Old 12/31/12, 11:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Autoguide comparison: V6 PP vs. Genesis 3.8: ouch

Old 1/1/13, 04:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, not so good!

Those are some impressive figures from the Genesis though.
Old 1/1/13, 06:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That driveshaft and the related speed limiter is a huge handicap. I suspect the Mustang would be a LOT closer on a tighter course...for whatever that's worth.
Old 1/1/13, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I ordered my 2012 base V6 with the Performance Package as the only option, I also looked at the Genesis Coupe....since I don't drive my car on the track it came down to a couple things, first the reviews at that time all talked about how hard it was to shift the Genesis smoothly, that you really had to constantly concentrate on your shifting to shift it smoothly and that it had a lot of driveline lash and a vague shifter and the clutch action wasn't refined. It was also slightly slower in 0-60 and quarter mile times. They also didn't have the suspension worked out so the handling wasn't quite there yet, but it still was very stiff riding. But more importantly, it also cost quite a bit more and the rebates were not as good as they were on the Mustang, plus I had the X-Plan pricing, so the price difference became even more significant. Also, the insurance was higher on the GC than the Mustang. I had a limited budget so the Mustang was an easy choice. Had I had the money, I would have gone with a base GT before getting the Genesis Coupe and then there is no comparison. I don't have anything against Hyundai as I have owned several, but the price advantage they once had over the competition is no longer there.
Old 1/1/13, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For about $33k, I wonder how that Genesis would compare vs. a Base model GT?

Two big factors there, though, would be the GT's stock tires (crap! 235 all-seasons) and the stock brakes... although they didn't sound too impressed with the Genesis brakes, either.
Old 1/1/13, 08:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking seeing that the Genesis is almst 5000.00to6000.00 more than the Mustang thats like Running a base Boss302 against the Genesis, a better test would be a gt with the brembo brake package against the Genesis.
Old 1/1/13, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
For about $33k, I wonder how that Genesis would compare vs. a Base model GT?

Two big factors there, though, would be the GT's stock tires (crap! 235 all-seasons) and the stock brakes... although they didn't sound too impressed with the Genesis brakes, either.
Meh I got my GT premium with the track and comfort pack for 32k out the door; no way the genesis could touch that price or performance.
Old 1/1/13, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apple pie or Kimshee.....Apple pie wins every time for me. All good points in this thread.
Old 1/1/13, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Neat review, they did mention that the speed limiter accounted for some of the time loss. Enjoyed these guys evaluation. Too many times you see reviewers and wonder if they are paid off or just biased.
Old 1/1/13, 09:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I can't even say Hyundai correctly. Why would I buy it?
Old 1/1/13, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pride. Of. Ownership. I'm happy with my Perf. Pkg. V6; wouldn't trade it for any Hyundai ever built.
Old 1/1/13, 10:33 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Pride. Of. Ownership. I'm happy with my Perf. Pkg. V6; wouldn't trade it for any Hyundai ever built.
How about for an Equus? You could sell it and buy a GT500.
Old 1/1/13, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

It amazes me that Ford overlooked that driveshaft related speed limiter issue when they developed the V6 PP. For the first time in it's entire history the V6 Mustang is a serious performance contender in the V6 sports car category and to be limited to 120 when that engine can probably propel the car to 140 or 150 is ridiculous.

That said, I agree with others above that I'd have a Mustang over a hi-un-dee-eye any day. haha
Old 1/2/13, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ford was answering to multiple criteria on the V6 version of the Mustang... but there's little doubt that the Genesis is a big reason why the 3.7L models are performance oriented at all.

Nothing against the owners of 2010 and earlier V6 Mustangs... but they're just generic good looking coupes with little pleasure to be had from sitting behind the wheel. Along comes some competition in the sporty coupe market (form the Camaro, Genesis 2.0 and 3.8) and for the 2011 MY, we get a 300+hp base engine for the Stang! Not too bad.

Unfortunately, the V6 Mustangs still represent the biggest volume of sales and go to fleets in great numbers...which means a small cost cutting measure (like a cheaper version of the drive shaft) nets a significant profit so it made sense to go with the cheapest part that would do the bare minimum job (as it always does). This is the ugly side of capitalism, I guess.

So the Genesis Coupe is a more expensive car, IIRC it's quite a bit smaller (but hardly any lighter) and it has the typical Hyundai styling quandries. It looks great from some angles, downright terrible from others. Some say this about the Mustang's tail end...but the Genesis just looks off in a different way IMO, like the nose and profile were designed by completely different people.

Between the two, my pick would be a Mustang PP with a driveshaft replacement. You'd still come out ahead of the price of a Genesis 3.8 and you'd have a better all around performance car. I have no bias against Hyundai but the Genesis doesn't push the right buttons for me.

Or you could look at it this way; The V6 Mustang is a muscle car "junior"...which is better than the Genesis 3.8 which is a Mini Nissan 370Z.

Per the pictures below... gross front end, pretty profile. It's an automotive "butter face!"
Attached Thumbnails Autoguide comparison: V6 PP vs. Genesis 3.8: ouch-2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-front.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 1/2/13, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

I agree, the 12' genesis looks pretty good but the 13' looks god awful. Not sure why they redesigned the front end, guess they had a over abundance of plastic laying around at the time.
Old 1/2/13, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Ford was answering to multiple criteria on the V6 version of the Mustang... but there's little doubt that the Genesis is a big reason why the 3.7L models are performance oriented at all.

Nothing against the owners of 2010 and earlier V6 Mustangs... but they're just generic good looking coupes with little pleasure to be had from sitting behind the wheel. Along comes some competition in the sporty coupe market (form the Camaro, Genesis 2.0 and 3.8) and for the 2011 MY, we get a 300+hp base engine for the Stang! Not too bad.

Unfortunately, the V6 Mustangs still represent the biggest volume of sales and go to fleets in great numbers...which means a small cost cutting measure (like a cheaper version of the drive shaft) nets a significant profit so it made sense to go with the cheapest part that would do the bare minimum job (as it always does). This is the ugly side of capitalism, I guess.

So the Genesis Coupe is a more expensive car, IIRC it's quite a bit smaller (but hardly any lighter) and it has the typical Hyundai styling quandries. It looks great from some angles, downright terrible from others. Some say this about the Mustang's tail end...but the Genesis just looks off in a different way IMO, like the nose and profile were designed by completely different people.

Between the two, my pick would be a Mustang PP with a driveshaft replacement. You'd still come out ahead of the price of a Genesis 3.8 and you'd have a better all around performance car. I have no bias against Hyundai but the Genesis doesn't push the right buttons for me.

Or you could look at it this way; The V6 Mustang is a muscle car "junior"...which is better than the Genesis 3.8 which is a Mini Nissan 370Z.

Per the pictures below... gross front end, pretty profile. It's an automotive "butter face!"
While I totally understand what you're saying about cutting costs for fleet sales and so on, it just surprises me that in the face of stiff completion in the sporty coupe market like you said, they didn't use the driveshaft from a GT or something on the V6 PP.
Old 1/2/13, 09:26 AM
Banned

Wouldn't the GT driveshaft be a direct swap, anyway?
Old 1/2/13, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I would assume so, although I'm not an expert.
Old 1/2/13, 12:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509
While I totally understand what you're saying about cutting costs for fleet sales and so on, it just surprises me that in the face of stiff completion in the sporty coupe market like you said, they didn't use the driveshaft from a GT or something on the V6 PP.
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I think that's a good question... but there has to be a reason why they didn't. Since both cars use the MT82 (right??) and presumably the same automatic trans as well, I assume the driveshaft would fit...
...but one big component of performance, throttle response and fuel economy is the rotating mass of the drivetrain. It's concievable that the GT drive shaft (known to be a very heavy piece) had an adequately adverse impact on the V6's performance/fuel economy that Ford opted for a lighter driveshaft... but of course without the engineering budget/business case to make it strong enough or balanced enough to stand up to high RPM.

Finding a used GT driveshaft might be a cheap way to strengthen the drivetrain for the V6 guys...and since many GT folks are swapping out the stock shaft for one-piece aluminum and carbon units so these are out there...
...we just need some confirmation that it fits and that the extra weight isn't going to slow you down too much!
Old 1/2/13, 12:49 PM
GT Member

I'll keep buying American.

Quick Reply: Autoguide comparison: V6 PP vs. Genesis 3.8: ouch