Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2012 GT vs 2012 Corvette (base) ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/12, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I'm not picking sides, but it's hard to take seriously anyone who says the ride in an escalade sucks. Just saying.

Well, if you've never ridden in anything else yeah it's fine. An Expedition or Durrango is WAY better than the escalade.
They want you to think the cadillac is a soft and comfy ride, wrongo.
Old 2/21/12, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

But maybe it's the ridiculous 22" rims and low profile tires that are useless on an SUV.
Old 2/21/12, 10:18 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
My assessment? Go to Fords web site and read. They advertise the Boss as a race ready car with race compound tires. GM states the ZL1 was built to be track compatible right from the factory. Im not trying to start an e battle but I feel they are very comparable.
-------------
Yes, sir, your 'assessment'...with regards to $...read my comments...they are about money $. I understand the purpose of each vehicle. But 15% price difference is too large a gap for a comparable match-up, IMO. Would you compare a Corvette ZR1 with a C6 Base? Would you compare a Shelby GT500 with a GT Base? Would you compare a Camaro SS with a Camaro ZL1? Apples to apples, in the $ department, that's how the best car magazines do comparos. And those make the best stories.
Old 2/21/12, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
-------------
Yes, sir, your 'assessment'...with regards to $...read my comments...they are about money $. I understand the purpose of each vehicle. But 15% price difference is too large a gap for a comparable match-up, IMO. Would you compare a Corvette ZR1 with a C6 Base? Would you compare a Shelby GT500 with a GT Base? Would you compare a Camaro SS with a Camaro ZL1? Apples to apples, in the $ department, that's how the best car magazines do comparos. And those make the best stories.
They make the best stories but so do parties during spring break.

Vette would win the the performance category hands down. 400 lbs is alot of weight, not to mention its a real sports car not a pony car like the mustang. Practicality, DD ability, customization, mustang dominates. My neighbor has an 11 z06 with the magnetic ride and while it does smooth things out you still feel the road under you. Its just too low for being a daily driver. If you can oull it off then more power to ya, but if given a blank check id rather a fully optioned out gt and mod it up suspension and weight wise
Old 2/22/12, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know this doesn't follow the 2012 but I own a 96 cobra and my brother owns a 94 lt1 vette. I drive both of the cars more than he does, and I would choose the mustang over the vette any day. Both come stock around 305 hp but the vette is way lighter but you sit way closer to the ground than the cobra and it has a longer front end. I know the vette could take the cobra. The cobra as a daily driver and the corvette as a weekend driver.
As for the new vette vs new gt I would take the gt for the price and it fits 4 and is a much better daily driver than the vette

Last edited by Dbranham; 2/22/12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2/22/12, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011GT/CS
A regular vette is a nice car....for the track. but to drive every day? HELLLLLLLLLL NO! It hurts to
Get into (I'm 19!), the ride.... Oh god the ride is just awful. Every bump you hit rattles your spine...
Originally Posted by beerbarrel
2600 on this one...30K on my last one. So you've rode 500 miles in one car and you base all of your knowledge about them on that one car? Maybe you just got a bad one. Have you ridden in a magnetic ride car?
First of all, I think it's great that you have grey hair and still enjoy yourself by driving a corvette, it is definitely a quality car. I hope to be driving as nice of a car when I'm 50. BUT,

Without a doubt I have to agree with 2011GT/CS that the ride comfort in everyday driving is horrid. The comment about every little bump "rattling your spine" is fairly accurate. I'm 22 years old, and I won't pretend to own a corvette, but my uncle has a 2011 ZR1, and I've driven it more times than I can count on my hands. Tons of fun to drive, but the ride comfort level is near painful.
Old 2/23/12, 07:02 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I think a great idea would just be to own both, and pick the car for that day... lol. Ahhhh... if only I wasn't bound by the laws of finances... lol. (i.e. if only we were all filthy Rich...ala Jay Leno. Then again, Leno probably wouldn't be owning a stang or a vette. He'd give those to his house cleaners.)
Old 2/23/12, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
Corvette

A base Corvette is $50K (as if you can get a base coupe).
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...012-corvettes/

A 2012 Mustang GT is $29K:
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/pricing/

As previously mentioned, the Mustang has better performance for the money. I owned a C5Z06 for 8 years. It was fun but expensive to own.

I'll never buy another Corvette.
Old 2/23/12, 05:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 95cobraR
I owned a C5Z06 for 8 years. It was fun but expensive to own.
Quality issues or just general maintenece?

I could say the same of my GT500, 1100 bucks minimum for tires every 20k, 2k for a clutck every 16k, 100 bucks (if the dealer needs to make sure that bottom line is black that month) for oil and filter every 3k, 80 bucks for an air filter every 6 months, 1k for brakes every 40k miles.

Performance cars can be very very exepensive no matter the brand.

Last edited by bob; 2/23/12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 2/23/12, 09:33 PM
V6 Member

I agree...that's why I do. I did not buy either for the ride.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I think a great idea would just be to own both, and pick the car for that day... lol. Ahhhh... if only I wasn't bound by the laws of finances... lol. (i.e. if only we were all filthy Rich...ala Jay Leno. Then again, Leno probably wouldn't be owning a stang or a vette. He'd give those to his house cleaners.)
Old 2/23/12, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

Your figures are inaccurate...You can get a base for about 43K...My GT was 32K

Corvette

A base Corvette is $50K (as if you can get a base coupe).
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...012-corvettes/

A 2012 Mustang GT is $29K:
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/pricing/

As previously mentioned, the Mustang has better performance for the money. I owned a C5Z06 for 8 years. It was fun but expensive to own.

I'll never buy another Corvette.
Old 2/27/12, 12:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Owning one of each, '10 GT, and the '07 Vette, I would say the Vette is quicker. However, it is extremely difficult to compare the two any farther than this. They are so different as evryone knows, that I find it hard to explain. As far as travel I would say the Mustang may be a bit better because of the stance, and dare I say the room. The Corvette is made as a daily driver, but very few use it for that. So there is another plus for the Mustang. But, there's nothing to compare to the Vette as a cruiser. We have taken it from North Carolina to California on a Route 66 run, and it did great. I ramble, but hope this helps.
Old 2/27/12, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Corvette is faster, can be made much faster, puts the power down better than the Mustang, has a better transmission for extra power, has better top speed capabilities, goes around a track better, and generally handles (not ride) better, but all at a cost.

If you want the cheapest, best performing, best handling car for the price, w/o regard to space, quality, or ride quality, there is no alternative to the Corvette for the price, but that's all relative.

Buying performance parts for a Corvette are more expensive than a Mustang, for no reason other than being for a Corvette, similar to what you will find in the BMW circles. The Corvette is not a good daily driver on anything but short drives, or relatively smooth pavement. You can't put more than 2-people in a Corvette.

Here's the thing though, most people that own a Corvette, has the Corvette as a secondary non-primary car, and likely is a male between 35-50, college degree, with an annual household income of $130k+.

Would I ever buy a Corvette, hell no. Would I drive one for some temporary fun, certainly.
Old 2/27/12, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
The Corvette is faster, can be made much faster, puts the power down better than the Mustang, has a better transmission for extra power, has better top speed capabilities, goes around a track better, and generally handles (not ride) better, but all at a cost.

If you want the cheapest, best performing, best handling car for the price, w/o regard to space, quality, or ride quality, there is no alternative to the Corvette for the price, but that's all relative.

Buying performance parts for a Corvette are more expensive than a Mustang, for no reason other than being for a Corvette, similar to what you will find in the BMW circles. The Corvette is not a good daily driver on anything but short drives, or relatively smooth pavement. You can't put more than 2-people in a Corvette.

Here's the thing though, most people that own a Corvette, has the Corvette as a secondary non-primary car, and likely is a male between 35-50, college degree, with an annual household income of $130k+.

Would I ever buy a Corvette, hell no. Would I drive one for some temporary fun, certainly.
Well said, I would agree with everything you said.
Old 2/27/12, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
My assessment? Go to Fords web site and read. They advertise the Boss Laguna Seca as a race ready car with race compound tires. GM states the ZL1 was built to be track compatible right from the factory. Im not trying to start an e battle but I feel they are very comparable.
Fixed it. The standard BOSS apparently doesn't get that rubber.

That said, on any track where high speeds are likely, basically any car with similar handling characteristcs and an additional 130hp is going to look better.
Old 2/29/12, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Quality issues or just general maintenece?
It was maintenance, taxes, insurance, and depreciation.

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Your figures are inaccurate...You can get a base for about 43K...My GT was 32K
Your numbers are not accurate.

Show me a link that has a new Corvette for $43K.

You paid too much for your 5.0 GT. Mine was $29.5K..... .... ....
Old 2/29/12, 02:48 PM

His numbers are accurate. No option Corvette Coupes have been around 40k since 2007. I don't see why 7k off a 50k car that is not selling well seems wrong to you.

Since the advent of the Grand Sport Corvette, Chevrolet would prefer that you forget that 1lt base coupes exist so they can sell you the higher profit margin GS.

This is one of many dealers offering such prices.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...ow-prices.html
Old 2/29/12, 02:52 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by alrox
His numbers are accurate. No option Corvette Coupes have been around 40k since 2007. I don't see why 7k off a 50k car that is not selling well seems wrong to you.

Since the advent of the Grand Sport Corvette, Chevrolet would prefer that you forget that 1lt base coupes exist so they can sell you the higher profit margin GS.

This is one of many dealers offering such prices.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...ow-prices.html
------------------
I saw your link, if it's even only partially true, it is a GREAT deal for a super sports car. I've always loved Corvettes, Mustang GT was cheaper and more practical. Both are excellent examples of affordable American world-beaters.
Old 2/29/12, 05:03 PM

I don't know about 'normal' pricing, but as I was recently looking at both of the cars in question for purchase (mainly the Mustang, but I looked into vette pricing kind of out of curiosity)...I think a base trim '12 vette could be had for right around $40k. By comparison however, my base '12 Mustang GT cost me a little over $24k. That's a pretty big price difference when comparing base model to base model.
Old 2/29/12, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
------------------
I saw your link, if it's even only partially true, it is a GREAT deal for a super sports car. I've always loved Corvettes, Mustang GT was cheaper and more practical. Both are excellent examples of affordable American world-beaters.
In regards to practicality, this makes me wonder why in the hell GM went out of there way to create a brand-new ground up Camaro while maintaining the design elements of old. , mainly the poor visibility and low roof line.

All GM needed to do was design an aggressive looking 2-door version of the G8, which had all right elements.

Last edited by kn7671; 2/29/12 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT vs 2012 Corvette (base) ?