Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2012 GT vs 2012 Corvette (base) ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 05:24 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671
In regards to practicality, this makes me wonder why in the hell GM went out of there way to create a brand-new ground up Camaro while maintaining the design elements of old. , mainly the poor visibility and low roof line.

All GM needed to do was design an aggressive looking 2-door version of the G8, which had all right elements.
-------------------
Well, GM is definitely doing something right (design-wise) with the Camaro, sales have been very good for them. I agree with you that the 'slammed' down roof creates awful visibility, and IMO the interior is very inferior to the Mustang. But, in the Camaro's case, function follows form. I'm not so sure the 2-door G8 would have worked, car magazines would have trashed the looks as a 'goat', like they did with the modern GTO. I think GM went in the correct direction, bringing back their iconic pony car, and their marketing group gets kudos for getting it to be part of Transformers, therefore easily recognized by the public. But, for me, there was no comparison when I bought my beloved Mustang GT.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 2/29/12 at 05:26 PM.
Old 3/1/12, 02:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Quality issues or just general maintenece?

I could say the same of my GT500, 1100 bucks minimum for tires every 20k, 2k for a clutck every 16k, 100 bucks (if the dealer needs to make sure that bottom line is black that month) for oil and filter every 3k, 80 bucks for an air filter every 6 months, 1k for brakes every 40k miles.

Performance cars can be very very exepensive no matter the brand.
Why don't you just get a K&N filter for about the same price and be done with it?
Old 3/1/12, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Different cars. The mustang is a muscle car/pony car, and the vette is a sports car. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Just like an F150 is a truck, not an opinion, it's a fact. The mustang just recently entered the realm of non-linear handling, and even then is doing well for a live axle car. Still not a vette. My car is pretty quick and is pretty decently modded, but my brother's C6 in bone stock form will take my car every day all day. Mustang's shoul be compared to other pony cars, like the camaro or firebird. I love my car, but I know what it is and what it isnt. I'd need an extra 150-200hp to keep up with my bro in this car. Which is coming soon enough. I'll report back when it happens...then he's just going to goto a ZR1 lol
Old 3/1/12, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by 95cobraR
Show me a link that has a new Corvette for $43K.

You paid too much for your 5.0 GT. Mine was $29.5K..... .... ....
2012 Corvette $39,988 brand new
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&standard=true

Your GT might not have been fully loaded. Mine with all options, BBP and 3.73's included, was $36k new when they first came out. I got mine July 2010 when prices were highest. They're a little less expensive now.

Originally Posted by kn7671
The Corvette is faster, can be made much faster, puts the power down better than the Mustang, has a better transmission for extra power, has better top speed capabilities, goes around a track better, and generally handles (not ride) better, but all at a cost.

If you want the cheapest, best performing, best handling car for the price, w/o regard to space, quality, or ride quality, there is no alternative to the Corvette for the price, but that's all relative.

Buying performance parts for a Corvette are more expensive than a Mustang, for no reason other than being for a Corvette, similar to what you will find in the BMW circles. The Corvette is not a good daily driver on anything but short drives, or relatively smooth pavement. You can't put more than 2-people in a Corvette.

Here's the thing though, most people that own a Corvette, has the Corvette as a secondary non-primary car, and likely is a male between 35-50, college degree, with an annual household income of $130k+.
Well said, and this basically ends the thread, period.
Originally Posted by bob
Performance cars can be very very exepensive no matter the brand.
You gotta pay to play, end of story.

Last edited by Digital_Synapse; 3/1/12 at 03:28 AM.
Old 3/1/12, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This conversation makes me wanna go buy a Corvette.
Old 3/2/12, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by It'llrun
This conversation makes me wanna go buy a Corvette.
Nothing is wrong with that go out and get one and give us your opinion on it
Old 3/2/12, 06:36 AM
GT Member

Road & Track just did a test of all the corvette base on up . When you look at the number that the base corvette posted compare to a BBP GT, the base corvette get it butt kick in every test but the drag race. Here the link to the data panel http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/original/application/f5458ef23597cbc8bf12572500d3c9be.pdf
The BBP GT has posted better Slalom speed , Higher skidpad number and shorter stopping distance in testing .Here the link to a Road & Track test of the BBP GT in a test against SS camaro so you can see the the number they got with the BBP GT .http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...acc2eca750.pdf with a MSRP 32,585 for my BBP GT with 3:73 gears i stick with my Mustang .There is no better bang for the buck Car in the 30K rang than the BBP GT . Hell 70.6 MPH slalom speed for the BBP GT is just short of GS corvette speed slalom of 71.4 the performance of BBP GT is dam hard to beat for the money.
Old 3/3/12, 11:01 PM

Nice!
Old 3/4/12, 04:08 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to 'Which is Better' section, but will leave a link for today . . .
Old 3/4/12, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

I started a war!

I almost feel most guys really are corvette fans but couldn't afford one lol.
Old 3/4/12, 04:39 PM
GT Member

If you look at the number the base corvette posted in that link form Road & Track test I posted . The number for the base Vett suck! I counld not believe how bad the number were till I readed the tests.The MSRP for a base corvette is 49k + and when you posted number as bad as the base corvette dose you can see why GM can not give these cars way .I don't think the guy on the corvetteC6 forums realize just how bad that car is in base lvl trim .
Old 3/4/12, 05:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Why don't you just get a K&N filter for about the same price and be done with it?
I did but the extractors let water wash out the filter. A K&N in my car looks like its done in about 2-3 months and is an ugly shade of gray if say it rains 3 weeks straight and then I have to go through the hassle of cleaning and re-oiling it which is a PITA if done properly when your only using 1 filter (if your using two then you clean, oil and swap obviously). Instead I can get a really nice treated gauze filter from Amsoil and replace it every six months which is MAF safe and as a bonus comes in a nice shade of blue
Old 3/4/12, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmmmm
Old 5/28/12, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I think we're all closet Vette lovers. Lol. I'd own one too if I wouldn't have got my 12' GT Auto for $28,900 otd. I was looking at Vettes as well but high 40's was the best price I was getting. So 20k cheaper for comparable performance was a no brainer for me. As for performance, there is a saving grace. My GT is tuned with a 93 octane tune with cai and runs [12.teens- 12.20's] consistently. I've outran many stock C6's at the track. So to answer the initial question, yes a tuned GT will beat a stock C6 vette in the eighth or 1/4. They're coming strong in the quarter though and usually higher MPH. Roll racing 55+, forget about it, Vette every time. Tune your GT with a bolt on or two and you can handle a stock C6 in certain areas. As for the 4 seat argument ...Puhleez! I can barely fit my infant's baby seat back there and that's with my knees in the dash. For whatever purpose a 3rd or 4th person would attempt to squeeze in back there, I think they'd squeeze in the 2 seat Vette just as easy for the same purpose ( you & a buddy bringing some sugar-walls home from the bar or whatever). For the money, the Stang is about impossible to beat.

Last edited by Mustang Mafia; 5/28/12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 5/28/12, 02:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Holy thread revival batman
Old 5/28/12, 05:09 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I think we're all closet Vette lovers. Lol. I'd own one too if I wouldn't have got my 12' GT Auto for $28,900 otd. I was looking at Vettes as well but high 40's was the best price I was getting. So 20k cheaper for comparable performance was a no brainer for me. As for performance, there is a saving grace. As for the 4 seat argument ...Puhleez! I can barely fit my infant's baby seat back there and that's with my knees in the dash. For whatever purpose a 3rd or 4th person would attempt to squeeze in. For the money, the Stang is about impossible to beat.
---
I'm glad this old thread got bumped, it's a good one, with lots of varying opinions.
IMO, you're missing the point of the rear-seat argument. The advantages:
* Children do fit back there completely fine (I drive my son to school daily in my 2011 GT).
* 'Stuff' goes back there very easily (soft bags, sports equipment, etc.)
* Split-folding rear seats make for a large storage capacity via the trunk.
* Makes a big difference for insurance categorization (2+2 vs. 2-seater), and premiums will be significantly cheaper.
On the negative side of the ledger:
* Two-seaters are true sports cars.
* Rear seat = more weight.
And, yes, if the Corvette was $20k cheaper, I'd have one in my garage. But for the money, I love my GT, and few (if none) competitors can touch it for the value. Intake, exhaust, & suspension ($1500 investment) means my GT can now hang with a base C6 or Grand Sport. Of course a Z06 or ZR1 is out of my league. I think Ford and Chevy have done incredible evolutions with the Mustang and Corvette, I'm proud to own one, but they are different vehicles built for different purposes.