
No one is going to change their opinion on this subject solely based on the posts in this thread. Only maturity will change minds... until then, some guys will continue to insist that street racing is OK. Once they finally mature, they'll see the light.
Old 5/31/06, 04:40 PM

Most of the police depts. here have programs like the ones mentioned. They have "beat the heat" and a few others. I'm not saying that there are more accidents in street racing than there are in traffic accidents. I'm not saying that driving in traffic daily isn't dangerous. I'm saying that street racing is careless and creating more opportunities for accidents. I'm saying it's safer to race at a track than it is on the streets. I'm also saying that I think it's dumb to make a thread about such carelessness. Building a track in evey town is constricted by costs, land, maintenance, etc. It can run well over a million dollars just to lay the track itself-concrete/ashpalt. Not including the land itself. The bad thing about street racing, besides the lack of safety measures, is that when you race...your adrenaline is pumping and tend to take more risks. When you're at the track, your adrenaline is pumping, but you're within walls and have a clear start/finish. The only other person possibly at risk is the opposing driver.
You make it sound like b/c the media makes a big deal about street racing, and there are more accidents in traffic that street racing should be acceptable. It's simply immature and careless b/c you're endangering others besides yourself...as well as breaking the law.
Old 5/31/06, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
You make it sound like b/c the media makes a big deal about street racing, and there are more accidents in traffic that street racing should be acceptable. It's simply immature and careless b/c you're endangering others besides yourself...as well as breaking the law.
I am playing the part of the devils advocate, but people break the law everyday during driving. EVERYONE speeds and commits numerous driving violations during their daily commute. Hell some of the mods we all apply to our car are illegal. Like I stated above, street racing has been blown way out of proportion due to the media and police. Why not go after the women putting on makeup or the guy reading the map while driving? Those are the type of events that DO cause accidents(reference the statistic I posted above about driver distractions). Again, street racing is small potatoes compared to various other causes of motor vehicle accidents.

FYI....I don't street race anymore, but do like to flog my car in areas I know there is no traffic. Also, there is no "Beat the Heat" nights in the Chicagoland area. The only track I know of that is open on Friday nights is Great Lakes Dragway all the way up in Wisconsin.
Old 5/31/06, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Exactly what I said earlier... you'll have to outgrow your immaturity first. Hopefully, you won't kill anyone in the meantime.
I don't street race for my own personal safety. I'm lucky to have a track that is so open to weekend warriors like myself. I also don't criticize people for street racing in the the safest way possible becuase I can see why some do it. Dodging through traffic at 100 mph and racing on abandoned roads are very, very different things. Everyone needs to stop telling people how to think and let them make up their own minds.
Old 5/31/06, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
I am playing the part of the devils advocate, but people break the law everyday during driving. EVERYONE speeds and commits numerous driving violations during their daily commute. Hell some of the mods we all apply to our car are illegal. Like I stated above, street racing has been blown way out of proportion due to the media and police. Why not go after the women putting on makeup or the guy reading the map while driving? Those are the type of events that DO cause accidents(reference the statistic I posted above about driver distractions). Again, street racing is small potatoes compared to various other causes of motor vehicle accidents.

FYI....I don't street race anymore, but do like to flog my car in areas I know there is no traffic. Also, there is no "Beat the Heat" nights in the Chicagoland area. The only track I know of that is open on Friday nights is Great Lakes Dragway all the way up in Wisconsin.
All the examples you mentioned above have one thing in common....they all can cause accidents that could be avoided. Put your lipstick on at home and avoid an accident. Race at the track, avoid putting someone else in harms way. Regardless of stats, maturity level, availability of a race track etc., street racing is simply creating the odds of an accident. This thread isn't about traffic accidents or people talking on their cell phones. It's about street racing.

No one here has divided street racing into two catogories-a) desolate streets b) in traffic. I don't think street racing and safety belong in the same sentence. Any story you see on the news is of some clown racing thru traffic, wrecking into some parked car or hitting a person at a bus stop. It's not too often you hear about a couple cars on some desolate road having accidents.
I flog my car quite a bit on some of our back country roads as well. I don't race anyone though or zip past people/cars either.
Old 6/1/06, 01:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
I flog my car quite a bit on some of our back country roads as well.
Then you sir, are guilty of street racing. Have a nice day.
Old 6/1/06, 09:09 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Street racing is only dumb if you put bystanders in harms way. When we street race around here it is either in industrial parks or closed roads. All places that are impossible to traffic come in any direction except behind...and the only reason they are coming from behind is to join the racing.

Cool stories cmm101.

Few mods and you'll be taking care of LS2s too!
Old 6/1/06, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Man, yesterday I had a great race against this WRX! I smoked him bad! I woulda beat him even worse than I did if it wasn't for all those darn school kids crossing the street! One of them almost hit my bumper! It's cool though cause I just swerved hard and cut off a bus in the process. Ha ha, driver looked pissed!

Anyone know of a good product for removing dog blood?
Old 6/1/06, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Man, yesterday I had a great race against this WRX! I smoked him bad! I woulda beat him even worse than I did if it wasn't for all those darn school kids crossing the street! One of them almost hit my bumper! It's cool though cause I just swerved hard and cut off a bus in the process. Ha ha, driver looked pissed!

Vinegar works well on non-porous surfaces. Also, use WD-40 for yellow School Bus paint-scrape.
Old 6/1/06, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mudshuvel319
Vinegar works well on non-porous surfaces. Also, use WD-40 for yellow School Bus paint-scrape.
thanks! that's what I like about this site. Always a wealth of information!

I just hope that guy with the dark sunglasses and cane wont miss his dog TOO much.
Old 6/3/06, 10:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel73

My old man's cure was tossing a brick through the window, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 6/6/06, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
My old man's cure was tossing a brick through the window, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Sorry, you lost me. Perhaps you were unable to deduce that this was a fictitious post written facetiously and are inferring that I should have a brick thrown through my window. In any case, whatever...
Old 6/10/06, 10:29 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Naw I knew it was a ficticious account, just was pointing out his way of fixing bio stains and chem stains the hardcore way and follwoing up with that was really just as bad as the guy who was speeding through the neighborhood. Sorta like when you illegally pass somebody on a double yellow and they turn into instant A-hole and keep right along side you while oncoming traffic looms ahead. 2 wrongs dont = right.

besides, how could I be too judgemental, when I merge on the highway anywhere from 70 to 100.
Old 6/11/06, 02:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Ok, gotcha, no worries...
Old 7/7/06, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

They say in the article 34 people have been killed in Street racing accidents since 1999. I guarantee you 10 times that number have been killed crossing the street. They should make crossing the street illegal and make the maximum fine life in jail.

i dont know who said this but its quite true!
Old 7/7/06, 11:56 PM

Mabey its a silly question....but why buy a 300 hp, 'sports car' if you dont intend to drive it in a sporty manner? I'm willing to bet that cell phones cause far more accidents than street racing, yet for the most part, its tolerated.
I'm not saying that street racing is ok...but come on....ALL of us have either done it before, or still do it...its dangerous, sure! But so are a lot of other things. If you street race, be careful. Only do it in territory youre familiar with, and when no traffic is around. Dont do it in the city.

Most 'street racing' deaths ive heard of arent from people driving muscle cars, its people in fart-can muffler econoboxes flying down city streets at 100mph. Some people think if they see it on TV, they can do it IRL.