Search this Thread

Old 2/20/12, 03:46 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Vette FTW!!!
Old 2/20/12, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGAN
Perceptually I think corvette is more for midlife crisis people and retired people
or anyone who can afford one and really wants a true sports car.

and mustang appeals to all generations
because it's cheap by comparison and seats more than 2 people.
and widely acknowledged (people say wow that's a good car)
almost half as often as they say the same about a Corvette.

The above was used for laughter, but in reality, there's no really good comparison between the Corvette and Mustang GT because while both have V8 engines, six speed transmissions and 2 doors along with their 4 tires, these two cars are exceedingly different.

As to which would win, if we're talking about pure performance, the Mustang GT has NO chance against a currently new Corvette. While it may share similar performance in this area or that, the overall picture puts the Corvette well ahead. Part of the difference is cost and that also translates into performance.
Old 2/20/12, 05:52 PM

I've had a lot of different cars, and types of cars. To me, Corvettes and Mustangs are such different animals that it just isn't a case of "which is better". The last car I owned before I bought my current 2012 GT was a 2002 Z06 (that was pristine and had super low miles). I've done a lot of competitive autocrossing and roadracing, so I can appreciate the *fact* that late model Corvettes are a better car when considering all performance metrics.

But, my Mustang is a much better car to drive daily, and I might even say more fun in that application as well. The vettes are usually low enough that you do have to worry, a lot, about scraping the nose or rockers. They're a bit more of a pain to get in and out of. To me the Mustang is just easier to use on a daily basis. Another thing for me is that the Corvette gets too much attention. I'm the type that likes to 'fly under the radar', and the Mustang does a better job of blending in.

I was even considering a C6 vette before getting my current Mustang, but right now I want something I can enjoy driving any day and every day. The vette is more of a sunny weekend car to me, and since I don't even have a garage right now, it just isn't worth it to give up the pros of the Mustang for the better base performance of a vette.
Old 2/20/12, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Since we are comparing cars, why not a base Corvette and a base GTR?

Oh wait, they are two different price points and two entirely different cars.
Old 2/20/12, 06:24 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by R1V3R5
Since we are comparing cars, why not a base Corvette and a base GTR?

Oh wait, they are two different price points and two entirely different cars.
-----------------
^AGREE. Kind of like the comparo between the 2012 Camaro ZL1 v. the $10k cheaper 2012 Mustang Boss 302 LS. HA! Even though I'm making this funny, it is not practical to compare vehicles built for different purposes, and in different price ranges. But, to each his own...
Old 2/20/12, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
-----------------
^AGREE. Kind of like the comparo between the 2012 Camaro ZL1 v. the $10k cheaper 2012 Mustang Boss 302 LS. HA! Even though I'm making this funny, it is not practical to compare vehicles built for different purposes, and in different price ranges. But, to each his own...
Really? I think they are a great comparison. Both are marketed as race ready pony cars. GM just said **** it and put a supercharger on it. The price difference is less than 10k msrp.
Old 2/20/12, 08:46 PM
V6 Member

I owned an older vette and the Mustang is a much better daily driver. I would have to roll in and out of the vette. It was cramped with no conventional trunk. The Mustang offers real world ground clearance and a back seat is necessary once in a while. Never looked back.
Old 2/20/12, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
Really? I think they are a great comparison. Both are marketed as race ready pony cars. GM just said **** it and put a supercharger on it. The price difference is less than 10k msrp.
Does the less than 10k difference include the Gas Guzzler tax on the ZL1, or is that another part of the fine of ownership?

Btw, GM didn't just say "**** it" and put a S/C on it. The ZL1 is a very different car as compared to any other Camaro offered. From the intake to the tires, this version is almost an entirely new/different vehicle. I think the only major components shared between the ZL1 and SS is the transmission and the differential housing.

The ZL1 is a good choice to compare against its target car, the GT500. Also having a supercharger and offering nearly identical power(currently) as the forth-coming ZL1, it would be the only truly logical choice.
Old 2/20/12, 10:13 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
------------
My apologies, the price difference is not $10k, it's actually $8,365, but that is 15%, which is A LOT, and makes the comparison apples to oranges. However, I do NOT agree with your assessment, sir. As Rob mentions below, the (fully loaded) Shelby GT500 at $57,000 and 550HP is a far better comparison to the ZL1 at $56,465 and 580HP (I'm only referring to 2012, not the 2013 650HP Shelby beast coming in a few months). Apples to apples, my friend, IMO that's the only fair $$ comparison.
Motor Trend's article (printed mainly to fuel the domestic pony-war-fire):
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...a/viewall.html
Old 2/21/12, 02:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Wow, didn't think this was gonna be such a hit thread. I was just curious since a buddy is getting one and I never really knew much about vettes (note have I cared, not a big fan)

Yes price wise they aren't similar, but some of you Guys are making it out like I'm comparing a Bugatti to a Smart car. Their Stats are somewhat similar so I was just curious as a never really followed vettes too much.
Old 2/21/12, 02:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
I take it that you have never actually owned one. Im 52 and have no issues getting in and out, the ride quality is very good, and I have zero rattles.
Ha! I've ridden over 500 miles in one and know well enough that GMs magna-ride is a chiropractors best friend. All of GMs interior is so cheap and plastic. (not to mention our 2010 Cadillac Escalade, so awful.)

How many miles are on yours?maybe you got a good one, but with 40k miles it tends to be a tad squeaky.

As for the mid-life crisis comment, that's fairly accurate. For not that much more (and not to mention a used C6 that would eliminate the 8k difference!) you don't see too many people driving Corvettes without grey hair.
Old 2/21/12, 04:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta say that GM still having a 7.0L Engine in the Vette is really cool IMO. Driving a 67 Split Window Stingray with a 427 and then turning around and purchasing a 2007 C5 or whatever with a 427 modern day pushrod is kind of a cool thing. Sporting my 281ci motor in comparison to a 289 that came on my model car back on 67 is just kind of different. Granted this is nothing I would consider when purchasing a car of any kind but a cool afterthought to me.
Old 2/21/12, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

2600 on this one...30K on my last one. So you've rode 500 miles in one car and you base all of your knowledge about them on that one car? Maybe you just got a bad one. Have you ridden in a magnetic ride car?

I don't really think that it is a mid life crisis thing in as much is it is being able to afford one at that age, Yes, I have gray hair. So you are saying that I can't be old and drive a fast car? I've been driving them all my life, even while raising 3 kids. I'll stop when I die.

Originally Posted by 2011GT/CS
Ha! I've ridden over 500 miles in one and know well enough that GMs magna-ride is a chiropractors best friend. All of GMs interior is so cheap and plastic. (not to mention our 2010 Cadillac Escalade, so awful.)

How many miles are on yours?maybe you got a good one, but with 40k miles it tends to be a tad squeaky.

As for the mid-life crisis comment, that's fairly accurate. For not that much more (and not to mention a used C6 that would eliminate the 8k difference!) you don't see too many people driving Corvettes without grey hair.
Old 2/21/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
------------
My apologies, the price difference is not $10k, it's actually $8,365, but that is 15%, which is A LOT, and makes the comparison apples to oranges. However, I do NOT agree with your assessment, sir. As Rob mentions below, the (fully loaded) Shelby GT500 at $57,000 and 550HP is a far better comparison to the ZL1 at $56,465 and 580HP (I'm only referring to 2012, not the 2013 650HP Shelby beast coming in a few months). Apples to apples, my friend, IMO that's the only fair $$ comparison.
Motor Trend's article (printed mainly to fuel the domestic pony-war-fire):
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...a/viewall.html
My assessment? Go to Fords web site and read. They advertise the Boss as a race ready car with race compound tires. GM states the ZL1 was built to be track compatible right from the factory. Im not trying to start an e battle but I feel they are very comparable.
Old 2/21/12, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
A lot of cars are "built to be track ready right from the lot" but that doesn't mean they're in the same class. The Boss is a good car to take to the track, but the ZL1 is designed to reach the limits of the body style, much like the GT500. The Boss may be comparable, but I doubt there is any measurable category in which the Boss will match or beat the ZL1. As such, they're not truly comparable vehicles.
Old 2/21/12, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
A lot of cars are "built to be track ready right from the lot" but that doesn't mean they're in the same class. The Boss is a good car to take to the track, but the ZL1 is designed to reach the limits of the body style, much like the GT500. The Boss may be comparable, but I doubt there is any measurable category in which the Boss will match or beat the ZL1. As such, they're not truly comparable vehicles.
Very true, but were comparing a Camaro to a Mustang.
Old 2/21/12, 04:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Very true, but were comparing a Camaro to a Mustang.
You mean a Corvette and a mustang?

I know the camaro and mustang are essentially the same class of vehicle, but the ZL1 is Chevy's attempt to outclass everything Mustang. It's the best of the bunch, the top of the line. It infringes on the corvette's power range and would infringe on the track numbers as well if it had something other than a cheap, heavy, plastic boat attached to the frame. The Boss is the "track-ready" Mustang and the ZL1 was aimed directly at it.

If the '13 GT500 can, as the article posted mentioned, pull a few tricks from the Boss and turn power into acceleration, then the ZL1 has been one-upped. I think the changes to the GT500 suspension and braking are of more importance than the extra 200hp over the Boss. But the Boss just isn't capable stock for stock of keeping up with the ZL1 on a repeated basis. That, to me, puts the ZL1 in a different class.
Old 2/21/12, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
2600 on this one...30K on my last one. So you've rode 500 miles in one car and you base all of your knowledge about them on that one car? Maybe you just got a bad one. Have you ridden in a magnetic ride car?

I don't really think that it is a mid life crisis thing in as much is it is being able to afford one at that age, Yes, I have gray hair. So you are saying that I can't be old and drive a fast car? I've been driving them all my life, even while raising 3 kids. I'll stop when I die.
Did you read my comment? Sorry I know I'm a young whipper snapper that doesn't agree with you. Haha.... We had a Cadillac Escalade that we put 35k miles in. The magna ride SUCKED on that too. I've ridden in about 15 GM vehicles with magna ride, and guess what..?

I can afford a 2011 Mustang GT/CS(by myself not with mommy and daddy), and I'm 19.
I could afford a Corvette just as easily. They are not that expensive. You can buy a 2006 for around $25,000. So the age thing is out, it's that you cannot drive a corvette daily, not easily. Most 20-30 year old people can't afford a corvette and a second car to drive daily like a 50 year old.
Old 2/21/12, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

an Escalade? Really?

Originally Posted by 2011GT/CS
Did you read my comment? Sorry I know I'm a young whipper snapper that doesn't agree with you. Haha.... We had a Cadillac Escalade that we put 35k miles in. The magna ride SUCKED on that too. I've ridden in about 15 GM vehicles with magna ride, and guess what..?

I can afford a 2011 Mustang GT/CS(by myself not with mommy and daddy), and I'm 19.
I could afford a Corvette just as easily. They are not that expensive. You can buy a 2006 for around $25,000. So the age thing is out, it's that you cannot drive a corvette daily, not easily. Most 20-30 year old people can't afford a corvette and a second car to drive daily like a 50 year old.
Old 2/21/12, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not picking sides, but it's hard to take seriously anyone who says the ride in an escalade sucks. Just saying.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT vs 2012 Corvette (base) ?