Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Auto or Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/11, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
A manual transmission, also known as a manual gearbox or standard transmission (informally, a "manual", "straight shift", "stick (shift)" (US), or "straight drive") is a type of transmission used in motor vehicle applications. It generally uses a driver-operated clutch, typically operated by a pedal or lever, for regulating torque transfer from the internal combustion engine to the transmission, and a gear stick, either operated by foot (as in a car) or by hand (as on a motorcycle).
A conventional manual transmission is frequently the base equipment in a car; other options include automated transmissions such as an automatic transmission (often a manumatic), a semi-automatic transmission, or a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
I'll take one of each please
Old 6/20/11, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A stick refers to a manual.

Neither is overall better than the other. Each is better at certain things and in certain situations. For dedicated road racing, I prefer a manual. For dedicated street use, I prefer an automatic. However, my personal favorite is the semi-automatic (this car be a converted AT with a manual valvebody or an electronically operated clutch); not available in all cars.
Old 6/20/11, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by socalwrench
A stick refers to a manual.

Neither is overall better than the other. Each is better at certain things and in certain situations. For dedicated road racing, I prefer a manual. For dedicated street use, I prefer an automatic. However, my personal favorite is the semi-automatic (this car be a converted AT with a manual valvebody or an electronically operated clutch); not available in all cars.
Who calls it a stick and why?
Old 6/20/11, 10:51 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
The "stick" reference to a manual transmission most likely refers to the gearshift lever. They used to be much longer and thinner in older automobiles compared to modern ones. But, that's my WAG.
Old 6/21/11, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, it's just an old school term. It came about from the old long and skinny shift levers that resembled sticks. The term is slowly going away, but is still in common use.
Old 6/21/11, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Auto for sure
Old 6/21/11, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

You can't honestly have never heard the term stick shift before, it's an old saying but a lot of people still use it

As for auto or stick, I say it depends on the car or truck but overall i like stick

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 6/21/11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 6/21/11, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 6-speed manual because I prefer to drive my muscle car, not point my muscle car.

I don't think a silly one-legger car can match the exhilaration of drop-shifting from 6th to 4th on the freeway as all hell breaks loose when the clutch drops and re-engages with the pedal to the floor, pinning my head to the headrest and pulling my eyeballs to the rear of my skull as the engine roars like God and Dearborn intended it to.
Old 6/22/11, 02:33 PM
V6 Member

Agree cusp
If you live in a big city and lots of stoplights and short trips get auto
Country living country or long interstate driving get manual
400hp auto still has the fun quotient there
And age would enter the decision also for several people
I'm definitely glad they have the 400hp auto available
Old 6/22/11, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by J1000
I have a 6-speed manual because I prefer to drive my muscle car, not point my muscle car.

I don't think a silly one-legger car can match the exhilaration of drop-shifting from 6th to 4th on the freeway as all hell breaks loose when the clutch drops and re-engages with the pedal to the floor, pinning my head to the headrest and pulling my eyeballs to the rear of my skull as the engine roars like God and Dearborn intended it to.
Sure it can. When it goes WOT it will disengage the lockup and drop at least two gears all by itself and produce the same inertia and sounds probably a few tics faster than your average hand/eye cordination will allow with the manual, just saying lol .
Old 6/22/11, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28

Sure it can. When it goes WOT it will disengage the lockup and drop at least two gears all by itself and produce the same inertia and sounds probably a few tics faster than your average hand/eye cordination will allow with the manual, just saying lol .
Hehe, I'm just saying it's a hell of a lot more fun in a manual in my opinion! It's not for everyone. After I sold my last manual vehicle, I missed it bad; rush hour Detroit traffic and all. Glad to back in a manual!

Last edited by J1000; 6/22/11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 6/23/11, 03:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool I suppose I should chime in on this

I have usually owned both.
Usually a big block auto and a 4cyl. manual.
Last year it became 2 Mustangs.
This year it became 2 Mustang GTs, a supercharged auto and a manual GT.
I still am having a little trouble getting a handle on the auto doing exactly what I want on the Mustangs. In the older cars I could deal with 3spds with little confusion, but the 5spd Mustang auto still gives me a few surprises.
All in all...
The auto works well in a loud high HP car especially in town and probably on the drag strip (haven't gone yet).
I still love my manual GT more.
Old 6/23/11, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by J1000
Hehe, I'm just saying it's a hell of a lot more fun in a manual in my opinion! It's not for everyone. After I sold my last manual vehicle, I missed it bad; rush hour Detroit traffic and all. Glad to back in a manual!
Ya it's all good. My preferences go Stalled auto>stick>stock auto. Going straight to the power without all the fluff.
Old 6/24/11, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I like my auto with the tillman tune and intake. Seems to work really well and pretty much shifts when I expect it too. I would like to drive a stick car for a week or two just to see if I'm missing anything.
Old 7/2/11, 02:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Y'know something I learned about with A5 Mustangs and I dont know if this is a problem with the A6 cars, but you can actually corner hard enough in the A5 cars to surge the fluid away from the pickup in the auto trans. I had borrowed my folks 07 GT while the GT500 was getting a new clutch and went around myh favorite on-ramp and about mid point in the turn where the car generates its highest speed and lateral force, the trans started slipping because it was starved for fluid.
Old 7/10/11, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

STICK YA DUMMYS
Old 7/12/11, 02:57 AM
V6 Member

All matters on what u want to do. If u want a drag car auto is the way to go. Less spin and more consent. But for anything else stick. u control more with a stick witch I like.. but u also have to keep em up.. clutches can get priceyyyyyyy.
Old 7/21/11, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Being this my first Mustang and only driven in the summer, I wanted to do it right. I wanted a Auto, but Everyone I spoke with who is into sports cars, said do the stick. They were right. The car is now a great car to drive. The mods were icing on the cake.
Old 7/25/11, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Manual, like the control.
Old 7/27/11, 10:25 PM

I got my auto which is good for inner city driving.. But on weekends it's all manual

Quick Reply: Auto or Stick?