Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Car and Driver - Mustang beats GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/04, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was looking at the 05' GTO and to me, it reminds me of a Japanese car on steroids. The window curves, roof line, and back end. Thats me though.

Chevy kicked hiney in the 80's and 90's, now they're losing their grip and slipping fast, and Ford is taking over the lead. Nothing lasts forever.
Old 12/5/04, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by MunkeyOnTheLoose-witha5.0@December 5, 2004, 2:19 PM
i was looking at the 05' GTO and to me, it reminds me of a Japanese car on steroids. The window curves, roof line, and back end. Thats me though.

Chevy kicked hiney in the 80's and 90's, now they're losing their grip and slipping fast, and Ford is taking over the lead. Nothing lasts forever.
I've got to disagree about Chevy ruling the 80's. IMHO, the 5.0 Mustang ruled the 80's. It wasn't until the LT-1 Camaros did Chevy start taking over the performance lead.
Old 12/5/04, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92+December 5, 2004, 2:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ December 5, 2004, 2:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-MunkeyOnTheLoose-witha5.0@December 5, 2004, 2:19 PM

I've got to disagree about Chevy ruling the 80's. IMHO, the 5.0 Mustang ruled the 80's. It wasn't until the LT-1 Camaros did Chevy start taking over the performance lead.[/b][/quote]
Well, overall I would agree that the 5.0 came front and center in the '80's but if far from ruled that decade performance wise.

The truth is, the '86 and '87 Buick Turbocharged and Intercooled Regals 'ruled' as far as acceleration goes. Nothing was quicker - not the Vette, not the IROC, not the GTA, and certainly not the 5.0 - nothing. 3.8 Liters of V6 power that absolutely ruled the streets stock for stock. They were the quickest American-made automobile until the '89 Turbo Trans Am was made, which had essentially a Grand National drivetrain in a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am body.

But - the 5.0 DOES get the credit for bringing performance back to the plate as far as I view it. The aftermarket absolutely fell in love with the car as did the buying public so in some ways, it DID rule the '80's. Just not in quickness, stock vs stock.

Even when the LT-1 F-Bodies came out, they were not as quick in stock form as the Buick Turbo Regals. Even now, you want to see a lot of looks - or, strike some fear in most other drivers on the street? Just take one ride with someone who has an '86 or '87 Grand National. There are few other cars that get more respect on the street than the GN and the Turbo Regals - the Terminator Cobra is its equal in my view as far as respect goes.

The '03/'04 Cobras are wicked and evil, easily capable of 12 second time slips. There are few cars on the street I have any great respect for when I'm cruising in my GN - but a Terminator Cobra is at the top of the list.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that this new 2005 Mustang GT, with the right mods, will be sitting right next to the '03/'04 Cobras in short order when it comes to respect on the streets.

Here's a pic of my GN for those of you who may have not seen one.
Old 12/5/04, 05:36 PM

The GN's were great as long as you were going straight. A friend had a T Type. That car was a $%&#in blast, but handling and brakes weren't the best.

I remember there was some mag compo with the 87 Mustang GT, a GN, a T Bird turbo, and some other cars. I don't remember which car won but what was funny is that, they took these cars down some mountain pass, and when they got to the bottom, they said the GN center caps melted off the wheels.

Nice car BTW!! I'd love to see one of those old Monty's or Reagl's with a TPI 350 or an LS1, with a 4 speed od or M6, Big rear, lowered with some wide tires, 4 wheel disk etc. That would kick hiney!
Old 12/5/04, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Steve+December 5, 2004, 6:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve @ December 5, 2004, 6:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@December 5, 2004, 2:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MunkeyOnTheLoose-witha5.0
@December 5, 2004, 2:19 PM

I've got to disagree about Chevy ruling the 80's. IMHO, the 5.0 Mustang ruled the 80's. It wasn't until the LT-1 Camaros did Chevy start taking over the performance lead.
Well, overall I would agree that the 5.0 came front and center in the '80's but if far from ruled that decade performance wise.

The truth is, the '86 and '87 Buick Turbocharged and Intercooled Regals 'ruled' as far as acceleration goes. Nothing was quicker - not the Vette, not the IROC, not the GTA, and certainly not the 5.0 - nothing. 3.8 Liters of V6 power that absolutely ruled the streets stock for stock. They were the quickest American-made automobile until the '89 Turbo Trans Am was made, which had essentially a Grand National drivetrain in a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am body.

But - the 5.0 DOES get the credit for bringing performance back to the plate as far as I view it. The aftermarket absolutely fell in love with the car as did the buying public so in some ways, it DID rule the '80's. Just not in quickness, stock vs stock.

Even when the LT-1 F-Bodies came out, they were not as quick in stock form as the Buick Turbo Regals. Even now, you want to see a lot of looks - or, strike some fear in most other drivers on the street? Just take one ride with someone who has an '86 or '87 Grand National. There are few other cars that get more respect on the street than the GN and the Turbo Regals - the Terminator Cobra is its equal in my view as far as respect goes.

The '03/'04 Cobras are wicked and evil, easily capable of 12 second time slips. There are few cars on the street I have any great respect for when I'm cruising in my GN - but a Terminator Cobra is at the top of the list.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that this new 2005 Mustang GT, with the right mods, will be sitting right next to the '03/'04 Cobras in short order when it comes to respect on the streets.

Here's a pic of my GN for those of you who may have not seen one. [/b][/quote]
I'm very familiar with the GN as I worked with a guy that had one. They were by far the fastest car of the '80s but, as you stated, the 5.0 Mustang brought cheap performance to the masses. GNs were fastest out of the box but 5.0 Mustang were cheap and plentiful and there were plenty of go-fast parts available. That's why I said it ruled the 80's. If I remember correctly, they used to have a yearly Stang vs. GN meet and the Stang teams won quite a few of those.
Old 12/5/04, 05:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92@December 5, 2004, 6:40 PM
I'm very familiar with the GN as I worked with a guy that had one. They were by far the fastest car of the '80s but, as you stated, the 5.0 Mustang brought cheap performance to the masses. GNs were fastest out of the box but 5.0 Mustang were cheap and plentiful and there were plenty of go-fast parts available. That's why I said it ruled the 80's. If I remember correctly, they used to have a yearly Stang vs. GN meet and the Stang teams won quite a few of those.
As far as the Mustang/Buick shootouts go, the Mustangs always outnumber the Buicks by a HUGE number. Just due to what ever location is picked, more 5.0's will automatically show up - there's just more of them out there. There are a lot of fast Buicks out there but not as many of them go to the shootouts.

And that's where we agree - due to the sheer overwhelming numbers of 5.0's produced (because of their performance and the demand from the buying public), in volume they DID rule the '80's.
Old 12/5/04, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Steve+December 5, 2004, 6:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve @ December 5, 2004, 6:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TomServo92@December 5, 2004, 6:40 PM
As far as the Mustang/Buick shootouts go, the Mustangs always outnumber the Buicks by a HUGE number. Just due to what ever location is picked, more 5.0's will automatically show up - there's just more of them out there. There are a lot of fast Buicks out there but not as many of them go to the shootouts.

And that's where we agree - due to the sheer overwhelming numbers of 5.0's produced (because of their performance and the demand from the buying public), in volume they DID rule the '80's. [/b][/quote]
Agreed. As you can see by my sig, I owned 2 5.0 Stangs but I always wanted a GN also. I saw one the other day going down the freeway on a trailer. Considering it had some meaty M/T slicks on it and was heading in the direction of Houston, I'm sure it was on its way Houston Raceway Park for a night of racing.
Old 12/6/04, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by holderca1@December 5, 2004, 12:44 PM
I don't understand what's with all the competitiveness, are there really people out there that only buy a specific brand and regardless what the other company puts out it is junk just because they made it. That's just dumb in my book, the '05 Mustang GT will be my 4th Ford and 6th vehicle overall. I have no idea what my next vehicle will be after this next one but I will look at all cars and decide, not just what one manufacturer is making.
You are on a Mustang website complaining about being biased? What do you expect? If you catch me on a gto website then call me out. I am glad to see you get it right most of the time when it comes to buying cars. I used to own other brands, but I did not have the pride or satisfaction I get with my Ford.
Old 12/6/04, 10:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Auburn+December 6, 2004, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Auburn @ December 6, 2004, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@December 5, 2004, 12:44 PM
I don't understand what's with all the competitiveness, are there really people out there that only buy a specific brand and regardless what the other company puts out it is junk just because they made it. That's just dumb in my book, the '05 Mustang GT will be my 4th Ford and 6th vehicle overall. I have no idea what my next vehicle will be after this next one but I will look at all cars and decide, not just what one manufacturer is making.
You are on a Mustang website complaining about being biased? What do you expect? If you catch me on a gto website then call me out. I am glad to see you get it right most of the time when it comes to buying cars. I used to own other brands, but I did not have the pride or satisfaction I get with my Ford. [/b][/quote]
well 2 of my 3 previous Fords had mechanical issues with them (a Mustang and a Probe) and I am still buying another Ford. On the other hand, I am keeping my Pontiac, have not had a single problem with the engine yet, granted it only has 36,000 miles on it so far, but it has been very dependable thus far.
Old 12/7/04, 02:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I blew a '04 GTO right off the road the other day...no contest at all...arrogant kid about 21 or so giving me the bird to my right in the slow lane....turns out that's where he belonged as i got him off the line and was first to triple digits on the speedo.....sissy backed off while i got up over 135 to put some good space between us....they're no match for a modified '05 Ford juggernaut.....haha.....Go Mustang! I threw on some AC/DC after the win and jammed to Back in Black all the way home....haha
Old 12/7/04, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Steve

That GN is one sweet looking ride.

All that it needs are Jolly Rogers Pennant flying from the front fenders.
Old 12/7/04, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I couldnt stop laughing when Car and Driver called the GTO "The Blunder from Down Under" .
Old 12/7/04, 08:53 PM

Stopped at a local dealeship tonight to check on their gto's. They still have 3 of the 4 they originally received months ago. The only one to sell was black. They are priced $6k more than the 05 GT's loaded on local lots, but I am sure that difference is less since they are not moving. These goats were on the front of the lot but slowly have made their way back a couple of rows. Jay they are definately a blunder!
Old 12/7/04, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Giddyup+December 2, 2004, 2:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ December 2, 2004, 2:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Red Baron@December 2, 2004, 1:23 PM
I received the new Car and Driver magazine today. The cover story is the Mustang GT versus Pontiac GTO!

It has a really cool cover on it. I'd scan it, but my scanner is down. :angry: Anyway, to cut to the chase, Car and Driver prefers the Mustang over the GTO, even though the GTO they tested is the 05 with 400 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. As far as speed is concerned, the GTO is faster, though. In the quarter-mile, the GTO is 13.3 @ 107mph and the Mustang is 13.8 @ 103. We need just a little more juice Ford!!
The Mustang may only be .5 behind in the 1/4 mile.......but we are LIGHTYEARS ahead of the 'Goat' in the aesthetics department. All this works fine with me......WE LOVE OUR STANGS, and GM can take a hike back to the drawing board. B) [/b][/quote]
.5 seconds and 4 MPH is a sizeable gap on the drag strip! At 104 MPH it's 76 feet. If the average speed during the last 1/2 second is 100 MPH, then it's 73 feet. That's over 4 car lengths. On the street it means he'll reach the radar trap before I do! I think I'll keep my GT just the same!
Old 12/8/04, 04:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Auburn@December 7, 2004, 9:56 PM
Stopped at a local dealeship tonight to check on their gto's. They still have 3 of the 4 they originally received months ago. The only one to sell was black. They are priced $6k more than the 05 GT's loaded on local lots, but I am sure that difference is less since they are not moving. These goats were on the front of the lot but slowly have made their way back a couple of rows. Jay they are definately a blunder!
I have seen NEW 2004 GTO's offered (after rebates) at $26,500 - that is about $7,000+ off sticker!

I do think the 2005 will fare much better as far as acceptance and sales go, all due to the 400 HP LS2 (which is an awesome motor) and the exterior mods.

But it is STILL butt ugly compared to the new Mustang.
Old 12/8/04, 04:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by swingle007@December 7, 2004, 4:01 PM
I blew a '04 GTO right off the road the other day...no contest at all...arrogant kid about 21 or so giving me the bird to my right in the slow lane....turns out that's where he belonged as i got him off the line and was first to triple digits on the speedo.....sissy backed off while i got up over 135 to put some good space between us....they're no match for a modified '05 Ford juggernaut.....haha.....Go Mustang! I threw on some AC/DC after the win and jammed to Back in Black all the way home....haha
I looked at your homepage pics of your car - very nice!

Nice kill on the GTO, too. And there is hardly ANYthing better to cruise to than AC/DC.
Old 12/8/04, 12:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

There we go Steve! Somebody happy to see me wipe my tailpipes with one of those ugly goats.....It was a thing of beauty my brothers....:-)
Old 12/8/04, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Steve+December 8, 2004, 5:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve @ December 8, 2004, 5:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Auburn@December 7, 2004, 9:56 PM
I have seen NEW 2004 GTO's offered (after rebates) at $26,500 - that is about $7,000+ off sticker!

I do think the 2005 will fare much better as far as acceptance and sales go, all due to the 400 HP LS2 (which is an awesome motor) and the exterior mods.

But it is STILL butt ugly compared to the new Mustang. [/b][/quote]
I'm sure they will fare better. Nothing wrong with the competition to keep Ford on their toes. Yes they are butt ugly, and I have seen some pictures of the exterior mods and still butt ugly.
Old 12/11/04, 06:36 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Baron@December 2, 2004, 3:23 PM
I received the new Car and Driver magazine today. The cover story is the Mustang GT versus Pontiac GTO!

It has a really cool cover on it. I'd scan it, but my scanner is down. :angry: Anyway, to cut to the chase, Car and Driver prefers the Mustang over the GTO, even though the GTO they tested is the 05 with 400 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. As far as speed is concerned, the GTO is faster, though. In the quarter-mile, the GTO is 13.3 @ 107mph and the Mustang is 13.8 @ 103. We need just a little more juice Ford!!
about the "new" GTO......."You can put 400 candles in a cowpie, but that doesn't make it a birthday cake!"